“Bang Average” 3 of 5 stars

44 28 9059 1998
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 783 Restaurants in Belfast
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Bang Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have been twice to Benedicts in the last month. Both for work lunches, hence why I returned after an average first outing so quickly, had it been my decision, I wouldn't have returned.

At lunch it is a carvery or set menu, depending on how you look at it. On the first visit I got peppered chicken with all the trimmings. The chicken was fine but the spuds/chips and mash had a real school dinner feel to it and I thought the quality and portion size for the price were very poor.

On the second visit, it was a slightly different menu, good that it is shaken up a bit. On this visit I got the Mexican chicken which tasted no better than a microwave meal, the spuds were of even poorer standard, everyone commented on how hard they were, you could have broken a window with them. The chips and mash were off average standard, I just expect more for £6.95 than a meal I feel I could execute to a reasonably similar standard at home.

Service was excellent, although the waiting servers don't have to serve food they were very good at returning to the table for drink top ups and making sure everything was ok, so the gripe here is definitely the food.

Carvery's when done right are fine but there needs to be either plenty of customers or a quick turnaround manually of potatoes/meat as this will keep the standard higher but food just sitting in heat for an hour is obviously going to reduce the standard.

I personally wouldn't return unless it was another work outing i.e. someone else's choice.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Carvery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

The lunch time carvery on during the week is a brilliant deal! Free bowl of soup and getting to pick and choose from whatever you like from just £6.95 is just amazing. It's now my favourite lunch time place to eat when I'm on my break from work! Brilliant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Super meal ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been told many time by friends and family to get down and try Benedict's for a meal so I did. I wasn't disappointed it was super form the start to finish. We were
Looked after by brain who was very helpful with everything. The meal itself was super I had the duck spring rolls for starter then I had the rump steak for main it was cooked perfect everyone really enjoyed it so now it will be me who is telling everyone they must go and try Benedict's can't wait to get back which will be very soon.

Dalmellington, Ayrshire
“Great Hotel for Belfast visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just returned from a couple of days in Belfast. Went on the early ferry ex Cairnryan - Stress free!

Arrived at 10.00 to drop bags and reception advised that our room would be made ready in about an hour or so. This wasn't important so we headed out. Reception very pleasant. First impressions were that it looked a little dated until I realised that this was the rustic theme throughout the hotel. Some paint refurnishments were ongoing at time but did not create a problem.
Reception leads to the bar which was very good, well stocked and had a disco at night - if desired you did not need to go looking for music and a dance.
We were on a b/b basis and the cooked breakfast was very good, and the rump steak dinner at night was excellent.
Rooms were very large, well equipped and clean. Really comfortable beds and warm quilt. Room was a little cool when we came back at night and couldn't get the heating to stay on... but probably me and not the system.
Found all of the staff to be friendly, smiley and efficient.
The location is a little out of the centre but a 10 minute brisk walk takes you there. Good shopping, pubs and eateries, and much less pricey that its Southern neighbour Dublin.
I would definately use this hotel again if I return to Belfast.

Devon
“Enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We ate here after being recommended by our taxi driver, on a Sunday evening (3 Nov) at around eight o'clock. The downstairs bar area had loud pop music playing but this could not be heard upstairs in the dining area, which is large, but well broken up by the furniture and decorative features. The meal was well-cooked and well-presented, though pretty much a standard top-end pub menu. The staff appeared well trained as they were friendly and attentive. (The Assistant Manager told us there had been 600 lunches and 300 evening meals before we got in, so timing or booking is everything!). Overall an enjoyable experience. There were significant reductions in the prices of cocktails on this evening, so it is worth checking their special offers.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere