“Fantastic experience - just what Cardiff needs” 5 of 5 stars

029 2022 7773
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Asian
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience - just what Cardiff needs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My partner and I visited this place last Saturday and had one of the best evenings out we have had in Cardiff.

We wanted to try something a bit different than our usual Italian/Brasserie and Double Super Happy didn't disappoint. At first we were a little confused about the menu as the options are for lots and lots of small dishes, rather than the starter/main/dessert that we are used to. However, the waiter seemed to clock this straight away and explained the concept of 'Dim Sum' ( a bit like Thai style tapas dishes), all for sharing and trying a bit of everything.
The menu was varied and we ordered a bit of everything: the rack of BBQ ribs, duck leg and chicken satay among our favourites. The duck leg is carved at your table - at first we thought this would be awkward but the waiter was very chatty and made us laugh, creating a relaxed atmosphere.
I also noted, coming from a vegetarian family, that there were plenty of veggie/vegan options, meaning I would definitely put this place up there for my next family lunch out.
The cocktails (although a little too exotic for my partner's taste) were cleverly made and tasty, although be careful, they are stronger than they look!
If I was forced to make a complaint it would be that not everything we wanted to order from the menu was available. The waiter was very apologetic and we had such a great time that I can't wait to return and try the dishes that we missed out on.

Highly recommended if you are looking for something a bit more interesting than the generic type of bar/restaurant that Cardiff City Centre seems to be overwhelmed by.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wales
“Double Super....and still Hungry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I visited last week with great expectations from other reviews. The menu was smaller than that printed on the internet and was disappointed that a number of dishes weren't on there. When we ordered a number of things weren't available such as the only rice dish or the pak choi, which we weren't told about until after ordering.

The prawn crackers were greasy, the pancakes for the duck dried out and the prawns were burnt. Overall the other dishes such as the soft shell crab, spring rolls, long green beans, firecracker prawns and the salt and pepper squid were nice. Only problem was the portions were tiny with a bite each between the four of us for each dish. Considering the £4.50 price tag for the chicken satay for example, we complained and were told that the chef has no control over portion sizes and this is fed down from above and menu specs for each dish.

The staff were friendly, took on board our comments and the manager discounted the bill after reiterating that portion size was an issue raised with management previously.

I wouldn't go back as I left cold, hungry and unhappy :-(

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, beautiful cocktails & great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I and five friends decided to try this place as it looked unique, and had heard great things from friends. When we arrived we were greeted straight away, seated and before we knew it had a complimentary portion of prawn crackers. We made it just after happy hour, which we were slightly disappointed about as the cocktails were beautiful and we would have loved to have took full advantage of the 241 cocktail offer. When ordering the food we had to fill in a menu which we found hilarious and a great idea. The food itself although rather small in portion size was mouth watering, the tempura was absolutely fantastic, and I recommend Double Super Chilli Squid as it was exquisite. The service was great, the waiter and bartender were really down to earth, easy to speak to and friendly. My only real criticism would be the toilets. They were small, cold and felt very cramped in, and I didn’t like the fact that the men’s and women’s weren’t separated by anything but that’s just me being a little bit meticulous.

Overall we had a extremely pleasant evening, will 100% be returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Double Super Unhappy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was very excited to go here when I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago but couldn't have been more disappointed. It was so cold we all had to keep our coats on. I tried to order the strawberry lemonade but they had run out. We ordered our food and 10 minutes after ordering the waiter came back and told us the sticky rice wasn't available which was annoying as it is the only rice dish on the menu. Then another 10 minutes passes and he comes back to tell us the pak choi isn't available either. So we chose the beans instead. At this point there are 3 things unavailable and I'm already unimpressed.

The food arrives and the portions were so ridiculously small I felt like crying. The chicken skewers consisted of 1 mouthful of chicken on 4 skewers and they charged £4.50 for it. The prawns were tiny, the pancakes to go with the duck leg were stuck together and overcooked, the prawn dumplings absolutely stank and now I fear I may suffer for eating it later tonight. We ordered a total of 10 dishes between the 4 of us and we left absolutely starving hungry.

However, the manager was brilliant and gave us more than 50% off the bill and said he would give the director our feedback as he has had complaints about the portion sizes before. A very nice man and took everything on board and couldn't have been more apologetic. Sadly, I still won't be going back.

There was nobody else in there and now I know why.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good food extremely slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I went to celebrate a friends birthday and they had booked a table for 8pm to seat 13 so were well aware of a bigger group. However, we had to wait until 9 for anyone to approach us about taking our order and even then not everyone had the note paper menu to note their choices on. A friend even was forced to use the menu that was blutacked to the window.
After waiting about half an hour the food was served in dribs and drabs which is fair enough due to the size of the group. The quality of the food was good and tasty. However many of us order the 'bottomless' prawn crackers, which double super happy soon ran out. We only had 2 bowls and were bitterly disappointed.
There was a mix up with our cocktails but once the correct one arrived it was fairly nice. It's sister bar Pica Pica is by far better with it cocktail making and service. If you still decide to visit double super happy pop to pica pica and ask for BYGOF cocktail vouchers to use.
The toilets are cramped and cold with ill positioned mirrors near the sinks. The whole restaurant was cold and was using tiny electric heaters, poor show.

• 3 of 5 stars Food