Having read reports on TA before we spent a weekend at the resort, we did note that they were mixed which surprised us - however, we decided to go and experience the resort for ourselves.
Yes, there was a tiny thread hole in our quilt cover which should not have been there but the room overall was good - as you would expect for a quality resort. The room facilities for two teenagers and two adults were as good as we could have expected without two separate rooms which we wanted to avoid.
The bar service on Friday evening was very slow and the staff seemed to miss us on several occasions - we felt like leaping up and down to attract attention! However, it was ok for us as we were chatting before our evening meal.
Check in very quick, check out very slow, why not use the 'express check-out' to avoid queueing? it works well.
The buffet dining suited us with the children, and the choice was mouth-watering and very well cooked and presented.
Similarly the breakfast was good and the staff under pressure as the breakfast restaurant was filled with a 'Polo crowd' for the weekend matches.
We used the Archery Range which was good value at £10 with attended 'coaching'. Then a quick courtesy bus to try our hand at the Golf Academy, reasonably priced. Finally, the pool/jacuzzi area was a great way to finish - no time for a spa treatment!
The bill ended up a bit eye watering after all our extras - wine and spirits are quite dear, but the resort is top-class so it wouldn't come cheap.
Overall we will go back again as it was very enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Host of the 2010 Ryder Cup golfing competition, this award-winning resort is set in 2000 acres of parkland in the Usk Valley. It comprises a 5-star hotel and a historic 19th-century manor house. There is the award-winning Forum Spa, as well as 6 restaurants and 3 championship golf courses. There are 2 adventure golf courses and the treetop adventure course Forest Jump. Clay pigeon shooting, fishing and mountain biking can all be arranged. The Celtic Manor Resort features a range of facilities to ensure the success of guests’ business events and special occasions. These include a comprehensive convention centre and exhibition hall, 31 function rooms and 6 restaurants. Rooms all have a TV with satellite channels, and there is a 24-hour front desk. Free Wi-Fi is available in public areas, and there is space for free private parking on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Celtic Manor Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Celtic Manor Hotel Newport
- Celtic Manor Newport
- Celtic Hotel Manor
- Celtic Manor Resort Newport, Wales