“Quaint and good quality” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Newport
“Quaint and good quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I ate here during a recent visit to Belfast. We met with an old trekker friend of mine and her partner and had a fabulous meal.
We ate on the ground floor and whilst it was small and compact it suited us as a group of 4.
Food was great, good selection of wines and beers which allowed me to have a takeaway gift for my dad :-)

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Belfast
“Never ever again - poor food and worse service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I wrote a review of Molly's Yard around Christmas time where I described it as "so-so" but said that I'd maybe give them another chance. I did - but only because we had been bought a gift voucher for Christmas so we didn't really have a choice!

I so wanted them to redeem themselves, I really did. It's a beautiful building with a nice concept. We were seated upstairs which is fine although far too bright and lacking in atmosphere but then it was almost empty. It all went downhill from there. After ordering and with 30 minutes of increasing boredom and annoyance, we heard the waitress phone down and ask where the starters were. A further 10 minutes later they arrived. She clearly knew we were miffed, it was written all over our faces, yet she put the plates down without a word and bustled off. No apology, nothing. My chorizo and cod cheek linguine was a greasy, unpleasant, flavourless mouthful of pasta with one disc of chorizo cut into quarters and three meagre morsels of fish. It was just disgusting. My partner fared better with his porchetta which was tender and tasty yet the long piece of string he found amongst the meat was rather offputting.

The waitress never mentioned this piece of string when she removed the plates without enquiring as to how we had enjoyed our meals. I guess she was too afraid to ask as she was clearly aware how substandard it was.

Main courses arrived within a couple of minutes of the plates being taken. Who knows, maybe they were trying to make up for the earlier delays, but giving the main course before the diners have barely had chance to swallow the starters isn't the way to do it.

In fairness, my main course was enjoyable (ribeye with smoked potato gratin) and normally I'd be very happy with it however my partner's 'special' of skate wing and seabass was just horrible. The sea bass was extremely fishy which indicates a lack of freshness and it was completely overcooked (crispy skin is lovely; a crispy underside is not so!). I could only describe the skate wing as tasting like a fish finger that had been left in dirty dishwater. Not that Molly's would know as the waitress once again neglected to ask us how our meal was.

There was a table of 4 across from us who complained so it wasn't just us suffering. Molly's will definitely not be getting any third chances.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lampeter
“Good, but not very private.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Food was good and service was good. Only complaint was that you're sat very close to the neighbouring tables. It might just be me, but I don't find this very comfortable or relaxing.

Visited March 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Most disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

What a pity! It promises much with clean premises and interesting menu. All three of us had dry boring meals, then we were asked to pay for three courses when we only had two. (There were only four other people in the restaurant) we will not be back

Visited April 2013
“Tiny Cosy Tasty, a bit pricy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Just like the title, four words, will go back for a romantic one! The seabass i has last time was very tasty and tender, the girl who served us had a little smile without any passion, mightbe because my friend and i just ordered water instead of wine.

• Visited December 2012