“Comfy beds, very noisy from louts and music!” 2 of 5 stars

The Queens Hotel, Newport
19 Bridge Street, Newport NP20 4AN, Wales   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Newport
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Comfy beds, very noisy from louts and music!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Beds clean and comfortable but seriously in need of some soundproofing of the windows etc!
Louts playing loud music in cars and shouting late at night, loud music most of the week.
No food as kitchen closed for maintenance but this was not mentioned at time of booking and the sign gets reprinted on a daily basis adding yet more closure days with no real apology when questioned it. Wouldn't choose to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed one night at The Queens, no frills, clean rooms. Everything there for a good night's sleep but no refinement. There was a lot of noise from trolleys being loaded/unloaded outside but was so tired did not keep me awake too long. Was surprised to see a painter painting the corridor walls outside my room at 7.00pm. Had breakfast in the hotel/pub bar which was good. Was delighted to have SA Brains "Reverend James" beer on draft (not at breakfast time!).

Room Tip: Book - otherwise may get a small noisy room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear McCeeBee,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us here at The Queen’s Hotel. I’m sorry you was disturbed by our deliveries, we do try our best to get them quickly and quietly as we can. Due to us being a city centre hotel we are limited to what times we can accept them. Once again I do apologise for this and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards
Hoensbroek, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights between Christmas and new year and felt at home.The accommodation was excellent and the food is terrific value for money. We checked in on a miserable wet winters evening after ten hours of travel and was given a cup of tea at reception to warm us up, a small gesture but it really hit the spot.Yes at times it is a little noisy but nothing to moan about.A few months back we stayed at the Wetherspoons in Inverness and that is also very good value but Newport had more of the personal and friendly touch.I don,t think we will be back that way again but if we should I would book in again and I commend the staff and management on an excellent system.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lairduig

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay here with us at The Queen's Hotel Newport. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future if you do happen to visit the area again.

Kind Regards
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during Christmas week. On arrival were told the loo was broken and someone was coming to fix it, which they did but the loo was ok so not sure what all that was about! We were also warned that a Dj was on in the bar for both evenings. The first night found us listening to a couple next door trying to kill each other, but once I got the porter to give them a knock that all settled down quickly. My real problem was the Saturday evening. I expected the noise from chucking out time, but thought all would go quiet after that. How wrong I was....I think we must have been tagged onto the back of the service lift and it felt like this was working ALL NIGHT behind our bed. I got 3 hours sleep that evening, and I'm all not sure how I managed that! There would have been no point complaining - if the lift had to be used then it had to be, and we had already been advised we had the last family room (despite booking months before), but why even use this as a guest room. I didn't feel like a guest but an inmate with all the clanking and bottle smashing into bins. Wetherspoons, are you that greedy that you'll treat your paying guests like that? I know that next time I will use the (much cheaper) Travelodge across the road! This is a real shame for a hotel which boasts an excellent pub with fantastic food and great staff, this is the reason I gave 3 stars. If I had a different room for my 50+ pounds per night you may have got higher. Please, for the sake of future guests, turn room 8 over to storage and charge a bit extra for the other rooms if you need to!

Room Tip: Don't use room 8!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Mandy W,

Thank your for taking the time to post your review about your stay here at The Queen's Hotel, Following on from your review about your stay, firstly I would like to personally apologise for your disappointment. We aim to provide our customers with the best possible standards, occasionally we may fall short of the standards we look to achieve. We would like to assure you that your comments and observations have been taken seriously and the appropriate action taken in order to ensure we maintain our standards of service. The efforts of the Hotel / Pub team are continuing to provide the best possible experience for all our customers. Once again thank you for bringing the matter to our attention, and for giving us the opportunity to improve. If you would like to discuss this issue with me further then please don’t hesitate to leave your contact details or to contact me

Regards

Clevedon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

One night stay in Newport purely as a social outing. Room on the small side but spotless, bed was very comfortable. No complaints as the room was cheap for a Saturday night. We were aware prior to travel that there could be noise from the Wetherspoon's pub 'nightclub' and warned at reception. Didn't hear a thing!!

Would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LG1953

Thank you for your review.
Im glad enjoyed your stay.

Hope to see you soon.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel had some considerable pros and cons. It is cheap, but it is also very noisy. It was booked at short notice (same day) for a single night, a Saturday night, meeting up with my son who was staying at another hotel in the town for a planned event we were both attending on the Sunday in Cardiff. I did know it was run by JD Wetherspoon, but this was not necessarily a problem as I have used many Wetherspoons pubs and I am used to them representing value for money.

What I did not know was how noisy it would be. I am used to Wetherspoons pubs having just TVs on with subtitles on the news channel. This one had very loud music and a DJ who went on way into the early hours. In addition, there was a function going in in the hotel itself, with very loud music coming out of a room right next to reception, to the point where I struggled to hear the receptionist. She explained this is normal for Friday and Saturday nights, but that rooms were cheap on a Sunday. Quite how that was relevant when I was only booked in for Saturday was a mystery, but perhaps she had added some other detail that I could not hear.

We did call into the pub about 9.30pm and my wife asked for a hot drink as she was very cold after walking around from the car, which had to be parked quite some distance away, but this was refused as machines had been turned off. When my son and I popped out to the train station (very close by) to collect his girlfriend, the bouncers wanted to charge her £2 to come in even though we had not even finished our first drinks we had ordered before nipping out yet. We did not want to pay just to come into a very noisy Wetherspoons pub, so we all left and went to our hotels, meaning we had very little time with them, which was the whole reason we had booked to come up the night before the sports event.

The corridors in the hotel are a maze and really quite smelly in places. Our room was very cold on arrival. I turned up the radiators, but after 20 minutes of waiting there was no heat coming through. It was on by the morning, so perhaps it is on a timer system. The shower was small, actually a bit cramped, but worked fine and the amount of towels supplied was quite good for a cheap hotel. The quantity of hot drink materials supplied in the room was also quite generous. The bed itself was firm, but comfortable enough, although I did not like getting into it while the sheets etc were so cold due to the lack of heating and the noise levels meant sleep was elusive for quite some time.

Nobody was on reception when we came down in the morning, so I could not give any feedback direct to staff. We did go into the adjacent pub for breakfast, about 7.15am which was fine, and, of course at cheap Wetherspoons prices, and nice to be able to find breakfast at all so early in the morning, as many hotels only offer a late breakfast on a Sunday.

In summary then, some features of this hotel represent good value, but be aware it is in a very central location and extremely noisy at weekends. If you can't handle this, book elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank your for taking the time to post your review about your stay here at The Queen's Hotel, Following on from your review about your stay, firstly I would like to personally apologise for your disappointment regarding the door staff requesting payment to enter the premises next door, Hotel Guests are allowed free entry to the pub but obviously on this occasion there was a miscommunication, We aim to provide our customers with the best possible standards, occasionally we may fall short of the standards we look to achieve.
Unfortunately during your stay the radiators were on a timer system, this has now changed so guests have control of the radiators in there rooms.
We would like to assure you that your comments and observations have been taken seriously and the appropriate action taken in order to ensure we maintain our standards of service, The efforts of the Hotel / Pub team are continuing to provide the best possible experience for all our customers. Once again thank you for bringing the matter to our attention, and for giving us the opportunity to improve. If you would like to discuss this issue with me further then please don’t hesitate to leave your contact details or to contact me.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We came to Newport to celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary,the room was large and clean,and a decent size shower,plus the shower room was nice and big.The beds were firm,but comfortable,and the amenities were right on the door step.Nights however was noisy,as you would expect sleeping over a pub,which died of around 11pm,Then there was the early morning beer deliveries.If we come back again i will ask for a room at the back it may be quieter,we had room 8 which was 2nd floor over entrance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nathan W, Manager at The Queens Hotel, Newport, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Jean Rose P

Thank you for taking the time on posting your comments about your stay with us here at The Queen’s Hotel Newport. I’m very sorry that you was disturbed by our deliveries, we do aim to get them in as quickly and quietly as we can. Being a city centre pub / Hotel we are limited to what times we can have our deliveries once again I do apologise for this.

Been to The Queens Hotel, Newport? Share your experiences!