“Tried and trusted friend” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Newport
“Tried and trusted friend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here many over the last 20 years under one hotel chain name or another. Always a professional warm welcome. Food and service above par..
Friendly but not over caring staff, sometimes you just want to be left to sort yourself out, but they there if you need them

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review in regard to your recent visit.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to being able to welcome you back for another 20 years.

Once again thank you for your comment and custom.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here at the weekend with my family, all the staff were excellent and very helpful, we clearly had been given one of the refurbed rooms which was excellent and usual high standard. Small fault with a/c was sorted quickly, as the south side of the upper floor gets incredibly hot when sunny. We had to have a/c unit on all night it was that hot....

I always look forward to the breakfast at HI's but it is a shame that the sausages provided are at the 'extreme value' end of the spectrum, we all left them as they were like pink flubber. It's a shame such a small detail for a few pennies may make me think Best Western in future.....

Room Tip: Choose a north side room in the summer for a cooler room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit.

Whilst I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy our sausages at breakfast, I was delighted to note that my colleagues were excellent and very helpful.

Thank you once again for bringing the matter to my attention.
Ringwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at the holiday inn as we were attending a function at the celtic manor and at the last minute decided to stay over but the celtic manor was full. What a good decision that was, the hotel looks a little dated on the outside but the rooms are spacious and comfortable. There is a small but pleasant indoor pool which we had all to ourselves We paid just £65 breakfast included for this one night stay and it was great value. The staff were welcoming and very helpful. It's very accessible just off the M4 but there isn't terrible road noise which I had expected.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms are a little hotter than the lower level if you don't like having air condit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, June 12, 2013

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and trust that we will see you in the near future whether you are attending a local event or visiting the area.

newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

An overnight stay on business found me in sunny South Wales and I was very happy to find this hotel, just a stone's throw from the famous Celtic Manor Resort. Finding it from the M4 was a doddle and , whilst quite close to the motorway I slept with the window open and was not troubled by road noise.
The hotel boasts a small gym and pool, both of which are exclusive to residents.
My only gripe was that, for some reason the bulbs in my desk and standard lamps in the room were missing, but that was so minor that I didn't bother to mention it until I was leaving and I am sure, given the level of customer service displayed by the staff, that it would have been addressed while I was there had I asked.
Finally, my acid test; would I stay here again....yes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, June 10, 2013

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and would return to us when next in the area when I am confident your room will have all its lights working.

Once again thank you for your comment and custom
U.K
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Newport for a week in May, while on business in Wales.
The hotel is slightly tatty in places & in need of a bit of TLC.

The room was clean, tidy & the bed was very comfortable.
Even though it was 2 singles pushed together.

The mini gym is as the name says MINI & the swimming pool is not a pool but a slightly big bath.
Think old football team baths & this one is slightly smaller.

The breakfast buffet was very good with lots to choose from & service very good.

I stayed for 5 nights but only ate (I say ate) on the 1st night, being a Sunday evening.
I thought I had played it safe by ordering a pizza described as "thin crust Italian ciabatta style meat feast"
What I actually got was a thick crust pathetic excuse for a pizza.
It was undoubtedly the worst pizza I have ever seen, looked like it wasn't cooked & the cheese was all rubbery!
Also, calling it a meat feast was a complete p**s take!
It was so BAD, it was kind of funny & as my company was paying, I could see the funny side!
Please see picture (doesn't do it any justice)

It was a shame I didn't give the restaurant another chance but there was a Beefeater across the road/roundabout & I ate there for the rest of the week.
The menu was very good & each meal was excellent!

Now the one thing that gives this hotel 3 stars is the staff.
Every member of staff I met & spoke to were polite, chatty & extremely helpful.
When they spoke to you it was because they wanted to & not because they had to, if that makes sense :-)
Very helpful, very friendly & its a shame the hotel lets them down so badly!

Overall a very average hotel in desperate need of TLC & should be thankful that the staff do such a great job

If you have the choice, then go for the ST Pierre or the Premier Inn

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit.

Whilst I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy pizza on Sunday evening, I was extremely pleased to note that my colleagues created a really positive impression on you. The fault with the pizza quality we can correct quickly. The issue of decor is one which we are currently dealing with, firstly improvements to our bedroom stock and then the public areas.

Thank you once again for bringing the matter to my attention
cwmbran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We recently had a charity ball in honour of a fallen solider at this Holiday Inn, I feel I have to share this review with everyone. This ball could not of gone any better and that is purely down to the proffesionalism and caring attitude of the team. From the planning right through to the event the staff were fantastic, the service of the meal was 100% and I would definately reccommend this venue to anyone. A special mention must go to Jenny, Michelle, Sue and Craig who made sure this event was everything we wanted it to be. Thank you very much for us all

Room Tip: We did not use hotel for stay over only function
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review in regard to your recent experience.

I was delighted to learn that all who attended the ball to honour a fallen soldier enjoyed the event and that your role as an organiser was made so much easier by the assistance of all my colleagues especially, Jenny, Michelle, Sue and Craig.

Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Recently had my wedding reception/party at the holiday inn, the staff couldnt do enough for us throughout our 2 day stay, breakfast was loverly with a wide choice of things..The room was clean and tidy with everything in it you could possibly need...........a big thank you to everyone there who made our day special......

Room Tip: we were on the second floor which was quiet, and the fact if your a smoker there are rooms available...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dermot K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newport, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review in regard to your wedding reception .

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed the your special day with us, where my colleagues take pride in being able to create a memorable atmosphere to leave you to truly enjoy yourselves.

Once again thank you for your comments and custom and we look forward to welcome you back in the future

Been to Holiday Inn Newport? Share your experiences!