“Great place for a drink in the sunshine” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cutters Wharf

Cutters Wharf
Lockview Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland (Stranmillis)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #377 of 783 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Stranmillis
Description: Cutters Wharf is renowned for those lazy, hazy days that we all love, when we can chill out by the river regardless of the weather.Ideal for a BBQ party or cocktail style event outside, Cutters is the place to be for any event! From al fresco dining areas outside with TV screens to never miss a match to the cosines of the casual downstairs bar with its riverside views where you can always enjoy the latest sporting event on one of many screens or listen to one of our live bands in the evening. Whilst upstairs you have informal dining at its best, in literally the comfiest restaurant in the city. With wide open windows to enhance your dining experience, there is nowhere quite like this in Belfast. Bring your friends & family to celebrate a special occasion or butter up your colleagues with a workplace party. Cutters really does have something for everyone!
Berkshire
“Great place for a drink in the sunshine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recently spent an afternoon here in the outdoor area enjoying the glorious sunshine and some ice cold drinks.

The bar is next to the River Lagan which is a lovely setting and especially nice on a warm summers day.

Previous reviewers have mentioned problems with dress code, but I was there with a group of around 10 people (male and female) and we didn't experience any issues. We also had children in the group and this was not a problem either.

A great place to spend a Saturday afternoon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Table Arrangements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My friends and I met up last week after work for some dinner, we choose to meet at Cutters Wharf as we hadn't been there for a while.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly member of staff in the bar, but to our disappiontment were informed that food was not served in the bar after 5pm but we could dine up stairs, not what we had in mind as it was a nice evening and we would have liked to had a table outside by the river.
We made our way upstairs, we were very impressed by the decor etc. another friendly staff member showed us to a table in the centre of the restaurant which seemed fine.
There was a good selection of courses on the menu and they all sounded good, there was also a reasonable priced pre theatre menu of 2 or 3 courses which suited us so we ordered the 2 course choice. Indeed all of us agreed the food was very good.
My only negative would be as the evening went on we became increasingly bothered by other customers pushing in and out past our table as the tables were so close together, maybe something for management address.
Would recommend the food any time, it was lovely, but still would have liked a table in the bar or out side in the evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Béal Feirste, null, United Kingdom
“Summers Day”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Over the years I have had the pleasure of many summers days out at Cutters Wharf. Today however I left extremely embarrassed and upset over how I was treated by management.

My friends from Southern Ireland were staying in Belfast and I told them I would collect them and take them for some lunch at Cutters as it was a beautiful day. On arrival we choose a seat in the sun and went inside and ordered and paid for our food and drinks. As I waited for my friend to order at the bar I was looked up and down by a staff member, I felt extremely uncomfortable as he stared. He approached me and told me that I had to cover up. At first I thought he was talking about my tattoo, but he then said that he had asked due to my sleeveless T-Shirt. I thought he was joking as it was a warm summer day and our table was outside. My T-Shirt was sleeveless but by no means a sports T-Shirt or offensive. He explained to me that the bar had a strict door policy and I said this was fine, as I have absolutely no problem with a bar having a door policy, and I then explained that I had already ordered and paid for my food and drinks. At this, he walked off and talked to his bar staff, and yet again I had the bar staff and the customers at the bar look over and stare at me. My friend was still at the bar paying and in front of all the other patrons at the bar he told her I should not have been served. I felt like I had committed a crime as everyone stared at me.

Annoyed at the situation I asked to speak to Him. I barely got to say that I was embarrassed and annoyed at how he dealt with the situation before he cut me off and said "Are you going to let me speak?" I was gobsmacked at his reaction. He explained yet again that there was a sign on the door explaining the dress code that I should have seen on the way in. To be honest, when out for lunch with friends on a sunny day I don't tend to read a dress code before I dine.

I then made my way to our table, had a nice lunch and a chat with my friends. While having lunch I noticed that the majority of females in the beer garden had sleeveless tops. Surely the dress code shouldn't ask only men to cover up? As this would be sexist.

About 30 minutes later I went to use the toilet. He yet again looked me up and down and told me I needed to cover up even though earlier I had already explained that I did not have a coat. I am sure most people don't in such heat. He said that I would not be served again. I returned to my friends to finish our drinks and He followed me to our table and told us to leave in front of a packed beer garden.

The policy seems to me to be sexist and the way the situation was dealt with was awful. If I had been called to the side in private and management admitted fault for serving me in the first place, I would have forgot about the situation and made sure I wore sleeves when I was next there.

I have never made a complaint to a restaurant or a bar in my life but today I left the venue frustrated, embarrassed and angry. I thought I had made the right choice going to Cutters on such a warm day but I hope no one else left as embarrassed as I did.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northern Ireland
“Something missing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Despite its nice location, its inviting appearance and a cetain charm this riverside bar lacks an identity. It is certainly a nice place to stop and have a drink and the pub grub is acceptable but the buzziness of the place is not complemented by great atmosphere or a feeling of comfort. Maybe it was an off day for me but I felt it did not live up to its promise.

Visited July 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Stupid dress code”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My colleague and I had planned to run along the tow path and finish our 7-mile run at Cutters Wharf with a cool refreshing pint. However when we went into the bar to order our drinks, we were refused as I was wearing a singlet top. The day was very hot. I had just run 7-miles. I was still decently dressed, but no, they didn't want my business. I agree with a previous reviewer (bangorcodown) about the stupidity of this rule. On their website they describe Cutters Wharf as a place ‘renowned for those LAZY, hazy days when we can CHILL OUT by the river regardless of the weather’. They mention ‘cosiness of the CASUAL downstairs bar with its riverside views’ and ‘INFORMAL dining at its best, in literally the comfiest restaurant in the city’ and that ‘Cutters really does have something for everyone!’. These are all words encouraging an image of relaxation and ease at Cutters Wharf - unless you are a man wearing no sleeves on your top. Reading other reviews here, they don't seem to take customers and customer service very seriously, which seems a bit dangerous in this recession climate. This was my very first visit to Cutters Wharf and is now probably going to be my last. If they don't want my business when I wear a singlet top, they aren't going to have it when I am wearing a shirt, etc.