“Great Food and Great Atmoshere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Madeira

Madeira
2 Guildford Crescent, Cardiff CF10 2HJ, Wales (City Centre)
+44 29 20667705
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #94 of 938 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Portuguese
Neighborhood: City Centre
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Food and Great Atmoshere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been going to this Madeira Restaurant for years and its one of my favorite eating houses. On this occasion I attended this Restaurant accompanied by approximately 30 members of "The South Wales Gay Mens Chorus" for our annual dinner. This is our second annual dinner held at the Madeira and are returning, as they really enjoyed the last visit. We arrived on time and our table was ready for us and we were seated straight away. The varied starters came out together, were hot and well presented. All food is displayed and is cooked fresh to order, you can even see it being prepared by the chef's as the kitchen is open to the Restarant.
I had Scampi to start, which was delicious and a good portion size too. For main I had Chicken breast (it was huge) accompanied by a rich portuguese sauce which was very tasty. All main meals are served with ample platters with a combination of peas, Cauliflour in batter, and saute potatoes . Myself and a few friends had the house red wine, it was fruity, smooth and very nice, so nice ,we had to have another bottle !!! We didnt order deserts as I was quite full after the main course, however as it was My Birthday the guys had arranged for Happy Birthday to be sung to me and a free shot was provided by the Madeira...After the meal I asked as many of the Chorus their opinion of their experience eating at The Madeira and I can confidently say they really enjoyed the evening, the only negative, was that the meat served on skewers was a little dry although it was served with garlic butter, they wished they had taken a sauce with it. This restaurant is great for large parties as it has doubled in size since being redeveloped a few years ago, and now offers far better Gents facilities. Very efficient restaurant staff, some know me by first name as I've been a patron for so long. I Love going here and will always return. I've read some of the negative reviews about this Restaurant and it appears when it IS busy, then maybe the owners may need to consider employing more staff to address the poor service issue, hence improving their rating on Tripadvisor. Still good value for money though :-)

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Fantastic Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Have spent two fantastic evenings at the Madeira restaurant and am looking forward to my third visit next week. The food is absolutely lovely, service is excellent, nothing too much trouble, very fun and friendly atmosphere. I visit Cardiff quite regularly and since this restaurant was recommended to me I have eaten there each visit and intend to for all future visits. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Love it here, been quite a few times and every meal has been spot on. From the fillet steak in Madeira sauce to beef hanging from a spike in the ceiling, it's always been truly amazing food.

There's a small function room upstairs (which is where we have our Christmas work parties) and the main restaurant downstairs. The staff are helpful and there's bags of atmosphere downstairs with nice lighting and low ceilings. Will always return here for good food.

• Visited December 2012
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“First class meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We took our Daughters for a meal to the Madeira Restaurante in Cardiff on Friday to celebrate our eldest daughters 21st Birthday .... We had a fantastic time. The food is always freshly cooked to perfection, the battered and deep fried cauliflower was to die for! Staff cannot do enough for you, and the dancing dolls and liquer shot they gave my daughter while playing the Portuguese version of "Happy Birthday" made the night!
Highly recommended, fabulous atmosphere and top class food.
We can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2013
Taunton
“Bags of atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a weekend in Cardiff and decided to book an evening meal at Madeira , glad we booked as the place was packed, it looks quite small from the outside but once your in it stretches back a long way.
The atmosphere is great, noise level is quite high so if your hard of hearing you may struggle to hear the waiter but that's a small price to pay for the happy vibe.
Food was hot and tasty and service was excellent, no searching around for a waiter if you need one.
We ate around 9 pm but there were still people coming in till around 10 so would advise booking.
Would definitely go back again.