“If you are reading this - honestly eat somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“If you are reading this - honestly eat somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Well, to summarise I have just paid for my food bill and have not been able to eat anything
The drink came, service was ok
Then the starters, with first bite the food was stinking , stale , undercooked
Though one of the other review says not to order chicken tikka , I still ordered it ( see previous review -same experience )
The smell was making us nauseous , I could not stay there
So we spoke to the manager , who did not agree that the food had smell
Fair enough ,we paid for the food and left , what a disappointment
Would never visit again
Overall poor experience

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Lovely cheap food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Read about this place on trip advisor as needed a good cheap indian in swansea. We were not disappointed. Its in a quiet street towards the mumbles end. They had an opening special offer on, , starter, main, rice or naan for £9. What's the catch, well there wasnt one. The food was really good. Lovely flavours but not very hot. Good size portions and well presented. Drinks are a reasonable price.
The place has been redecorated and the old furniture repainted and new seat covers. The sad thing was on a fri night there was only one other couple in there. The waiters are a bit shy too. So give them a break and turn up.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Never visiting here again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Okay, so this place has good reviews and thought I would give it a visit with my friends. All I have to say is wow.. really? I've seen places that have much lower ratings but with customer service which is 10x better. To be honest I was appalled at how the evening turned out to be. 99% of the time was wasted on just simply waiting for the food and waiting to be attended. The 1% of the time spent went very quickly as not everyone finished their food not even myself.
It was horrible. The chicken tikka was not freshly made, it was watery. I honestly feel sick just thinking about it. We finished eating in about 30 minutes and the total time spent there was 3.5 hours almost. The restaurant was empty so I don't see why we had to wait so long but still I thought let's give this place a chance. To make it up to me and my friends, a waiter did apologise for the delays etc but it still doesn't take away the fact most of our night was wasted. The only good thing about this place is the cost of the dishes. It's affordable but the quality of the dishes are nowhere near as good as other Indian dishes I have tasted. I guess that's what is expected since it is cheap. Just to clarify I won't be eating here again and this place really doesn't deserve the rating it currently hold. That is all in my opinion!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Read between the lines”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Wazilla really sums this place up.It is cheap and very cheerful-well the staff are very cheerful -there were no other diners the night we ate there.
The tables are formica covered and my sparkling Adams Ale (water) came in the very same Tesco plastic bottle it was originally purchased in.
The food was OK. If you're hungry and a bit short of cash this place is going to be Shangri-La but if you're looking for something a bit more up market-as Dionne Warwick sings 'Walk On By'.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“I never give places 5 star but Mela's an exception (long-ish review ahead!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

As an amateur foodie/student who's pretty low on cash (since it's almost the end of term), eating out is a real treat and I must say me and my friends I do not regret coming to Mela tonight.

First of all, I have to admit I'm not a big fan of Indian cuisine as I find it too oily, but that's not the case here. The service was also excellent, really friendly without being intrusive and the place was spotless which is a nice change to the sticky pub tables we were used to.

Despite the fact that it was quite busy, we were served quickly and our food arrived promptly. I had the house special biryani which was superb; the portion size was generous (a huge plus here as I was famished and have quite a big appetite normally anyway) and it was cooked to perfection without being too salty or oily.

After we finished our meals, we sat for a little while to talk. Being the stingy students that we are, we only ordered a jug of tap water to share and after it was empty, a fresh jug was brought to us straight away without having to ask. Now, this may seem trivial but from personal experience very few establishments pay this kind of attention to small tables spending less than £10 per head and it was really appreciated. Even better, as we were about to leave, we were offered complimentary drinks on the house, a fantastic way to finish off an excellent meal.

I know this is probably a bit tl;dr but to sum it up: great food, brilliant service in a clean and cosy establishment. What's even better is right now they have an offer of starter and main course for mere £7.95!

• Visited May 2013