“Exceptional professionalism and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast

Save Saved
You added The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast to your Saves list
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-3 Great Victoria Street, Belfast BT2 7BQ, Northern Ireland (Golden Mile)   |
Ranked #9 of 44 hotels in Belfast
NNorthern Ireland
“Exceptional professionalism and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night which included an evening meal. Professional service from all the staff we encountered. The meal and attention to service were the BEST we have ever experienced. Any minor problems were sorted out promptly. If this hotel could have captured our visit on camera they could use it in training classes in how to provide a first class service even down to how the Night Porter dealt with some angry clients when the smoke alarm went off in the early hours when some absolute idiot thought it a good idea to start smoking in his or her room. This incident was completely out of the hands of the hotel staff and earned them my sympathy. Some may consider this hotel a little pricey but it is worth every penny to experience such wonderful food and exceptional service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie R, Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Avajd,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit. I have passed on your kind comments to our Team. We are very proud of the team we have at The Fitzwilliam Hotel and fully appreciate that it is they that really make the difference to our guests' experiences. I hope to be welcoming you and your wife back in the very near future.

Kind Regards,

1,476 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Donegal Town, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Myself and my mother stayed here for 1 night as we were in Belfast on a shopping trip for her birthday. As it was Valentines weekend, I was unsure about booking the restaurant for dinner but I am so glad I did. They had a set menu which looked lovely but included a cocktail which we didnt want so the waiter said we could have the Pre-Theatre menu instead (we were definitely outside the usual time for this). This was a fraction of the cost of the regular menu so it was an extremely nice gesture which we didnt even ask for! This level of service continued as there was a bottle of wine included in our package and the manager very kindly said we could split into a few glasses of red & white to accommodate us - I know other hotels would not have been so kind (and again we didnt ask - it was suggested when i ordered a glass of red). Our waiter Alex was very attentive, friendly and professional (as were all the staff). The food was amazing and breakfast was equally as good with very tasty vegetarian sausages! The hotel is right in the centre but noise isnt an issue (we were on the 2nd floor). Rooms were lovely dcorated and the CD player playing classical music when we checked into the room was a lovely touch. I have to say that our entire experience was just fantastic and I will definitely be booking to stay in this hotel again on my next trip to Belfast.

If you are staying in Belfast dont book anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear AnneMG23,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We were thrilled to welcome you as our guest. I have passed on your wonderful review to our restaurant team to enjoy, especially Alex. We all look forward to your return.

Kind Regards
kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had a lovely time in the Fitzwilliam Hotel. A very good hotel for a central stay in Belfast, everything within walking distance. The hotel is quite a modern design, sharp lines etc. the front of house staff are very friendly on arrival. There is a nice lobby with a big gas fire to sit in front off after a long days shopping. Breakfast is good with cereals, bread, ham/cheeses, pastries, juices, fruit to choose from along with the standard breakfast menu containing your usual cooked breakfast etc. The bedrooms are a very good size, plenty of room and a great shower again in a good sized bathroom. The only issues we had was with maintenance within the hotel. Light bulb missing in the corridor, not replaced even though it was pointed out to staff. No bathrobes in the room, you have to ring housekeeping or reception to get them. This we did but could get no answer from housekeeping and had to ring reception3/4 times in order to speak to someone but still didn't get them. Small things but do expect better in a hotel of this quality. From a parking point of view, mccauslands car park is 1min from the hotel and have a 5pound overnight rate.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The staff in this hotel did not have the professionalism to work in a 2 star hotel and the night staff I would not put on the door of a nightclub. Hotel nice enough but staff ruined our experience. I can safely say that I will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CianLanders, General Manager at The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Mr M,
Thank you for your comments which we value and have considered very carefully. We have a security presence in the hotel for the protection of our guests and like all city centre establishments this is nothing extraordinary. We have a policy in place regarding the behaviour of our residents which is there to ensure all our customers can enjoy a friendly atmosphere in the Hotel. It is unfortunate that you do not feel you were dealt with appropriately on the night in question however security and life safety are our priority. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Yours Sincerely
Cian Landers
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

we enjoyed our stay at the Fitzwilliam and would have no problem staying there again if we were in Belfast. It's very conveniently located in the city centre, close to everything; it's comfortable with good sized bedrooms for a city centre hotel. Service is friendly, particularly the concierge service. We ate one night in the restaurant which was fine.

We didn't care that much for the bar which we found a pretty odd place but that's probably a matter of personal taste and despite lots of staff it can be difficult to get service. The very comfortable lobby with its large fire would be more to our taste.

There seems to be a suggestion that it's 5 star hotel, which it's definetly not. It's a good 4 star. There were no slippers, bath robes or water in the rooms, all of which are standard in a 5 star. There has been a lot on interior design thought put into the overall decor and look of the hotel which is beginning to show signs of wear and tear (a bit of costcutting?) and the overall attention to detail that is the mark of a 5 star is not there. But they're charging 5 star prices in the bar. These are observations not complaints!

Room Tip: ask for a room on one of the high floors which should have good views over the city (we didn't h...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I usually just go out to dinner then home but this time we thought we would treat ourselves to an over night stay in Belfast , we often pass this hotel when in Belfast and thought it was worth a visit . Being parents of five its was a well deserved treat , on arrival we were impressed beautiful lobby with burning cosy fire staff were friendly on arrival ,we checked in then went to our room which was beautiful designed,comfortable and classy . We had booked a table for 7:30 we arrive on time but as we waited to members of staff ignored that we were standing waiting to be seated, after five minutes we were brought to our seats the restaurant was not busy so didn't understand the wait . Our waiter took our order for food and drinks we waited for our food ??? We notice other people who came in after us had been served there starters and were on there mains we had not yet received our starter 25 minutes had passed I call the manager to make him aware of our wait , he came back after 5 minutes with two glasses of bubbly and an apology that our dock had been over looked so we accepted the bubbly and understood these things happen but the food wasn't worth the wait we were disappointed with the main and dessert was something you would expected a better quality of food from a 5 star hotel our chicken was dry and our dessert was like eating wall paper paste i couldn't finish it I only had two bites but unfortunately there were no staff to be seen in the restaurant ,we eventually left to go to the bar we ordered drinks couldn't believe my luck they had run out of Bacardi :( a five star hotel running out of alcohol ?? I don't think the bar tender could be bothered going to get a fresh bottle . The service truly lets this beautiful hotel down staff our friendly but not highly trained to the standard of a 5star hotel . We would stay again but as a b&b guess we would leave to go another restaurant in Belfast for dinner

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel would be exceptional :)
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Another wonderful stay at the Fitzwilliam Belfast. I have decided its my hotel for choice when staying in Belfast which seems to be every month at the moment.

Checkin was excellent and seemless, the staff are alwasy attentivve, nothing is too much trouble.

The room was well appointed, this time I had a King Executrive room, the bedroom was warm and cosy as it was very cold outside, the bed was big comfy, the bathroom is stunning witgh a lovely walk in shower.

Drinks in the bar were very good, order taken and looked after very well.

I payed for breakfast which I don't usually do as a rule but so glad I did, from the moment of arriving and getting seated promptly nothing was too much trouble. The food was outstanding and very enjoyable, I like the tocuh of giving the customer a newspaper to read during breakfast (well done)

I look forward to my next stay in 3 weeks time!

Room Tip: Take Breakfast
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast? Share your experiences!