Lets face it, Holiday Inn is a global brand with a Global brand standard, that why we frequent them. Its all about knowing you will get that standard. I am ex-hotel industry so I don't like writing a review like this because it upsets me when hotel owners allow things to get this bad. I can only assume that Holiday Inn who have the management contract for this hotel have been begging the local owner to spend money on this hotel and they are refusing. Quite honestly this hotel is a dump and hasn't seen the inside of a refurb for a very long time.
The fabric of the hotel is old and threadbare, the rooms are completely out of date.
So let me start with my particular criticism:
When I booked online, I was offered a double bed room non smoking. When I arrived I was given a twin single room smoking (i didn't think any hotels allowed that anymore!) When I went down to complain I was told that all their system tells them is that I want a standard room. They told me this even when the checking in sheet showed what I had booked on the internet. They then told me they didn't have any non smoking rooms left. I told them I was alergic to stale smoke and got asthma attacks, (true) so they put me in an executive non smoking room for the night, but couldn't do anything else for the rest of my stay. (I checked out the following morning). The night receptionist seem to be of the opinion that simply explaining that their system didn't recognise the booking I had made was an adequate excuse - as if it was my problem that I couldn't understand this???!!!
Anyway, I get to my pink room, with artex ceiling and thank my stars that I have somewhere to stay for the night (10:30pm) and doubly grateful for not having to deal with stale smoke. When suddenly I realise I should be grateful to this hotel, this room is green and environmentally friendly, all of the lights have low voltage green bulbs in. You might ask what brought this to my attention; simply this, I couldn't see very much, the lighting was too dim to read! I then found that in the bathroom it was clearly to dim for the cleaners so see either, as they had re-folded a face cloth that someone had clearly used to blow their nose on! (picture supplied).
In the morning I had a dark shower and went off in search of breakfast. (part of my £92 package). The coffee was awful, the bacon like cardboard, no fresh fruit salad, orange juice from concentrate, the cheapest bread available. To tell you the truth, looking to the stars for support, I noticed that a leak in the roof had led to the ceiling rotting and I had had enough.
This Hotel needs a complete refurb from top to bottom. This is not anywhere near the brand standard for Holiday inn. I am amazed that holiday inn still agree to manage this hotel if indeed it is under contract. If it is one of the few owned by HI then the situation is even worse.
If you want to stay in an HI in the newport area, go to the Express near Risca its 10 minutes down the road and of a higher standard for £30 less.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome is just the beginning at the Holiday Inn Newport. Whether you are travelling for business or leisure the Holiday Inn Newport hotel will make your trip a success. Offering 119 well appointed ensuite bedrooms all with air conditioning, High Speed Wireless Internet connection, satellite channels and In-house movies.The hotel is situated just off junction 24 of the M4 with free ample car parking. The thriving cities of Bristol & Cardiff are within a 30 minute drive and it s only a short journey to the Wye Valley or the Brecon Beacons. Take a round of Golf at the Celtic Manor Resort home of the Ryder Cup in 2010, situated opposite the hotel.The Millennium Stadium hosts a variety of events and is only a 10 minute train journey from Newport. We offer an extensive range of Conference facilities with our largest suite accommodating up to 500 delegates. Click on the meetings tab for further details.Harpers bar is a place for work & relaxation with wireless access and an extensive bar & lounge menu. Harpers restaurant provides a tempting choice of cuisine prepared to the highest culinary standard by our international kitchen team. Take advantage of our resident only leisure facilities with heated indoor pool.With our experience and commitment to our guests, we are the ideal choice. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Newport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Newport Hotel Newport
- Holiday Inn Newport Wales