“Great food but super poor staff” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #153 of 904 Restaurants in Cardiff
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Great food but super poor staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I have been there yesterday for dim sum as my mum said it was great. As we entered staff was so bad, she didn't greet us and just point to the table. We order some coke and asked for some water.,,,yes we did have water but we have to pay £3.50 for it. They don't give tap water for free like many resturant do!!! Then the man throw the menu at us and didn't say a word !!! So we asked for separate dim sum menu and he was again node his head and throw that at us !!!! We order food and he didn't recommend anything, we ask something on the menu as the menu is in Chinese and doesn't really explain what is in it !!! Finally we got dim sum on the table and it was excellent, very very nice food.... We was so uncomfortable by staff looking at us and stand at the front of you. Finally we asked for the bill and it came in Chinese !!! The price is ok, it is not expensive for the quality of food that we have. Overall, for food is a big thump up but staff need more training. They never came and ask if everything was ok as I have been to many resturant but it is definitely far better than Cosmo down the bay !!!

Gibraltar
“Always the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant for over 30 years after a long gap living away from Cardiff for over 20 years my visit was more then nostalgic it was like time had not changed. This unprotentious restaurant has never ever failed me in fact I think it is better than ever...if that is possible. OMG this is real chinese at great prices and super service. Its hidden away from non-locals but if you read this go there any time of the day. I always seen to eat lunch there at 4pm and the chef must live in as its always great. Brasvo Riverside please dont ever change!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
cardiff
“Very authentic Chinese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having read the reviews here, I decided to give it a try. Luckily, I did not go to the wrong place. The food here is authentic, fresh and delicious. We had a big meal with loads of dishes ordered on the table, and we love them all!! The price is reasonable as well. Overall speaking, this is a very good restaurant which worths a go. I am sure you won't regret.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Can't wait to go back 10 out of 10 great service, stunning food, Can't wait to go back 10 out of 10 great service, stunning food,

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Don't believe the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We headed up the stairs past the very poorly maintained fish tank and entered the dimly lit restaurant where we were quietly greeted and shown to our table, pounced upon for our drinks order and left to consider how many waiters' eyes were watching us studying the menu. Our drinks were promptly served and we ordered our food. Thinking that there would be a short time before the food arrived I went to the loo (which was clean and modern) and could hear what sounded like an arguement going on in the kitchen with lots of loud swearing so I made a quick exit past another dirty fish tank which I can't bear to see - poor fish - and all our food had arrived. Unfortunately the food was quite bland as some other reviewers have commented, I only came to Riverside on the back of all the excellent reviews but would not return. The staff are very polite and attentive but the food was a let down and I have eaten a lot of Chinese food in my time. P.S. Riverside please clean your fish tanks.

• Visited October 2012