“Good location but could do with some improvements” 3 of 5 stars

Jolyon's Boutique Hotel
Bute Crescent, Cardiff CF10 5AN, Wales   |
Ranked #31 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good location but could do with some improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed ovenight at this hotel as a birthday weekend treat. The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to be in the centre of all the cafes, bars and attractions. Stayed in room 5 which had a a fabulous view across the bay and of the Millenium Centre, athough there was quite a lot of noise early in the morning from delivery vans outside delivering goods to the surrounding bars. The room itself was clean and comfortable with a huge bathroom but the old television and shelving for the tea and coffee facilities could do with updating as it felt out of place with the theme of the room. The room could also do with a small table to be able to sit at to drink a cup of tea or glass of wine . Whilst there were tea and coffee facilities in the room there were no biscuits provided which I would have expected in a boutique hotel and £100 a night.

There was no information provided about the facilities of the hotel in the room. I had to ask what time breakfast was available from and was told that it was 8 until 10am. The following morning we went down for breakfast at 9.40 to find it deserted and everything had been cleared away. Only the chef was around who told us that that breakfast was 7.30-9.30am - which is an unreasonable time for breakfast to finish on a Sunday morning. He did say we could still choose anything off the menu and made us a drink. We felt uncomfortable so we asked for something quick as we were hungry and then left.

At 10.30 we also received a knock on the room door from the cleaner asking what time we were leaving. Checkout was not supposed to be until 12pm.

Overall, the hotel is clean and comfortable in a great location but the service could be improved upon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
jolyons, General Manager at Jolyon's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear AR,

thank you very much for your review, comments such as yours highlight training to be reviewed with the team.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment of its rooms and we will be introducing a new food and beverage concept.

It would give us great pleasure to welcome you back to see the changes.

Kind regards,

Carl Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The term "boutique hotel" carries a certain expectation - an attention to detail you wouldn't get in a big chain. At first glance, this place ticked the boxes (apart from my initial arrival, where I had to wait outside ringing the bell for 5 minutes til someone came up from the bar). My room (Number 1) was a good size, had nice toiletries in the bathroom, a wet room shower, a dock for your ipod and an impressive large four poster bed. There was a nice touch in the inclusion of proper coffee and hot chocolate next to the kettle.

So far, great. But as the evening progressed I got more and more annoyed, to the point where I started entering each minor and major annoyance into my phone's Notes app. Here they are, unedited.

Having to wait for the bar downstairs to close before going to sleep - 1.15am on a Thursday night! Website says 11. [The music and talking were extremely loud]
Some missing light bulbs in the bathroom
No minibar in the room
Old fashioned TV right up in the corner by the ceiling
Badly fitting blinds in the bathroom [bear in mind this was ground floor, backing onto a beer garden]
The worst wifi ever. [Couldn't get a connection all evening]
No apology for the noise when complained in the morning. Guy said "Strange, it shouldn't have been open til then"
V mediocre full welsh breakfast in grotty bar. No sausage available, no toast or orange juice

Combine all the above with unprofessional staff, who clearly would rather be serving in the bar and feel the hotel is a massive inconvenience, it's a shocker. If it had been advertised as a generic 3 star hotel I would have let most of the above go (apart from the bar noise, which is unforgivable anywhere).

Plus points: Clean, extremely close to Millenium Centre.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the ground floor room, you may as well try to sleep in the bar.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear LizMcMahon73,

Thank you very much for your comments, it is with great regret to read of your comments regarding your stay.

Jolyons Boutique Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment on its bedroom and we will also be introducing and exciting new food and beverage concept.

It would give me great pleasure to welcome you back for a much better hotel experience.

With kind regards,

Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hotel charged me twice the booking price. After three weeks and several phone calls and email requests I still haven't gotten the money back. I filed a report with my credit card company and also a report with the police as coincidently, my credit card details were stolen at my arrival in this hotel. Whether the receptionist or someone in the hotel stole them, cannot tell, but it sure makes me suspicious if they do not even answer my requests.
And in any case, I think most of the reviews here are overstatements. It is far from being luxurious: no table to place my laptop, old-fashioned tube TV, drafty windows, noisy environment ...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tachy2013,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I have emailed you and called you personally but never received a response, comments such as yours are serious, including accusations towards our team.

All that remains for me to say is we are totally developing our property with a refurbishment of all of our rooms and also the introductory of our new food and beverage concept.

Kind regards,

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The location is superb, right opposite the WMC.
This is a charming hotel with lots of character . The rooms are clean, warm, spacious and comfortable. We stayed in Room 5 , the view toward the theatre and the Welsh Assembly building was fabulous in the crisp winter morning sunshine . Bar Cwtch is cosy with a blazing fire and relaxed ambience - well worth a visit. The breakfast was freshly cooked to order.
We were greeted on arrival by Josh who was pleasant, chatty and really personable - thanks Josh! We will certainly make this our hotel of choice whenever we have a Cardiff theatre outing in the future. Nadolig Llawen pawb .
Ps . Havannah St car park is much cheaper than NCP . Both a 5 to 10 minute walk from the hotel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brecon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here on the weekend, for a girly couple of days in Cardiff. The location was brilliant, you couldn't ask for better, and even though, yes it was little noisy at night, it didn't keep us awake!
Our welcome was rather stand offish and we were made to feel quite uncomfortable that we had arrived early. Even though none of us expected to be shown to our rooms, we didn't think it was too much to ask for our bags to be kept safe. Although this seemed a little bit of a hassle.
Our rooms were all clean and all different with little quirky bits in each room. They do however need some TLC. Paint was coming off, old coffee cup stains and yellow marks on the bath to name a few things that could be addressed.
Having said that the beds were comfortable and everyone seemed to have a good nights sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was a real let down. We barely had any welcome. The breakfast wasn't very nice. Scrambled egg was dry, luke warm beans and sausage that was very chewy. Don't think anyone in our party ate it all. Vegetarian breakfast consisted or beans mushrooms and egg, and that was it. There was no choice of how you had your eggs etc.
This hotel has real potential with its location but it needs a spruce up and the staff need to be more welcoming.
All in all disappointing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel
We arrived to the sound of fire alarm blaring but it was soon sorted and we were shown to our room which was roomy with a great bathroom
Neat little bar area very comfortable
Cardiff bay very calm location
Good trip

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Swansea south wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked to stay at the hotel and found out that we were staying in the hotel in cathedral rd which when we booked we wanted to stay at bute st , I phoned to see if we could change to the other hotel and was told yes no problem it's s Sunday night and we have plenty of room , I checked that we would be charged the same amount which was £66 per room including breakfast on checking out in the morning I was charged £100 for one room and £90 for the other , I was told I had to pay this but if I phoned later that day I would be reimbursed the over spend I did this and sent the confirmation which I originally had but was told I still had to pay the extra , I feel completely conned out of £58 and would not trust , recommend or stay in this hotel ever again !
Derek morgan

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Jolyon's Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!