“Stay away at all costs” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Newport
Bideford, United Kingdom
“Stay away at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Lets face it, Holiday Inn is a global brand with a Global brand standard, that why we frequent them. Its all about knowing you will get that standard. I am ex-hotel industry so I don't like writing a review like this because it upsets me when hotel owners allow things to get this bad. I can only assume that Holiday Inn who have the management contract for this hotel have been begging the local owner to spend money on this hotel and they are refusing. Quite honestly this hotel is a dump and hasn't seen the inside of a refurb for a very long time.

The fabric of the hotel is old and threadbare, the rooms are completely out of date.

So let me start with my particular criticism:

When I booked online, I was offered a double bed room non smoking. When I arrived I was given a twin single room smoking (i didn't think any hotels allowed that anymore!) When I went down to complain I was told that all their system tells them is that I want a standard room. They told me this even when the checking in sheet showed what I had booked on the internet. They then told me they didn't have any non smoking rooms left. I told them I was alergic to stale smoke and got asthma attacks, (true) so they put me in an executive non smoking room for the night, but couldn't do anything else for the rest of my stay. (I checked out the following morning). The night receptionist seem to be of the opinion that simply explaining that their system didn't recognise the booking I had made was an adequate excuse - as if it was my problem that I couldn't understand this???!!!

Anyway, I get to my pink room, with artex ceiling and thank my stars that I have somewhere to stay for the night (10:30pm) and doubly grateful for not having to deal with stale smoke. When suddenly I realise I should be grateful to this hotel, this room is green and environmentally friendly, all of the lights have low voltage green bulbs in. You might ask what brought this to my attention; simply this, I couldn't see very much, the lighting was too dim to read! I then found that in the bathroom it was clearly to dim for the cleaners so see either, as they had re-folded a face cloth that someone had clearly used to blow their nose on! (picture supplied).
In the morning I had a dark shower and went off in search of breakfast. (part of my £92 package). The coffee was awful, the bacon like cardboard, no fresh fruit salad, orange juice from concentrate, the cheapest bread available. To tell you the truth, looking to the stars for support, I noticed that a leak in the roof had led to the ceiling rotting and I had had enough.

This Hotel needs a complete refurb from top to bottom. This is not anywhere near the brand standard for Holiday inn. I am amazed that holiday inn still agree to manage this hotel if indeed it is under contract. If it is one of the few owned by HI then the situation is even worse.

If you want to stay in an HI in the newport area, go to the Express near Risca its 10 minutes down the road and of a higher standard for £30 less.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for work purposes. Room clean.

A bit of noise from the a/c unit.

Breakfast adequate and included in price.

Very good food available at pub next door for evening meal.

• Stayed February 2011
West Midlands UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I have been to this hotel a number of times over the last 10 to 15 years.
The hotel is well situated with nice grounds and very easy to get to and from.
The reception area is large and staffed with competent people. I was checked in and out in a thoroughly professional manner.
I stayed there for a couple of nights and had no problems in doing so but I guess the décor’ is getting somewhat tired now. The bar is well equipped with everything one would want. This time I didn’t eat in the bar area but chose to use the more formal restaurant and was quite happy. I did note however that the buffet did appear to be less voluminous than previously but what I had was what I wanted and was good food.
Although I didn’t take breakfast I seem to remember the last time that I was there that it was perfectly adequate and you get a free newspaper!
This hotel reminds me of a bit of an old aunt, very nice but in need of a facelift!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
cwmbran S.Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

We hosted our daughter's wedding in September at the Newport Holiday Inn. From our first contact with Jenny of conference sales and Kate our co-ordinator the planning and organising was very professional and efficient. We chose the top package which was very reasonably priced and included a harpist and toastmaster which added to the finishing touches. The bride and bridegroom went to Bellvue Park for photographs and the sun shone all day. Executive rooms were booked for family, and the hotel staff were well trained and friendly. The food and drink was of a high standard and guests commentated on it, again the waitress service was excellent. We would recommend this hotel on quality and service, well done to the Holiday Inn Newport.

• Stayed September 2010
Cotswolds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I enjoyed my stay here and would certainly use it again. The restaurant food was very good, the staff in particular were attentive without being pushy and were all very helpful.

The only reason for not awarding 5/5 is like all Holiday Inn's I cannot get comfy with the pillows. They provide a 'hard' and a 'soft' one, neither ever suit me though. Maybe you will find them comfortable, so don't let me put you off from staying.

You need a token to exit the car park barrier, which I was told is time limited which is a bit of a pain, but I can see that it does add to security and prevent non-residents from using the car park. This hotel is right on the M4 junction, but quiet due to its position and landscaping, It is a long way out of Newport itself, but ideal for touring if you have transport.

It is certainly one of the better Holiday Inns I have stayed at.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I recently stayed on business. I was a little concerned that there would be road noise from the busy junction of the M4, but didn't experience any. The entrance to the hotel could best be described as "understated" and was spoiled by the numerous cigarette ends scattered around the approach suggested the hotel could be dirty. Fortunately, it was just the exterior.
Reception staff were great, but perhaps could have told me I needed a card to exit the carpark. Room was ok, standard fare for this type of hotel. Bar was good, again friendly helpful staff, nice to see they had draught ale (Brains). I didn't have Dinner but breakfast was very disappointing. Staff were friendly and attentive but the cooked food was poor. everything looked deep fried, even the mushrooms. Sausages were cheap meatless tasteless ughh...! I couldn't help thinking that the worlds press staying here for the Ryder Cup will think Welsh food is awful.....I strongly suggest that there is a rapid overhaul of what and how breakfast is presented....otherwise it could receive unwelcome column inches in wider read reports than this...!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
west midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We chose this Holiday Inn when on business in Bristol as hotels there are quite expensive. The short drive to Newport was well worth it for the fantastic value accomodation. Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for two for just £95 instead of the £149 charged in Bristol. We were really impressed by our "family" room which was more spacious, well equipped and comfortable than some executive rooms we have had at other hotels. We really enjoyed our evening meal and breakfast and the staff in the restaurant were all excellent. The only thing we could improve would be an update on the decor but it was not offensive or dirty. We will definitely use this hotel whenever in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Newport? Share your experiences!