“Lovely service, food OK” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Lovely service, food OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Nice place serving home cooked food. A decent-sized menu with a specials board on the wall. Very friendly and attentive staff, who are willing to share a joke and ensure a positive experience for diners. I have to say the food disappointed me. The Caribbean chicken was served on a bed of coriander rice (over-flavoured) with a couple of chicken breasts drizzled with a balsamic sauce and accompanied by and onion and pepper dip - so nothing Caribbean - and it left a fairly average impression. When I ordered my dessert, I was informed that three of the five options had sold out, so I opted for the pannacotta, which was sugared fruit on a bland blancmange. Not my cup of tea. With a glass of wine it came to £15, so I imagine a lunchtime restaurant menu elsewhere in the city would prove better for the price. I think I was unfortunate with my choices, as the rest of my party enjoyed their meal, but for my own personal experience I would't rush back.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Pleasent surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was shopping in town on saturday and decided to call in with my daughter for food the staff were really friendly and the service was excellent. We were reading the menu when a waitress drew my attention to the specials board and with seeing a beautifully presented cod go past which just smelt amazing i was decided my daughter decided to have the lasange, i was imprest with the variety of food on the menu and kids meals available.Our food arrived after a short wait and omg it was amazing i had the cod with crushed new potatoes, aspargus and garlic butter sauce and it did not disapoint i loved every mouth full ,it was nice to see that my daughters lasange was home made to i had to try a bit and it was very tasty all in all a lovely meal

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Average at most”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Have been here twice now with my family and I must say if we ever go back it will be just for coffees. First time we went we had breakfasts, it was ok. I must say that the bacon was some JUST cooked and the same goes for the sausages. Ok, perhaps I should of asked for them both to be well done. I don't like them overlooked but a little longer on the griddle wouldn't go a miss. I appreciate you have to cater to dozens of peoples needs, but all I'm saying is just a little longer for everyone.
Second time we went we went for lunch. Everyone ordered different things, but I must say it was just average. I don't think we will go there for a meal again. I do have to say that the waiter who served us on both occasions was lovely, so professional and just lovely. To be honest I've based me star rating more on him and his service than the food.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Neath, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Friendly staff and the food is consistently good, definitely worth a visit. Check out the specials board too, last time I had the cod fillet with asparagus on crushed new potatoes with a garlic butter drizzle - delicious!

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Delicious food and outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Gershwins Coffee House Restaurant is a hidden gem amongst the other outlets on Nelson street.

My partner and I dropped in for a spot of late lunch initially looking for some hangover relief. The menu surpassed all expectations and we ended up choosing two main meals as well as desert.

My partner had the chicken wrap and I had the Caribbean chicken - both were superb, cooked to perfection, and presented beautifully.

The waiting staff were incredibly attentive, polite, and genuinely committed to making sure we had a great dining experience. It was incredibly refreshing.

Two cups of tea, two main meals, an extra bowl of chips, and two deserts came to under £30 which we think is excellent value for money.

Whether you're looking to relax after some light shopping, or looking for a serious meal, Gershwins is definitely the place to go.

Visited August 2014