“Good village pub” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #170 of 248 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: British, English
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A recently fully refurbished and relaunched managed pub, serving great food and drink. We also have quiz nights and live entertainment
newport
“Good village pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming here on a regular basis for around six months so my experience of the tredegar arms is that of Many visits rather than just a one off.
I find the food is very good without being spectacular but it is a pub, not a fine dine restaurant. I have gone through much of the menu here and it stacks up well. I have seen chip shops and cafes reveiwed on tripadvisor ahead of fine dine restaurants For this reason I score 5 because it does everything I expect from a village pub.And Peroni on tap!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newport
“Hasn't improved. Avoid.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went back to Tredegar Arms recently following a very bad experience a couple of months ago.Friends had booked this and I didn't want to be a 'damp squid' so gave it a second chance. Food mediocre. Service very poor. Manager again bordering on aggressive with customer that was complaining. I can only confirm that there is a real management attitude problem with the management of this establishment currently. I won't return whatever the circumstances and advise others to avoid.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wales
“Ok food - TERRIBLE service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I ate here with 12 work colleagues. We have a monthly lunch and like to try different places near to our offfices. I have eaten here before, quite a long time ago, and liked it, so we decided to give it a try.
We all PRE-ORDERED our food on the morning we were going to be eating, hoping that this would make it easier and save us time (being on a lunch hour). We booked the table and arranged for the food to be ready for 12:15pm. All 13 of us were there by 12:15pm, however there was no sign of the food. We asked three times where our food was and each time we were advised 'it'll be there now', however it didn't arrive after 3 requests. The members of staff did not apologise once for the delay, and did not even speak to us in a polite manner. Eventually it arrived around 12:40-45!!! The food that was arrived was average to say the least, if we weren't all so hungry and on a tight timescale we would have made more of a complaint at the time.
Shame as used to be a nice place to go. We will not be visiting again and will not be recommending it to anyone either!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I waited over an hour for a desert with no apologies or an offer to refund the cost of the desert. I questioned the wait on the desert three times, on the third time I spoke to the owner who I found extremely arrogant and the type that comes across as a bully.
The Tredegar Arms has the potential to be a nice place to go for a drink or a bite to eat. However, the customer service I experienced was beyond disgraceful and feel that the pub would better suit a change of management and ownership.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Newport, United Kingdom
“Tasty food but small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I went here with my husband and daughter on 8 june for late lunch. Much better service behind the bar than my last experience. Had lovely fresh prawn cocktail to start and hunters chicken, however this was served on the bone which ive not seen before and personally dont like i prefer the breast, quite a small portion of chicken but tasty, overall very pleasant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere