“The Best Hostel in Belfast by a Country Mile!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Vagabonds to your Saves list
Vagabonds
9 University Road, Belfast BT7 1NA, Northern Ireland (Queen's Quarter)   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The Best Hostel in Belfast by a Country Mile!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have always been a bit wary of hostels after a few bad experiences but my faith is well and truly restored after my stay at Vagabonds! I cannot express how friendly and welcoming all of the staff are who completely made our stay in Belfast a memorable one that we will never forget.
I travelled in a group of 5 to celebrate a 21st birthday and we had no idea what to expect as we rolled up at 7.00am to be welcomed and handed a city map and given a safe place to store our bags until our dormitory was ready.
Vagabonds is uniquely decorated with an array of unusual framed pictures and photographs coupled with quirky furniture like 2 theatre chairs in one of the hallways and road signs on the walls. The bathrooms are modern and extremely fresh and clean with plenty of hot water in the mornings and evenings.
Our favourite part of the trip was the evenings when we rolled into the lounge and eating area to be invited to sit and join the staff and guests for a few drinks and to share a few stories.
We would just like to thank Frank and all of the staff at Vagabonds for quite possibly the best City break we have ever had!

Much love from Manchester (Laura, Heather, Dannii, Lui & Abby) xx

Room Tip: For girls in groups of less than 6 - room 5 is perfect and close to 2 shower rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

When we checked in, everyone thought it was weird that we were staying in Belfast for seven days. Then, seven days later, everyone had changed their plans to stay longer.

The Good:
- Staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming. They really make you feel like family
- Hostel is beautiful and filled with art
- The bathrooms are AWESOME. They're nicer than most people's home bathrooms.
- Breakfast is great! There's one big table and everyone sits and meets, and usually you hang out here the whole time.
- Everyone hangs out. You don't even really need to go out because everyone has such a good time. We still keep in contact with everyone we met!
- Location: there's a ton of restaurants and bars nearby. Boojum burritos... oh my god.
- So clean. The staff cleans every day and they do a great job. Everything is spotless!

The Bad:
- I had to go back to real life after staying here

I love hostels, but after staying at Vagabonds, I don't ever want to stay at a hotel. I don't have a single even kind of sorta bad thing to say. It was an absolutely perfect stay!

Room Tip: Pick the twelve bed dorm and introduce yourself!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

What I meant by the title is this: the reception was really just a small booth in one of the common areas; the staff seem like just another traveller and are ready to just chill out and have a chat with you; the entire setting felt more like a huge group of like-minded people renting a building to live in.
I was only there for one night, but I am definitely going back! In addition, Belfast was one of the nicest cities I've been!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

me and my friends stay here often, we live in Northern ireland but like to stay and go out in belfast city, the prices are great for what you get, staff friendly, its close to everything, its very clean, lovely smoking area, parking and a dominos right outside, have no complaints about this place!

Room Tip: room number 10 is awesome
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Sammamish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We absolutely loved this place. After 9 months of traveling, we are exhausted from tacky dirty frat style hostels and dorms - and this place is a refreshing reminder that hostels can be clean, comfortable, and feel just like home. We only stayed one night but wished we booked two. The place is incredibly clean and comfortable. The place is creatively decorated and feels spacious and quiet, even when lively and full. There are two lounges to choose from. The kitchen is great. The outdoor area has a pool table and is a great place to chill out and hang if its warm. They have a harddrive full of good movies to watch if you are bored. The living rooms are really comfortable. The location is great - we walked everywhere easily. Do the black cab rides through these guys as well! Great deal! Spacious clean rooms with lockers! Breakfast includes peanut butter (the first hostel we have been to in Europe that has it!) Great place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time, came with two of my friends but you could easily have gone alone. great people, amazing atmosphere. You could hang out downstairs and be social or hide away by yourself not that you would want to. Frankie was hilarious and cooked some A-grade meals which you genuinely appreciate travelling. When we went out, Pete was great, my friend and I got carried away and accidentally drank wayyyy too much and Pete kept an eye on us and made sure we didn't loose anything which was really good! Thanks Pete total losties that night. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here last August 2013.

I picked this guesthouse because of its #1 rating here on Tripadvisor. I stayed here for 2 nights only, and it was really great stay, if not for one of its staff only.

It was very close to the Botanic train station with lots of food choices nearby. It's quite a walk to city hall or city proper, so it's in a perfect location, quite near to the happenings and still quite a quiet area. The first staff I met was very helpful since I got here (the french guy staff who has a gf from one of the staff too, is really helpful and accommodating!) he helped me with my luggage, orient me with the guesthouse public areas, and orient me with the city through the map.

Prior to my arrival, Curt (not sure if it's his real name, but seems like he is the manager here) has been very helpful on helping me find people who can join us for our Game of Thrones tour, and when I met him in person he is indeed a nice guy and helped me booking my Causeway Tour when we failed to get more people for the GOT tour. Just double check that they give you back your receipt or booking stub, coz one of my friend did not get it from one of the girl staff who booked for her, so we ended up begging the tour operators (McCombs) to let my friend join us if the bus is not full on the same day.

Breakfast is also good prepared by one of the coolest staff there (dreadlocks guy)and it was a good time to meet other travelers too as you are all sitting in a very large table. Yes they party every night, but perhaps our room in on the 3rd level so noise did not annoy me that much. The toilet and bathroom are very clean and I am very satisfied because there's no time that I had to wait, perhaps my timing is just good! Our room is tidy and with a wired basket to put your bags and lock it.

I just find it "strange" that one time I lost my specs, I looked around but didn't find it so I told the staff that I lost something. I went to the bathroom quickly then when I came back i found it on top of the heater beside my bed where I placed it before i "lost" it. I know nobody went in the bedroom while I was in the bathroom. Then after dinner, it was my toothbrush missing this time! No one will steal a toothbrush! It's just strange that I also put it on top of the heater beside my bed. Just a little twilight zone story I guess :P

It could have been a great stay overall, but not for one staff who really made me feel bad :(
He is the guy staff who likes to sketch (sorry I am really bad with remembering names!). I was sitting at the living room beside the window when it started to get cold, so from time to time I cough (not a grossy cough, it was more like a smoker's cough) And then this guy just shush me! I took it as a joke, so I smiled back to him and said sorry. But it turned out he is not joking! He even show his annoyance with the other guests who were sitting with him at the dining table. I felt embarrassed of what he did, it's really very rude and disappointing because every staff seems to be all nice, but he acted this way, he was not even sorry of what he did. So I just left them all laughing at me as I went back to my room.

Hope he is not with Vagabonds anymore.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Vagabonds? Share your experiences!