“Dirty!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of ML Lodge

You added ML Lodge to your Saves list
ML Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 St Mary Street, Cardiff CF10 1DX, Wales (Formerly Millennium Lodge) (City Centre)   |
Ranked #54 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Ebbw Vale
“Dirty!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Title says it all. From the entrance hall up to the room everything was dirty. Yes we didn't inform management but there was nothing anyone could have done at that point apart from shut the place down. If we hadn't arrived so late for our evening out then I would have been looking for other accomodation. I blame myself though for not researching ML Lodge more throughly before booking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest.
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay. We do have strict cleaning procedures in place and all linen/laundry is professionally cleaned. We are now in the process of painting the rooms as I agree that some walls have been marked and may appear as dirty.
We offer so much more than the budget chain hotels and so it is disappointing that you do not feel we are value for money.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We checked in about 5pm and were told we were the last in, so were on the top floor (4th floor).
This wouldn't be a problem but there was no lift so we ended up hauling our luggage up endless flights of stairs (we counted 100 steps to the top) - ridiculous!
The room was very basic, not the worst I've ever stayed in but not worth £58 for the night by any stretch of the imagination!!
It occurred to me later that I didn't see any fire escape - you would not want to be stuck in this building I can tell you. Spend your money elsewhere people!

• Stayed July 2013
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
I appreciate the stairs can be hard work but this is mentioned on all websites and we have a tick box to ensure it is mentioned when we take a booking by phone. I am certain you will have seen that it is impossible to get a lift installed as we are small bed and breakfast with nine rooms over five floors.
With regards to fire safety then we have a full fire certificate with a high end fire alarm system that is linked to the fire brigade. We would not be open if the fire brigade felt there was any danger.
We offer so much more than the chain budget hotels including free Wi-Fi.
The criticism seems to be about the stairs and as mentioned above I sadly cannot do anything about this other than to offer you a lower floor room on request if you were to return.
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I know we paid cheaply last minute booked but my god I have never stayed in such a filthy room as this .carpets were filthy ,full of questionable stains beds were clean but so uncomfortable I really had a bad back following day the street noise was terrible between party goers till 3am then street cleaners from 5am I had no sleep I can't believe not double glazed . Didn't have shower as too filthy , I wouldn't dare drink out of minging cups .PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay. I am surprised that you did not mention anything to us.
I genuinely did not find the carpets to be poor in the room. I will investigate about the beds being uncomfortable as we have changed some recently so I thought they were now all okay. Street noise is always more prominent in the city centre but rooms can be requested at the back of the hotel which is much quieter. I am not sure what you believe is wrong with the shower or cups as they are serviced daily.
We are graded as a three star bed and breakfast. We offer extremely competitive rates for the centre of Cardiff. Any profit made is put back into the business. It is extremely tough financially to run and is course made much worse by the bad reviews on this website.
All I can do is promise readers that we try our best and we do get lots of happy guests as well.
We have an occupancy rate of over 85% so I believe we must be offering value for money
I also give my word that if anyone is not happy within fifteen minutes of arrival then they can get a full refund. I state this so people can book with confidence.
Once again I send my apologies
Thank you.
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Not a place to stay for 1 hour let alone 1 night or longer. First of all, we were told that we could park in Westgate St car park we turn up and the road has closed because of the rugby (fair enough, however someone from The Sandringham Hotel called to ensure we were still staying and when we asked if there was anything we should know nothing was mentioned) this meant that we had to park the car at St David's and then move it later in the evening, staff at The Sandringham were very good and gave us complimentary drinks and paid our parking. When we got to the ML Lodge we just wanted to turn back around again, the room was dirty, cold, cramped, NO HOT WATER AT ALL!!! For £75 a night you expect cleanliness and hot water wouldn't go a miss at least then you could wash the filthy feeling off you! The cups and bowl for the tea making facilities were dirty, and we were too afraid to drink from them. Not a place we would EVER stay again! We were staying there as a couple and as a female there was no way I was going to stay in that room alone, it just doesn't feel safe! I didn't even want to rate this at all but you to at least fill in 1 dot to get this through!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I apologise that you were not made aware of the road closure that operated on the day you stayed. However I am delighted that the Staff from the Sandringham dealt with this problem so efficiently. We are not the same operators. We pay to use the Sandringham reception as we are a small business so I am glad everything was okay in the end.
I apologise if certain areas were not cleaned as they should be. You say you did not feel safe but outside every room is cctv and we have 24 hour security. Some chain hotels are unable to offer this. Hot water should as you say be in every room. However occasionally a switch needs to be reset and we could have sorted this out for you immediately if you had mentioned it to us. You have clearly not enjoyed your stay and I regret this. The price paid for the night was very favourable with our competitors. Any money made is ploughed back into the business and it is very tough in the current financial climate. I assure all readers that if they are not happy within the first 30 minutes of entering the room then they can get a full refund and we will cancel the reservation. I offer this as I genuinely want guests to enjoy their stay.
Brighton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I always think when reading other peoples reviews that you can't expect 5* for 2* prices, you get what you pay for. But you should still be able to expect the basics, not think that you've walked into something from 'Holidays from Hell' on tv. Our room was on the top floor (100 stairs up, no lift). Despite this, due to single glazing windows, the noise level from outside was very loud. The room had a really awful smell. The curtains were moldy, the carpet was filthy, the beds/bedding were grubby, even the walls were dirty. The room was freezing and the hot water kept turning very cold. We went to complain to reception in The Sandringham Hotel and the staff there could not have been more helpful. It turns out they don't own the ML Lodge, just do their check ins/outs. They offered to either refund us (and even searched online for any vacancies elsewhere) or we could stay there for the first night (as no rooms available for the second) and would improve the ML room for the second night (which they did, no bad smell, cleaned curtains, changed bedding & towels, heated the room, and even left us hot chocolate & biscuits), they also gave us free breakfast for both days too. I would never stay at the ML Lodge again, but would definitely stay at the Sandringham again as have nice rooms and fantastic staff (family run).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at ML Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I am very sorry to read your review. We have had some problems with a third party cleaning company that we have now changed. With the improvements made on the second night I am certain that we can deliver excellent value for money. The price paid was a lot lower than our competition. We do have steep stairs but sadly we are not able to do anything about this. This is the main reason our prices are low.
I realise there were issues which as I say we have now overcome.
On a separate note I am genuinely happy that our friends at the Sandringham have been able to assist you. They have an excellent reputation for service and this is why we pay to use their reception facility.
Once again I apologise but please be assured that I have acted on your findings. I run a small company but realise cleaning is extremely important and I believe we now have better practices in place.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very bad never want to stay there ever again , no hot water, blood stain on bedding and bed didn't feel safe as notice on door saying keep ur room looked at all times just the worst place I have ever stayed

• Stayed February 2013
owner123, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hello
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay.
However I can assure you that I have found no problem with the hot water and no such stains on bedding. We send our laundry away to be cleaned by a professional company so it would surprise me for this to be as you have stated. I am also surprised that you have not informed us whilst you were here if this was the case.
The sign states that for safety reasons it is adviseable to keep your door locked. This sign will be on all hotel bedroom doors not just ours. It is just a recommendation. We have security cameras on every single corridor which I am sure is far more than some major hotels.
I genuinely regret that you have not enjoyed your stay.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

This place is the pits, really. Booked on late rooms, even if you were the fitest person in the world, you would struggle 5 flights of stairs.
The rooms have not been clean in a while with marks all over the walls. Sticky carpet. Mouldy shower, mouldy window sills and curtains. Shower leaked and no hot water. Broken bed, something spiky sticking out of mattress. Holes in sheets and duvet covers, dirty old duvets, with stains.
Noise from street cleaning all night ( the street was cleaner than the room).
Poor communication with owner, who gets stroppy when you complain. So it's pointless. Just don't go there, I felt really grubby when I left. Vile place, a pig sty would be cleaner.

• Stayed February 2013
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this review, October 4, 2014
I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay or the way your complaint was handled.
We always try to improve and will continue to by acting on guests comments.
Kind regards, Chris

Been to ML Lodge? Share your experiences!