“Late Christmas meal” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Swansea
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Late Christmas meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

A disappointing meal although served by very attentive and helpful staff !!!! Last year was a Christmas meal with sprouts and other seasonal veg however this year half the meal was plated quite sparsely and a generous amount of peas and boiled potatoes placed in tureens on the prettily decorated tables ! The soup was a tasty starter with a delicious bread roll and butter other people on the table had pate which was superb in presentation and the cleared slates told their own tale ,others had salmon terrine and couldn't decide what the top consisted of !!! Although that was cleared as well !!!.my dessert was "different "I had ordered profiteroles -- it tasted of profiteroles but then the cream I had requested would have solved that !!! So disappointed was the only way to describe although the coffee and chocolate was really good and we were all offered refills a nice end to the meal

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Pammy K,

Thanks for taking the time to review us.

It seems to me that apart from the vegetable selection and presentation every thing else was OK, though I have to confess I didn't fully understand the Profiterole point ?. Perhaps if you have any further feedback you could give me a call at the hotel and we can discuss. Hopefully you'll give us another try as all of your observations are learning points that we can use so as to ensure we do it better next time.

Thanks once again for taking the time to feedback to us.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed here for a local night getaway nit having been there for over two years it was a good overall experience. lovely hot swimming pool, great reception and bar service and our upgraded room was everything you could ask of a hotel room, spotlessly clean with robes, free wi fi, fridge and a beautiful comfortable bed. Breakfast was as one would expect with a lovely buffet, eggs any way you wanted them, nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff. Nice to have a pot of tea that was immediately strong and not insipid. Everything hot including the plates which for me makes a difference. Only criticism is that the corridors in this hotel need upgrading as it is showing its age a little and the floors creak as if there are no nails in the floor boards, beyond that a really good experience with free car parking as well. excellent will do it again and that surely is the test of all stays away from home.

Room Tip: The lake side rooms would clearly be quieter away from the car park side of the hotel and we would c...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Anthony,

Many thanks for your kind review and for taking the time out to feedback on the hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We have had lunch here quite a few times, the service has always been first class, the waitress Wendy was very pleasant and helpfull. We shall be returning here again Because its just right to meet with friends

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Yvonne,

Many thanks for your kind review.

Glad to hear that you find the service to be good and helpfull, and I shall pass on your praise to Wendy, who is one of our many little stars !

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My family and I have stayed at this hotel at least three times a year for the past ten years since my daughter was very young. The hotel is situated behind a gorgeous lake that accommodates very friendly swans and geese and is so tranquil even though the hotel is situated on the lakeside shopping park. it is lovely to sit and relax next to the lake and read your favourite book.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and in the fifteen years of returning I have never found a spec of dust. The Restaurant and Bar staff are the friendliest people I have come across, Tom Sam and Luke are so helpful and must not forget to mention Wanda from housekeeping who is such a lovely lady.
The food is excellent just like the service nothing is never too much trouble for the Mercure team.
If you choose a room only rate I really would advise you pay that little extra for a ten pound add on breakfast you won't be disappointed.
I have reserved my next visit for March so the family are all looking forward to seeing all the friendly faces again. I just hope the weather is warmer so we can take a trip to our favourite spot in gower. With regards to other comments on here I feel there is nothing better after a walk down the gower, than to return to the hotel lounge and bar which is very inviting. We all enjoy sitting in the large lounge chairs situated by the open fire after a delicious meal with a glass of brandy before bed.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor rooms, there is no lift and the first floor rooms need a refurb, they are sligh...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cliff J,

Many thanks for your kind review.

Not sure about the friendly geeese bit though, they like to chase after me when I run round the lake, though they have improved my best lap time by about 10 seconds which I wouldn't have managed without their intervention !!

Thanks once agin for your review, and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to sunny Swansea :-)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for our wedding anniversary and also to visit our son and his partner who live in swansea the hotel and staff where fantastic we are there again in February the room was excellent the room was extremely clean and nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff I would give this hotel a extremely good rating . Michelle and dave from walsall.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to seing you again on your next visit to sunny Swansea :-)
NorthLincs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Booked this hotel as I liked the idea of using the leisure facilities after a long 5 hour drive to Cardiff, however they were a big disappointment; the gym was a very small room crammed with 8 pieces of equipment (with a couple more spilling out into the pool area), the pool was about 4m x 4m, slightly larger than a Jacuzzi only without the bubbles!
The general feel of the rest of the hotel is one of an old peoples home complete with not very relaxing Shackletons High seat chairs (comfy sofas in the lounge/bar area would be good) and strange smells in the corridors.
The room was clean enough though but the shower did lack power.
The bar had very limited choice of beers and the restraunt did seem a bit over-staffed at night and seemed a bit over-priced if you didn't use the (limited) 3 course set menu.
Breakfast was excellent though (even fried bread!) apart from the slightly stale croissants and the unfriendly greeting from the stressed restraunt manager.
All in all not worth the £100 I paid for the DBB booking, so think I will book a holiday inn express next time im down that way.
...and the old peoples home feel was re-enforced in the morning when the coach arrived to pick up all the OAPs waiting in the reception.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Humber Bridge,

Thanks for your review. Next time you are in Swansea do pop in and I'll inroduce you to all our comfortable lounge furniture, including 8 small sofas and 2 large leather sofas, not sure how you missed these.

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here again and the people were lovely. The hotel is in need of a full overhaul. As you walk down the corridor to your room the smell of mildew is impossible to miss. My room was spotless and breakfast was excellent. I went to the health club which is in a very poor state of repair. Tiles hanging off the walls, gym equipment rusting away where it is so old. The shower in the mens changing room is not even attached to the wall and there is mildew in between the tiles, not pleasant at all. There was a very low number of guests which may explain why these basics are not being addressed.

Room Tip: Ask to be near reception otherwise it can be a very long walk
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Mercure Swansea, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear AdrianH1967,

Many thanks for your review.

The mildew smell was caused by a guest flooding a bathroom and bedroom !! a couple of days earlier, and despite our best efforts this did result in that whole corridor smelling for a few days afterwards before we finally gave up and removed the carpet as it was beyond saving! With regards to the health club our maintenance team have been in there today and corrected what they can, but we are waiting for matching tiles to repair the couple of broken ones at the bottom of the pillar that you refer to.

Best Regards

Been to Mercure Swansea? Share your experiences!