“Quintessentially English tea room – a great little tea room with stunning period surroundings on the Lisburn road with f” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maryville House

2 Maryville Park, Belfast BT9 6LN, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #13 of 50 Belfast B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have visited Maryville Tea Rooms (just off the Lisburn Road) on a few separate occasions - for breakfast meetings, a lunch meeting and an elevenses meeting thus far...I will be back, of course!

The breakfast was faultless, homemade mini fry up cooked to perfection - we ate in a side room for privacy as it was a business meeting - quirky old church pews made comfy with cushions galore.

TIP: Ask for a Suki Tea Pot! The only problem I have had and it has been on two occasions now is the tea which is served with a tea strainer thus leaving floating tea leaves - recently I requested a suki tea pot to be used and this worked - no floaties.

There's a small area for free parking which can be like magic dust on the busy Lisburn road hence why I plan meetings here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Northen Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Did not stay here but took two friends for afternoon tea. Although it advises on their web site that booking is essential, the place was empty. When we arrived we were told to "sit where you like". A waitress then came, banged two plastic menu holders on the table and said pick your sandwiches and your drink and left us! The table itself was full of tea stains and had obviously not been wiped from previous use. I know the tables are meant to have a 'distressed' look but the sides would need a thorough cleaning - I agree with a previous reviewer, a table cloth would be better. One of the china cups had a large chip out of it that was totally tea stained. More transport cafe than tea room! All this was complimented by a used dirty napkin lying on the floor. The food was fine but the whole experience was awful - from the attitude of the staff to the state of the room. Would not recommend and will not be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Meath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The staff are so friendly here and our room (called Earl Grey) was really spacious for us and our 6yo daughter. It's a really calm and quiet place in a really nice part of Belfast. Afternoon Tea was good enough to be photographed and there was a great breakfast selection. Tiny issue - new toilet seat needed in the en-suite - one that covers the toilet bowl - but I mentioned that in the room review in-house, so it has probably been addressed already. I'd love to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Great staff, lovely food, fabulous room..all in all great stay loved every minute would highly recommend

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the weekend of the 16th after purchasing a Grab One deal. Overall we had a really nice stay! Our room was the Darjeeling, which was on the top floor. I really liked this room as it felt really homely and beautifully designed. I also hate most bathrooms in hotels and guesthouses as they tend to be windowless and stuffy, but the little stain glass window effect between the bathroom and the bedroom somehow eradicated that problem for me. The best thing about Maryville was the cakes and scones left out in the evenings. There was also plenty of milk and butter and teabags if you needed them! My internet connection on my laptop in the room wasn't great but to be honest I don't know if this was the connection or my laptop. Breakfast was lovely! We also had the free afternoon tea, which was beautiful. I love their scones. On leaving, we went to get some scones and coffee to go but the lady gave them to us for free. Found out my boyfriend had left a good tip after breakfast but it was still really nice of her and she gave us plenty. We drove into the city most times, which is only 5mins -ten mins. We got a taxi once which was only about £7. Would definitely recommend this B&B and might revisit myself if I get the chance!

Louth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed in Maryville for one night. When we arrived staff were very nice. We stayed in the Earl Grey room which was a nice room. I would agree with the previous review they should change their toilet seat. I did find the room cold when we arrived but there was a rad to plug in which was fine. We had lunch in the cafe and it was lovely however quite expensive. The one complaint we did have was that we were told that if we had any issues during the night there was two mobiles that were pre-programmed if we needed any help during the night. I did find it strange that there was no one at the B&B at night. When we arrived home after our dinner we had trouble opening the front door, it took us nearly twenty minutes to open it. I tried calling the number I had booked on but there was no answer. We eventually got the door opened, but I did wonder at that stage what would have happended if we could not get it open, there was no one to contact. I mentioned it when I was leaving and I was told that there was a 'nack' to opening the door, pity they didn't tell us that when we were given the key. However other than that mishap breakfast was nice, not wonderful but nice. The staff were very helpful, it is outside the city about a ten minute drive to get into the centre.

Dublin Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We just returned from a two night stay in Maryville House. I got a deal on Grab One, which was very good value including 2 nights B&B plus an afternoon tea for two. We stayed in the Earl Grey Room which was a room with a double and a single bed, it was a nice room at the top of the house facing the Lisburn Rd - but quiet and comfortable. We had an en suite bathroom which was on the small side - no place to hang a towel except for one small radiator. And the one thing I would complain about was the toilet seat was very loose and in my opinion should be changed - otherwise the room was more than adequate.
The location of Maryville House is just off the Lisburn rd as I said before - we thought it was a very good location as there was a bus stop just across the road to go straight in to the city. We parked our car in the carpark and we did not move it until the day we left - it was very handy.
There are lots of good shops along the Lisburn road - actually just up from Maryville on the right side of road is Arcadia deli - which is worth a visit for sure - breads, cold meats, olives and great cheeses - absolutely lovely.
We dined locally as well just up the road on the two nights we were there - Shu and The Chelsea Bar, We also had a drink in Lillies - which when we visited - we noticed the food looked very appetizing.
We had afternoon tea on the day we checked out of Maryville which was very nice. The Tea room is a lovely bright and airy room and they have a nice selection of different teas.
The staff we met were very friendly and welcoming the girl we had most dealings with was called Rose - she was polite and helpful.
I would not hesitate in recommending Maryville House as a nice place to stay in a good location.

Room Tip: Earl Grey room is a nice room