“A gem of a place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Albany Guest House

Albany Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Albany Guest House
You added Albany Guest House to your Saves list
409 Chepstow Road, Newport NP19 8HL, Wales   |
Ranked #11 of 36 Newport B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A gem of a place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Have just got back from my stay at the Albany Guest House. We went to South Wales for the rugby cup finals in Cardiff. The guest house is well situated for Newport Station with a 16 minute train trip to Cardiff. I am so pleased that we chose to stay at The Albany. Our twin room was very comfortable, spotlessly clean and had everything that we needed with an en-suite, tv, wifi access and tea/coffee making facilities. On site car parking is also a plus.

Our hosts, Christine and Steve were marvellous and so friendly. I have the feeling that nothing would be too much trouble. I asked if we could put some beers in their fridge to keep them chilled and Christine brought a mini-fridge to our room for us to use Christine was very helpful with advice concerning the train and taxi services. Steve cooks a great breakfast using good quality ingredients.

It was a home from home for me. If I ever need to stay in this part of South Wales again I will definitely try to book a room here and will happily recommend the Albany Guest House to anyone else.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We have been working in the area and have lodged here for the past week. What a gem of a place, run by a lovely and friendly couple. Our twin room was very reasonable with comfy beds, full en-suite, tea and coffee facilities, TV and high speed wifi. I cannot fault this great place and will definitely look to return should we be working here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed in this lovely guest house while we were down watching the rugby in Cardiff. Was greeted in a very pleasant and friendly way. Room was very cosy, comfortable and clean, and the services in-room were excellent. There is a really good feeling about this place that makes it feel more like a home than a hotel. After a heavy session in Cardiff post-rugby the full English breakfast was most welcome, not to mention absolutely delicious. Christine and Steve were extremely chatty and pleasant throughout. We are regular visitors to South Wales and will definitely stay there again. Cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I had to stay in Newport for 2 months and was lucky enough to stay here. Being away from home is tough but Steve and Christine made it feel like home. They are wonderful people, you can have a drink and a chat with them and they make you feel at home. Having stayed in the majority of the rooms I can say they are all great very cosy and cute ;) I was reluctant to stay in Newport but they made the stay a fabulous one I recommend that everyone should stay here! The rooms are cleaner than most hotels and quiet and perfect for a good nights sleep and stay. They have the cutest friendliest dog and they are just such nice people. I will definitely be returning!!! ;) x

• Stayed July 2013
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've stayed at Albany for the last two months as I did my training at work. Couldn't imagine a better place to stay! It really feels like home with a top hotel quality! Christine and Steve are wonderful and they treat you like family! Great service, rooms, definitely the best place to stay in Newport! I will come back! And they have adorable dog! Tom.

• Stayed August 2013
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

It was in a good location as I was attending a course locally.
The owners Steve and Christine Bradley could not have been nicer and very helpful.
The rooms were bright ,clean and cheerful and at a reasonable cost.
The food was excellent.
I will stay there again and would recommend it anyone

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Good location as I was commuting into work.
Breakfast was not up to the £5 charge.
Cheep hotel, so cheep expectations.
Owners did have a dog, which is a good thing for some people, a bad thing for me however.
Had the 'old hotel' smell.
Beds were quite small.
Mainroad VERY noisy.
Friendly people.
Overall average.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the house should be quieter (mainroad)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Christine B, Owner at Albany Guest House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Sir,
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. If you had mentioned this to me I could have offered you an alternative room. All our single rooms have standard single beds. Double beds are available. We offer a £5 discount to guests who don't require breakfast, I am sorry if you were not satisfied with yours, I would have happily cooked you whatever you wanted within reason. I pride myself on keeping a clean guest house and I would have valued your comment if there was a problem at that time. Please come and stay again and give us a chance to make your stay a pleasant one.

Been to Albany Guest House? Share your experiences!