“Good value.” 5 of 5 stars

121 Fitzroy ave, Belfast BT71HU, Northern Ireland (Queen's Quarter)   |
Durham, United Kingdom
“Good value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Really kind staff there and fabulous breakfast. The location is not very near the city center, but you know, the Belfast is small. You can walk to city center in about 10 minutes. But there are some noise from other customer during the night. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The cooker is really good. We enjoy several dinner there, it is cheap (only £3 for dinner) and delicious.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Neots, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good location, although parking was on the side of the road and a bit of a nightmare at times, we stayed here for a couple of nights in an 11 bed dorm and something that struck us as a bit silly was that we weren't assigned to beds, they told us to go upstairs and choose one, then let them know which one we were in, however the dorm was such as mess, with people's possessions thrown all over the place that we weren't sure which ones were free. In light of this, when we went out through the day, my friend and I would make it obvious that our beds were taken, leaving possessions such as books and pyjamas on our beds, however one night when we returned to the hostel our things had been moved off our beds and thrown on the floor and replaced by other people's. My friend went downstairs to complain about this and they told her there was nothing they could do, we just had to remove the other persons belongings and replace them with our own. We did this, however a few minutes later the girl who had moved my things came in and was obviously annoyed that her things had been moved, I explained that this had been my bed for several nights and she moved her things to another bed. I was then sat next to my bed with my possessions left all over it when a guy came in and threw his bag on my bed and started to unpack, feeling that I'd made it very obvious that this bed was taken I again explained that this was my bed and he went off into another room to try and find a spare one. I then went down to complain, as by this point my friend and I felt unable to leave our dorm in case our possessions were lost or our beds taken, I was again told that there was nothing could be done.
Other than the bed issue the rest of this hostel was OK. WiFi was good and there was a wide range of hot breakfasts included in the price of the hostel. There was some decoration work going on whilst we were there and the place was relatively clean, just messy.
The only other thing that annoyed us was our experience on the first night, when people were coming in and out of the dorms as if trying to find someone, after a while someone opened the door and whispered someone else's name, before the manager came in, turned the light on and pulled someone out of bed before escorting him out of the dorm. We weren't entirely sure what was going on here, but it caused a great deal of sleep disturbance at about 3am.
I wouldn't go back to this hostel due to the lack of sleep and the fear of losing my bed or my belongings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
laganbackpackers, Owner at Lagan Backpackers, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
My appologies. In future i will be employing a security gaurd that just stand in your dorm room all day incase someone misses the fact that you have pajamas under your pillow and attempt to take your bed.
We will also impose a 10pm curfew so that no one can enter or leave shared dorm rooms. Like in your case where a person getting very ill and me fetching him to take him to hospital at 1:40am after his friend left the room to seek my help. I should have let him die. At least you would not have been discomforted for 30 seconds. I mean its a dorm room as well. How do your room mates dare!.

Again my sinsere apologies
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Staff are extremely helpful and friendly. You get a hot breakfast included, which is unusual for a hostel. Not exactly central, however, it's less than a 5 minute walk to the centre. Less than 2 minutes from good coffee, meals and decent bars. The lovely staff and good location will have me coming back the next time i'm in Belfast

• Stayed February 2013
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hostel is on a quiet street that's only a minute walk away from some great attractions. The staff is super friendly and helpful - upon arriving I had to get to an ER, they checked to see if the nearest one was still open, and made sure to check in with me several times after I returned. They made the stressful situation so much simpler. On top of that they have showers with very hot water and great water pressure. After weeks of travel I was in heaven taking a shower!!

Room Tip: They let you see the room and choose what bed you want, which is way better than just being assigned...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I loved the location (not so central but close to nice places) and the staff were friendly. The breakfast was also good. The big bad point was the state of our room, VERY humid and mouldy and not so clean, the same about the bathroom. I know it's a great price and there are good things but you just don't feel good in such a room in the middle of the winter.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
laganbackpackers, Owner at Lagan Backpackers, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Really this is a real Review? The review below you complain about the rooms being to cold. And like you have never used the site before and this is a first review as well. Yoiu guys get a life
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Friendly staff in this run-down hostel. Our room was freezing. Very noisy at night, too. There was ony 1 shower in working order. 25€ pp is too expensive for this. Go elsewhere if possible. Poor value for money, cold rooms and 1 hot shower to share among 3 floors of rooms!

• Stayed December 2012
Really this is a reall Review? The review above you complain about the rooms being to humid!!!! For you is to cold with one shower when there is 7 in the hostel
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

After reading the reviews online, I was real disapointed on my stay here. I found the house to be a little dingy and dirty and the mattress was too soft for me and didnt fit my bed right. But you get what you pay for, right? The local area was quiet though and there was a good opportunity to meet people.
I think maybe if i return to belfast i would stay closer to the centre. Maybe if there were improvements here i may return as the price is right.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Lagan Backpackers? Share your experiences!