“A Hidden Gem!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Wales
“A Hidden Gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited on a cold, rainy evening and were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of food and service in this hidden away restaurant.The decor is smart and understated and our lovely young waiter guided us well through the interesting menu.My simple fish soup with aioli and my husband's scallops were delicious (I'll definitely have the bouillabaisse next time) whilst our mains - goose and tournados Rossini were full of flavour and accompanied by an ample serving of vegetables.Desserts of vanilla and chocolate left us replete.Do have a look at their website, the winter menu will surely tempt you to seek out this true taste of France,it's perfect for a romantic occasion, a young man wishing to impress on a first date would be wise to choose the Pant Y Gwydwr

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Swansea's best restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

by a mile!!

Eaten here 3 times, ever time has been a joy!!

The Fish soup to start is fabulous, looking forward to going back again

Visited December 2012
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Worth going out of your way for...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was a last minute New Year's Eve booking plus we wanted to eat late after going to the cinema. Our wishes were graciously accommodated and the kitchen staff stayed on for us. We had pre-ordered and service was excellent and prompt. All the food was exceptional and well priced - I had the chestnut casserole with Camargue rice which was delicious, fellow diners had turbot and Beef Wellington - all excellent. Compliments to all at Pant-Y-Gwydr and a happy new year.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greece
“Christmas lunch without the turkey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A lovely lunch with friends in a pleasant setting. From the menu and style of the restaurant I was expecting small, beautifully presented portions. It was beautifully presented but the portions were much more generous than I was anticipating. Fresh tender chicken, with garlicky mushrooms and the most wonderful chips.

The desserts were to die for with the vanilla themed plate covering all my dessert fantasies.

No dinner tonight then...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Firstly, I have to say that we booked our table at 17.30hrs for 19.00hrs and so we were delighted to get a table at all. None of our party had been to the restaurant before, so we were looking forward to the experience to celebrate my last year of my thirties.
The owner (I'm assuming) greeted us, and we sat at a table adjacent the door. Always the coldest table, but this didn't bother us too much. We ordered some wine and bread arrived and waited for our starters.
I remember the restaurant when it was a pub, and it has been decorated nicely, with the exception of the toilets. The ladies, I am told was freezing cold and the Smart Ones dispensers were most unwelcome.
My scallop starter arrived and was well presented and the scallops perfectly cooked if a little on the small side. I have to say, no real complaints here.
We ordered another bottle of wine and then the mains came out. I had the Tournedo Rossini which was delicious. The steak was perfectly cooked (rare) and tasted beautiful. The presentation was spot on, and my side of salty fries was most welcome.
Having studied the December menu before going out, I recall the menu mentioning to remember to ask for fries or a panache of vegetables. When I asked for a panache of vegetables, I was told that it hey could rustle up some greens. Fine French beans, mange tout and sugar snap peas were exactly what arrived.
My other halls French steak was chewy and sinewy, whilst our guests chicken was possibly slightly under done and over-powered by garlic. I don't think they will be returning to be honest.
The two deserts we ordered, we Le Vanille which consisted of a pancake with vanilla ice cream, a creme brûlée and a pannacotta. This was delicious and was devoured.
Service was average, we didn't feel welcome, and there is a strange ambiance to the place. The food swung between delicious and under-cooked. The bill for four adults which consisted of two starters, four main course, two deserts and two bottles of wine came to £189.00.
I would return for the tournedo rossini alone, but I guess I would be alone, as my guests would certainly not brave the cold for a return visit.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere