“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Byblos

Byblos
8-10 Amelia St, Belfast BT2 7GS, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)
+44 28 90236266
Neighborhood: Golden Mile
South coast England
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Staying at the Europa hotel, there is a wide range of restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Byblos, is one of these, just a one minute walk from the Europa. We arrived, without booking, at about 7pm on a Friday in August. We were able to be seated, but the place soon filled up.

This is a family run restaurant enterprise andvwe observed all three (male) family members working hard, and effectively as a team. The atmosphere is very welcoming, friendly and efficient. This is a BYO establishment (bring your own alcohol), and there is an 'Offie' (off licence wine store) just across the road. Byblos does not even charge for corkage (a modest levy on brought in drinks) which (in my world - I am not local) is amazing.

I asked about the reason for not selling alcoholic drinks (where restaurants make most profit from); and was told that the required licence costs in the region of £40,000. Astonishing.

Did I mention the food? (See pic). This was one of the nicest meals out I have had for some time. Fantastic combination of flavours and textures, but not overwhelming in volume. When back in Belfast, I shall definitely return. Also excellent value for money.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Belfast, United Kingdom
“great authentic food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Wonderful authentic food I havn't tasted since living in the Middle east. the Baklava was the best I've ever tasted I would recommend anyone to try as it's made in the restaurant by one of the staff.

The service is incredible, so friendly and homely. It's bring your own

Highly recommended, a meal for 4 with large £30 platter, two mains, 4 starters and two desserts - £80

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint John, Canada
“Great meal and great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My partner and I had an opportunity to eat at Byblos on July 3 late in the evening. We arrived in Belfast after 9 pm at night and were starving. After checking at our hotel, we happened upon Byblos by about 1020 pm and they were kind enough to let us come in and order and enjoy our meal even though they were closing up. WE REALLY APPRECIATED THAT!

The food was terrific and service very quick and polite.

Highly recommend this spot to all.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great for a post-work dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Byblos has a good mid-week dinner offer of starter and main for £9.95. I took advantage of this recently and was very impressed by what was on offer.

The place has a relaxed diner atmosphere. Food is prepared and cooked in an open kitchen behind the bar, so you can see everything as it happens, which always inspires confidence!

My partner and I ordered spiced cauliflower with yoghurt dip and hummus starters. For mains we had lamb kebabs and vegetable stuffed vine leaves. All four dishes were cooked to a very high standard.

There were only a couple of vegetarian main courses available, but most of the starters were veggie, and these could easily be ordered as side portions.

Staff were friendly and service was efficient. Portion sizes could perhaps be slightly bigger, but our appetites were definitely satisfied. I think there is a bring-your-own drink policy, but I didn't check.

This is a great spot for a relaxed post-work dinner without spending a fortune. Two courses plus soft drinks came to about £22. I'll be back!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Authentic great value lebanese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Went to Byblos with a few friends for dinner - great food and nice evening. I've been a big fan of Byblos for a long tine and often try their great value lunch. First time in for dinner and it was great. Very good quality ingredients - we shared the stuffed vine leaves, hommous and chicken - all very good. For the main I had the lamb - very tender with nice marinade. Really do recommend Byblos for lunch or dinner!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere