“Not impressed” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

First of all, numerous waiters and waitresses asked me about drinks order when i have already told them I was waiting for a second person to join me for dinner. They seemed disorganized to who was looking after which table. When it came to ordering drinks, I didn't want any wine, asked for something else, not much choice as they are focused on their wine list, however I understood that, not a problem. I said I ll stick with water, the waitress has tried few more times to persuade me to have some wine. Annoying. During the food order, I wanted to swap the jacket potato (which comes with meat order anyway) for vegetables, but was bluntly told it was not possible. This was the first in my life I have been refuse to swap a side order for something of a similar size and price! Felt disappointed. Overall not a friendly service, felt quite crowded and not attended to very much. Any contact with staff only added to the disappointment.
On another note, the fillet steak and fish we ordered were very good.
Very pricey though-but thats individual choice.
We will never go there again or recommend it to anyone-unfortunately.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Poor experience overall.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Visited here today in a group of 7 seven people, was not greeted for some time and left standing aimlessly by the door. When we were finally seen to by a passing member of staff we were told to just go up stairs, where we were not greeted again even though it was not busy what so ever. We were finally greeted by the manager in which we explained we had booked a table, he then VERY RUDELY replied "good for you". This made a very bad first impression, especially from the manager. Other staff were also very rude when I asked if I could have a new steak as mine was cooked well done when I ordered a medium rare. My rump stake was also very thin, not even half an inch thick!! Overall not a very good experience, would not be rushing back here any time soon!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Not impressed this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Called in a few weeks back and had a lovely lunch. On this occasion the chips were returned because they were dry and looked like they were the dregs in the chip pan from a previous fry!
There was an offer of more chips( which was turned down) but no apology whatsoever? A great shame because we were hoping that today was going to be as memorable as the last occasion. It was memorable,but for the wrong reasons!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“calamari chavy waitress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I have been eating at brasseria since it first opened 25 years ago. Sat night I went to celebrate my birthday. The calamari came an it was so over cooked it was like crisps. They changed them for another portion, these too were too overcooked to eat. Third time lucky the problem was solved by having to ask for the manager. BUT what ruined the night was the chavy waitress that was rude to us, she was cheeky and common. Not the normal pleasant spanish waiters that I have come accustomed too at brasseria. She is not the sort of person I would leave around sharp knives and hot food.her attitude stunk. Why they employed her I do not understand as she does not fit in with the normally pleasant atmosphere. I will return one day in the hope that they sort out the staffing issues.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Nice food shame about ONE member of staff!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Visited La Braseria with 15 other friends to celebrate a birthday. I have been here many times before and always enjoyed. The primary thing that made my experience poor was the very impolite, unpleasant, unaccommodating and 'chavy' girl that served us.

She didn't hand out enough cutlery so my friend asked for more, her reply was "I gave you cutlery" even though she hadn't. Not, "not problem, i'll get you another some more."

During eating my meal they came around to collect the plates, as I took another bite of my meal, she came up behind me and said to her colleague "that one is still eating" to which stopped eating and gave her my plate. Her rude and abrupt attitude made me feel very annoyed because one person ruined our lunch. Not only was she unprofessional she was blunt and ill-mannered whilst dealing/ serving us. All the staff are hard working and very driven- she most definitely doesn't fit in working there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere