“What a Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Celtic Manor Resort

You added Celtic Manor Resort to your Saves list
Celtic Manor Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Coldra Woods | The Usk Valley, Newport NP18 1HQ, Wales   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Newport
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“What a Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Just Great as good if not better than most of the 5 ***** Hotels in London and a lot less money.
Food was wonderful and the bar prices was not really more than the average 4 **** Hotels in the Welsh Capital. Looking forward to staying there again ( Longer next Time !!)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Not on the golf course but the hotel itself. No need to describe this hotel,sumptuous from spa to roof, everything you would hope it to be. The jewel (jewels) in this crown were the staff. Without exception they were efficient,courteous,patient and above all pleasant. Nothing was too much trouble especially when dealing with senior citizens,dsucj as my wife and I.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

First impressions are mixed - the hotel is certainly impressive - the scale alone makes you pause. The hotel is well presented and immaculate. However you do have to pay for much of it... if you want to park near the lobby in the multi-storey car-park, there's an extra charge - otherwise it's quite a long walk through the hotel to get to reception.

Reception was well-staffed, quick and friendly - I had no problem getting checked in, or out.

Rooms are great, more than big enough and with everything you could need. The en-suite bathroom was brilliant.

I didn't try the pool, but wish I'd have taken my things as it looked amazing!

Breakfast was of good quality and well stocked - completely set me up for the day.

On the whole, although I'd recommend this hotel, I'd also recommend going if you get a good deal as the price certainly matches the size, although for the golfing set playing on a Ryder Cup course may be worth it by itself!

Room Tip: Floor 9 has small balconies where you can get some fresh air.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Overall as a family of 5 with 3 children, aged 5 months to 6 years we enjoyed our stay. The leisure facilities were ample for our 3 day break and the food was surprisingly tasty and high quality in the buffet style 'olive tree' restaurant. The wine service was pretty slow, and arrived after we had finished our first course on both evenings. All staff were attentive & pleasant and the hotel seems to run fairly effortlessly considering the volume of corporate, family and golf enthusiast's they were catering for. Having stayed in a few poorly run, smaller hotels I find this impressive. My considerable disappointment was being unable to book a spa treatment, which we discovered required a 4-6 week pre booking. Had I had known this on booking our last minute spa break, and being desperate for an opportunity to have a bit of pampering and rejuvenation, I would have booked an alternative spa hotel. It would useful to have been asked when booking if you intended on using the spa facilities.

Room Tip: Check if spa facilities available when booking
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a big, big place and it mainly pulls it off. We had a poor meal at the Olive Tree Restaurant, but I am putting that side for the rest of this review.

A lot of effort goes into making guests welcome and the surroundings have wow factor. Pool area is excellent as are the public areas. I had an excellent sleep in clean comfortable rooms and the bathrooms were top notch. Shopping Mall was surprisingly uninteresting. Underground car parking is charged. Just a few minor grumbles. Merlin's bar is a nice big place to relax. Breakfasts were also excellent.

We found the staff very friendly. I would recommend the hotel, but be careful about the Olive Tree Restaurant (see my other review).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Newbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had afternoon tea here today. After reading some not very complementary reviews we nearly didn't book. However we had a lovely time, the sandwiches and cakes were very tasty and the tea and coffee were very good too. The scones were very light and we washed down strawberries and cream with champagne. In all a lovely birthday treat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was initially impressed with the Celtic Manor upon arrival - it is a very nice building and the foyer is clearly meant to make an impression. Unfortunately, that is part of the problem - the people who work there expect that initial impact will be enough to carry you through your stay.

It took nearly 30 minutes to check in and there was nothing in the way of an introduction to the hotel or even an explanation of where to park or where to find your room. The room itself, clean and pleasant, was nice but not overly remarkable for a 5 star hotel. The view from balcony, for which I'd paid extra, was blocked by a very large tree (I like trees, but not to the point they are dangling their leaves in my wine while I'm relaxing!). The Wi-Fi did not work for the first night and I had to report it. The pay per view films did not work at all during my stay.

Breakfast was okay on the first day – there was a wait for the hot food to be replaced but that’s fair enough. However, when I asked for a latte while I was waiting, the extremely rude maître de replied that "I would have to pay for it!" It took twenty minutes to arrive, and I had to remind two other waiters about it beforehand. Breakfast the second day was a nightmare. I had to queue for 40 minutes and was then expected to eat my breakfast in 5 minutes flat because "breakfast was over". By this time most of the food was gone or was cold anyway, so I had nothing. I didn’t have time to ask for a decent coffee. When questioning the receptionist about the possibility of having breakfast somewhere else instead for queuing, myself and several other patrons were told (again, unhelpfully) “Your room, but you’ll have to pay for it.”

Afternoon Tea at The Olive Garden was also shockingly poor. They had no replacements for the fish/meat based foods served, so, as a vegetarian, the choice was very limited. The sandwiches I could eat were dry and it took (I timed it) 97 minutes between the initial tray being brought out and the scones being served. This meant I had to leave most of the tea behind because I had a spa appointment.

The Rafters was a nice enough restaurant, but the dessert I ordered was hard and dry, and when I mentioned this to the manager he very generously took the price of my cup of tea off the bill, as a ‘good will gesture’!?! Forgive me, but isn’t it customary to remove the price of the item that has clearly been over cooked? And a ‘good will gesture? No. If it isn’t right it is not a good will gesture!

The only real pleasure was the spa. The staff there were very professional and cheerful – always happy to help. This is in stark contrast to the service in the two restaurants (managers, not waiters) and front of desk which was, frankly appallingly bad for a five star (or any star) hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Celtic Manor Resort? Share your experiences!