“Wont return” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #127 of 783 Restaurants in Belfast
Cuisines: European, English, Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: ROBERT STEWARTS SPIRIT GROCERS is located on a narrow country road that threads its way out of the leafy glades of south Belfast via the Upper Malone precinct. The road continues onwards in the general direction to the town of Lisburn which in recent years was decreed a CITY. The actual premises is a primarily two zone affair.A public bar of which no decent pub should be devoid of. This coupled to a nooks and crannies lounge bar handsomely ajoined with a slightly more formal dinning facility called the company room.
“Wont return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Decided to visit for a quiet drink. on arrival one of the bar staff was standing around the front door, did not greet us in anyway. Walked into the bar and one other couple where sitting having a drink. stood at the bar waiting to be served for at least 5 mins. Then the barman who had been outside came behind the bar to serve us. Found hin to be fairly rude. did not engage with us in anyway and had an offer of a menu been made we may have decided to have a meal. A few more customers arrived and the food being served did look good. howeever the unfriendly attitude of staff has put us of off. perhaps this was because we where not regulars

Visited April 2013
BobStewartsBelfast, General Manager at Robert Stewarts, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Concerned reply to insertion posted 17th April " Won`t Return "
Apologies people who were not embraced in the manner to which you are maybe
accustomed to.
It is not unreasonable to assume that these visitors were first time patrons to Bobs.We state this
as regular or even semi regular customers know to ring the brass bell hanging at both our bar counters in each bar room both of which have signs stating "ring for service".
Anyway this is of no help now to these folk. Regarding the barman being rude it is hard to delve into this one if as they state there was none or little engagement. Bob Stewarts is a public house that serves food so when anyone who is a stranger enters the premises, it is assumed that they are in for a drink.The request for food is an action usually initiated by the person or persons who are embibing drinks let it be soft or alcohol.That could be one of the reasons why we do not apply for a childrens certificate so as to permit kiddie winkles on to the premises.

Bob's is an adult environment for folks with an adult mindset.

n ireland
“Bobtastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Have to laugh at some of the reviews on here....some people are just plain ridiculous but need to realise that it's peoples livelihood there rubbishing.

Luckily the owners need not worry as they run one of the best eating establishments in the greter Belfast area.

From the moment my wife and I arrived we were led to our table, drinks order taken, menu's left and specials explained. The waitress took our order with no paper or pen, then put the right plates down in the right place.

Food was delicious as always, special mention goes to the fondant which was the best I've had, more like a brownie on the outside and not too heavy.

3 courses each and an extra side on a saturday night...£41.50. Expensive? Don't think so....

We will be back....soon hopefully!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greeting Bobtastic fans, muchas gracias for your helpful comments regarding our humble public house. Next time you pay us a visit, press the flesh with us and we will have a yarn and a swallie.
N.Ireland
“Really good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ate here on Easter Monday with family. I had the fish and chips and it was the best I'd had in a long time. Service was a bit slow but the food was most definitely worth waiting for.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
BobStewartsBelfast, Manager at Robert Stewarts, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Acknowledgement of positive insertion dated 8/4/2013 entitled "really good food"
The few lines regarding the visit to BOBs by this person is helpful in that to have stated" Good Food" would have pleasesd our team who work in the engine room..
The beauty is in the eye of the beholder adage is never far away from all our lips when we pass comment on things /experiences in life.
Hence good enough for us is the term 'Good Food'.
Apologies for the slow service but on Easter Monday it is a little difficult to guage the staffing level required.
Many thanks for your considered opinion Jill L
Cheers
Belfast
“Worrying!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Just been to this so called well let me call it an eating establishment I haven't been more horrified in my life at the amount of abnoxious signs all over the place which I found rather intimidating all I can say about the food is severely bland and overpriced and from what I hear concerning the owner he should be sectioned with immediate effect I can safely say I will not be returning to be offended what an experience!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Response to insertion 8th April entitled"Worrying"
Truly worrying that someone should have had such a traumatic day at Bobs what with signs jumping out at you ( big word, should be spelt 'obnoxious') trying to alert the dopey in some cases as to what times the kitchen at Bobs fires up.We have been down this road before with certain folk on occasions past who, for example, may have an elderly person or persons with them who just blunder on in at times when the food dispensing portion of the day is not in operation.Of course the two signs situated (as prominent as we can make them) suggesting the odd visit to the optician could be a good move if one cannot see / read the sign on the actual door you have to open to get into the premises are there to alert visitors as to when meals are served and not served.
With regard to the "food bland " dig well, who knows, maybe a head cold was in force that day (we liked the word severely)....
The reference to the price structure is a tired mantra.
Then the "and from what I hear" school of thought re the owner - he certainly would welcome a section away from such angst ridden visitors such as the author of "Worrying", so he informed me
as I dispatch this rebuttal.
Onward and upward. OH, we should like to hold the said author to their word ie "i will not be returning ..."
“Very disappointing, food was awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner went for dinner here last night. I initially ordered soup for starter and the waitress advised me to change my order she said the soup wasn't nice. Alarm bells rang and we should have left then. We both ordered the clam chowder instead for starter, which was disgusting: it was cold, watery, bland and the potatoes in it were hard and really undercooked. Our main course wasn't much better: my partner had the duck which was disgusting too; the portion size was very small and it still had pieces of feather attached to it. My main of fajitas was very bland. Our bill came to £53. It was definitely not worth the money. We paid it but I was very unhappy. When I got home I rang the restaurant and spoke to the manager about this who was extremely rude to me and didn't even offer an apology. I will never be back and would not recommend it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
BobStewartsBelfast, Manager at Robert Stewarts, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Management rebuttal to insertion
"Very disappointing,food awful" 15th March
These two persons ( girl & boy ) who dined with us on Thusrsday evening the14th of March arrived approximately 7.30pm time. The chowder section of the the phone call conversation we just cannot say or add constructive comment on as they made no comment about it at the actual time.
Now on to the comedy section--- duck with feather in tow-- nope this aint the way the modern restaurant operates any more. Duck arrives cleaned from supplier in box of 12 chilled. Re the portion size maybe the old Specsaver syndrome needs envoked on this one as the dish is duck and scallops so hence not a Turkey Buzzard dimension duck. Anyway, on to the Fajitas. What can one say other than in roughly 18 years, through all of the menu changes here at Bobs, the Fajitas are the only dish not to have been taken off for a rest period, ever.

On the matter of the later phone call to Bobs - the words uttered out of the managers mouth was
" ah sure no problem, come back to visit us some time and we shall sort it with a gratis meal ( big word gratis). Unfortunately the woman on the other end of the line was kind of more interested in a 'getting it off your chest session' but the manager was just a smidgen too busy just at that particular moment in the night.
There was enquiry at this stage by the aforementioned manager to the person on the other end of the phone as to the level of competent hearing they had re the words "ah sure no prob come back to visit us some time and we shall sort it out with a gratis meal" but alas on went the rant.
FInal words of manager "good night" CLICK