“Great theater” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lyric Theatre

Lyric Theatre
55 Ridgeway Street, Belfast BT9 5FB, Northern Ireland (Stranmillis)
0044 28 9038 5685
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 154 attractions in Belfast
Type: Theaters
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Lyric Theatre is Northern Ireland's full-time producing theatre. The new theatre opened in May 2011 to great critical acclaim. The award winning building is built in traditional Belfast red brick, glass and iroko wood and the cafe bar offer beautiful views over the River Lagan and Stranmillis Embankment.The theatre is open seven days a week with performances usually running in the evenings from Tuesday through to Saturday and matinees on Saturday and Sundays. Contact our box office for more details or check online under "What's On".Our cafe serves coffee/tea and light lunches and is open every day. A brunch menu is available on Sunday mornings.As well theatrical productions, we also offer backstage tours, a programme of theatre school and professional learning and corporate hospitality.
7 attraction reviews
“Great theater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We've seen two plays here so far (Minsk 2011 and In the Window), both in the Naughton Studio, and we've had great experiences on both occasions. The staff is very gracious and helpful, the seats are relatively comfortable for a studio theater, and the productions were both very good. They have a great little cafe as well, with some decent wines and charcuterie. Great atmosphere, my wife and I love theater, and are excited to have one fairly close to us!

Visited November 2012
Glynis W, Marketing Officer at Lyric Theatre, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thanks for your great comments!

4 attraction reviews
“Fab”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just was very good although was there to watch my child preform in the school choir and not see one of their productions.

Visited February 2012
Drogheda, Ireland
“Concert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

It was a bit hard to find as we did not know Belfast....but when we got there it was excellent! Well done to all involved

38 attraction reviews
“Naughton Studio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

A small group of us (9no.) went to the Lyric this afternoon - many of us for the first time, others returning visitors. We were treated to an outstanding afternoon in the Naughton Studio as opposed to the main auditorium; it was an absolutely perfect environment for the performing actors and for the smaller audience. Instead of all viewing from the one side / front of a stage, the play was delivered on the open space / floor and surrounded on 3 sides by 4? rows of tiered seating - we almost felt part of the scene.
Sheelagh OKane, Chris McCurry, Brendan Fleming were excellent - very convincing indeed, with even "real tears" and both Jo Donnelly and Bernadette Brown were also very effective indeed - each playing their parts exquisitely.
Well done to all - an absolutely brilliant performance with a standing ovation to end!
Thank you.

Visited October 2012
Glynis W, Marketing Officer at Lyric Theatre, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thanks for your kind comments valtpal!
Downpatrick
“Highlight of my weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband took me to Belfast for the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. On the Sunday he surprised me with brunch and a show at the Lyric. I hadn't been in the new theatre but had heard wonderful reports about it.I was blown away by it.

First, the lunch. I went for the French toast with bacon and maple syrup and it was devine. The coffee was the best I've had. My husband went for the fry and it was perfect.

We hung around and went to the show in the afternoon. The Long Road was the story of a family's journey after losing their son to knife crime. The acting was incredible, the story compelling. It was simply brilliant.

The staff and the facilities were first class. The building is bright, warm, friendly and inviting. In fact, it was so good we've already bought tickets for Macbeth and their Christmas show. I'm sooooo proud to have this theatre on our doorstep. The perfect Sunday retreat.