“Helpful waiter and interesting offerings” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
England
“Helpful waiter and interesting offerings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were staying at the Premier Inn just nearby and wanted something a bit different for my birthday. I got the takeway menu in the afternoon and so we decided pretty much what we would order before going to the restaurant earlyish in the evening with our 6 year old.
It was pretty full of what I presume are Chinese students who were mainly tucking into the hotpots and enormous dishes of various meats. It seems to be help youself for the hotpot ingredients but I may try one next time. However, the waiters were kept busy and we could people watch before placing our order.
The chicken satay we ordered without sauce for our son was wonderful - great big fillets which certainly explained the waiter's caution at our order. Normally our son would eat 4 and have space for chips (he's gone off rice!) but he was defeated and couldn't make room for the prawn toast. I had to change my order from something very Chinese no one had ordered for years to duck with ginger and chili. A wonderful, dry-style dish, though since pregnancy, I'm afraid I can't eat too many chilis, though I did my best. My husband had a beef dish I seem to recall and was delighted.
The place emptied a bit after a while, presumably so the students could go back to studying fortified with plentiful, tasty food.
It may seem old fashioned, and I can't comment on the usual western-style dishes but want to explore more of the Chinese menu. The steamed razor clam I had as a starter was wonderful and I'd order more another time.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Just about acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Ok if you can't find anywhere else to eat, mediocre food, but plenty of it.
They do not accept credit cards but point you in the direction of the cash point

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Cery nice Chinese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very good food good atmosphere although the Decor a little dated.
I had fried duck to start which was good and for main I had chilli and garlic beef which was outstanding!! Will definitely be going back here and will be recommending it to everyone.
5 of us (20 year old males) had starter and main and were all stuffed after it, all for about £20 each.. So not to bad pricing either!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“I waited and waited”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

this restaurant was just around the corner from my hotel.i went in and found that it was packe dout.i was seated at a table and handed the menus.I waited for 15minutes but nobody came to take my order so i got up and left.the food looked interesting if a bit expensive.i didnt try to go there again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Authentic and an amazing find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Two friends of mine and I ate here last night. It was on recommendation, so we new it was going to be good. The first thing I saw as we walked in the door was a Hot Pot that an asian couple had at their table. The last time I saw one of them was 30 years ago in London, I know I should get out more.
There were many tables with chinese people eating, which is a good sign of the foods authenticity. Our waitress was delightfull and very helpful. My friend asked for duck curry and although it was not on the menu they said ok, nothing was too much trouble, we had an assortment of Dim Sun's to start and then each one ordered their choice of mains, we also had two different rice dishes and a noodle dish. We all helped ourselves to everything on the table.
Next time I will order a Hot Pot, by the way, for those of you who are thinking what this is I will explain how it works.
They place a large saucepan of hot water in the middle of the table on a small heater and you simply cook your own food in the water. The menu gives you a choice of different types of food to order, such as meats, vegetarian, fish, shelfish etc, and at your leisure you each cook your food, how great is that, and they've been doing this for thousands of years.
This isn't the poshist place I've been to, but it does'nt have to be to be good, but it was clean and very friendly and we paid £15 each in total. Next time in Cardiff I know where I'll be visiting again.

• Visited November 2012