“Total shambles from start to finish...” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 15 Activities in Newport
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Total shambles from start to finish...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My experience of dealing with the Celtic Manor can only be described as a catalogue of failings. I made 2 separate group bookings for spa packages at the Forum Spa to be taken in January 2013. Both were special occasions and I was hopeful that the Celtic Manor, being a supposedly reputable resort, would come up trumps.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. Dealing with the reservations team in respect of the first booking (made several months in advance) was a saga from beginning to end. I was quoted different prices by different agents and ended up being charged £20 extra for an admin error made by them! Every single call made to them resulted in me being put on hold several times giving the distinct impression they were making up prices & terms and conditions as they went along.

We were less than impressed with the spa day itself. The staff at the spa were pleasant and attentive but many things were amiss. The toilets in the ladies changing area had no toilet paper and the stench of urine emanating from the out of order cubicle quite literally made our eyes water. It was like that all day.

As it was a special occasion we’d arranged for a bottle of Prosecco to be waiting at our table when we went for lunch. It wasn’t there when we arrived & after a great deal of waiting and prompting staff, one of our party ended up going to collect it. We were a party of 5 and she was given 3 glasses and told the other 2 would follow shortly. They didn’t. After a further 15 mins of waiting and yet more prompting, they finally appeared. Totally ridiculous for a 5* resort and also not ideal when we had to keep an eye on the clock as treatments were scheduled for the post lunch slot.

The second booking (also made several months in advance) was all set to go ahead when I received a ‘courtesy call’ 7 days beforehand to advise me that the pool and poolside facilities (sauna, etc) would be closed for refurbishment. There was no apology, it was just casually slipped into the conversation. I voiced my dissatisfaction as this visit was also a special occasion and the short notice was not really acceptable. I was told no discount could be offered but we could come and swim free of charge on a separate occasion (bearing in mind we’re making a 100 mile round trip, no thanks!).
The Celtic Manor take payment in full upon booking and have a cancellation period of 7 days prior to your visit. If you cancel any time after that, you stand to lose the full amount. I received this phonecall at 6.15pm exactly 7 days prior to our planned trip! I was told by one agent that they would waiver the 7 day policy on this occasion as I was keen to speak to other members of the party and possibly make alternative arrangements. Within the hour the Marine Spa in St David’s Hotel in Cardiff Bay had saved our bacon and I called the Celtic Manor to confirm the cancellation, only to speak to another agent who told me a refund was not actually possible and our only option would be to change to an alternative date. Understandably, I went ballistic and after being put on hold a few more times they agreed to refund the full amount to my credit card.

Whilst having problems with the first reservation I did actually complain to the Celtic Manor directly via email. The response I received was dismissive and some comments only went to show that they hadn’t even read it properly.

They did us a favour in the end as St David’s Hotel did us proud. If I never set foot in the Celtic Manor again it’ll be too soon.

Bristol
6 attraction reviews
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I bought a spa day for my husband for Xmas. All was fine when we arrived, we were shown around and all seemed good. Then the water aerobics started with the loudest music ever, not good for a relaxing spa day. There is only a sauna by the pool, so if you want to go into steam room you have to go into your own changing area, which is fine if you are with a bunch of girls but not ideal if you go as a couple. The lunch was very disappointing, you have to go up in the lift, in your robe, to a higher floor to a private dining room, then share a table with other people as there were no tables for 2 people. For lunch there was jacket potatoes, wraps, chicken and lots of salad, but no mayonnaise, salad dressing or butter for the bread or potatoes, you have to ask for these, if you can actually find someone to ask. There was some fresh fruit salad for pudding but no cake or nice puddings. They obviously think everyone that is on a spa day is on a diet!!
We both had massages booked in the afternoon and went to the relaxation room to wait for our treatement. The relaxation area is the worst i have ever been in, although it looked nice, it was bitterly cold and very noisy. It needs to be a completely seperate room from the reception area, as this would cut down on the noise and keep some warmth in. All the people in there were wrapped up in the blankets, that are on the beds, to keep warm. Our hot stones massage was very good, but we did not bother to go back into the relaxation room after our treatment as it was just too cold in there. After a massage i would normally stay in a relaxation room for a least half an hour. Thankfully I only paid £59 each for this day,which was worth it just for the massage, but i will not be returning for another spa day, would rather pay a bit more and go somewhere better

Devizes, England, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Lovely - wish it was 'friday' every day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went first on December 14th with a group of girls from work, we had the thank forum its friday package which was a bargain - £59 for lunch, use of facilities, hot stone massage and facial. Treatments were lovely! We started the day early as we wanted to make use of the facilities but couldn't sit around the pool straight away as there was aqua aerobics going on whose instructor felt the need to bellow over the rediculously loud music as opposed to turning the music down! After that it was great until the pool opened up to the kids, then you couldn't move - this was fine as we were leaving at that point anyway!

Went back again 4th January for my moms christmas present and again had the hot stone massage, elemis steam temple and lunch etc. Treatments fantastic again although not sure I would have paid full price for the steam temple (bogof is a reasonably priced offer), it didn't seem to last the full 45 minutes either but was nice none the less. Most importantly was my mom enjoyed her day - money well spent.

They have some great offers so register for regular emails from them.

south wales
“well set out spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

pool was great, large enough to swim, small enough to be cosy.
clean, tidy, presentable, well maintained.
Cant wait to return.
steam room ..ouch that was hot lol felt like my face was on fire. could wait to get out, and cool myself of in the pool.

Visited November 2012
Newport, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“nice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Quite nice if a tad expensive just for a sit down with a cuppa and a cake....
Felt that abit stifling with a rather excited daughter looking at the pool, the gym and the outdoor climbing areas. felt like shushing her all the time.....

Visited October 2012