“The best accidental find I've ever had!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai, Chinese Hotpot, Cantonese, Szechuan
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Newport, United Kingdom
“The best accidental find I've ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I had a craving for Chinese and decided to go to our local take away, for some unexplained reason they were closed and as we were walking back to the car we noticed this restaurant.

Had a look through the window and could see a few people at the counter ordering food and decided to have a look at their menu.

Upon entering we were immediately greeted by a very friendly Chinese woman who showed us the menu and advised that they have a sit down buffet option which we decided to try. I can confirm right now that deciding to give it a try was the best eating decision we've made in years!

The menu offers approximately 130 dishes to choose from, pricing starts from £12.99 per person and jumps to £14.99 a person if you opt to have the lamb/duck items on the menu.

Our waitress asked us to choose four dishes each from the starter menu and within 10 minutes they were on our table, from there we selected many dishes that neither of us had ever tried before and when we announced that we were full and could not squeeze in anymore if we tried the waitress said "that's ok, order more and I will put it in a doggy bag for you!".

We declined the doggy bag option, but said we would definitely be back soon.

Drinks are surprisingly good value with a pint of diet coke only costing £2.20, the alcoholic options were not much more expensive than our local pub.

The food itself was beautifully prepared, I honestly feel that this is the tastiest Chinese food I have ever had in my life.

The service was first class, the price was reasonable and the choice was extensive.

Long story short, if you enjoy Chinese food, can afford £15 and are passing through/live in Newport then give this little gem a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NewWorldChinese, Manager at New World Chinese Restaurant viii, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We are very glad that you found us and enjoyed your meal enough to write on Tripadvisor. Thank you. Would love to see you again.

Our new "cooked to order" buffet now boast over 169 dishes, introduce in September 2012.
We do not give doggy bag on the buffet menu, as this would encourage over ordering, this is clearly stated on the menu.