“Beautiful hotel, great staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 30% OFF
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I recently booked the Holland House hotel for a show and stay package. The hotel offered a very competive package of 3 course meal, tribute act, accommodation and breakfast. We were given a great room on the 10th floor with good views over to Cardiff Bay. The room had a very spacious doublebed which could fit 3 people easily in it, and a single bed. The bath was a great size also.

The hotel has an excellent piano bar, restaurant and spa facilities. I would definately return for a similarpackage deal, highly recommended to city visitors.

Room Tip: 10th floor rear rooms have a great view across to the bay and are very spacious.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and it was a great night had by all!!

Thanks for the review and we hope you get a chance to come back and visit us soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I stayed at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House for 4 nights in the last week of May 2014. It was my third or fourth visit. My stays have all been business related.

I must say that they continue to move from strength to strength. The hotel staff on this occasion (as on others), were well presented, intelligent, demonstrated good command of English, made appropriate levels of eye contact, and were willing to help.

I stayed in an executive suite, which was nicely laid out. Everything worked. Most impressively, the free wifi was clocking 18Mbit/s on Speedtest.net. This is the fastest wireless broadband I've had at any hotel in the UK in memory, ever! The good wifi/broadband enabled me to get on with my work, stay in contact with colleagues and friends, and to enjoy the hotel stay better. I think that good wifi is a must for any hotel, and like in most city areas in Netherlands and Copenhagen, it should be at no additional cost. I really wish to encourage the Mecure brand to roll out free Wifi/broadband across the UK. It'll only boost their value-for-money rating.

The hotel bar and restaurant were excellent as usual.

It's probably a small thing, but important - their elevators work very very well. Within a few seconds you're whizzed off the ground floor to the top floors. That really is a good thing - as I just groan if I have to deal with lethargic lifts (at other hotels).

The room I occupied was comfortable, with no environmental noise to disturb me. Room temperature was easy to adjust on the aircon control. The bed and linen were very nice and allowed me to sleep very well. Bathroom and toilet - all good. There was an issue with face basin not emptying very quickly - but it wasn't very serious.

I give them a 4.5 out of 5 on this occasion because they met all expectations, and wowed me with that superfast wifi/broadband! :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thanks CaptainWalker for taking the time to review our Hotel.

We recently upgraded our WIFI bandwidth and it's positive to hear that this has been effective.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had a long weekend in Cardiff before going away on Holiday to the Canaries and had a great time in this Hotel and Cardiff itself. We found the Staff particularly helpful in their suggestions and how to get about the City. We chose this hotel as it was near everything we wanted to do whilst visiting the City.
The room had a large king size bed which was very comfortable, separate sitting area with sofa, table and 2 chairs, huge bathroom with a corner bath and enough wardrobe space for a family of six. Being on a high floor the views are superb – you just can’t help yourself in gazing out the window.
The hotel has underground parking which does at a cost and there is street parking around the Hotel which costs much about the same. The car park is tight but with care it is accessible. Wifi was free – and had a good strength.
Breakfast was well presented and offered a lot of choice- very welcoming Staff. We did not eat in the Restaurant at night preferring to be in the City which has a buzz about it of an evening.
Downtown Cardiff is within easy strolling distance with a variety of Visitor Attractions, Shopping and Eateries. We walked everywhere and found this a pleasure. The Doctor Who experience and scene spotting from Torchwood was an added bonus.
Will definitely return to this Hotel.

Room Tip: Higher you are the better the view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Wow!! What a fantastic review!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay. We are very lucky to live in a city that offers so much variety and I'm glad you enjoyed the Hotel and Cardiff itself.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to return soon!

Southwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I had to stay over in Cardiff for a meeting and chose this hotel as it was closest to where I needed to be the following day. The hotel has underground parking which does cost you £12 but is easier than trying to park elsewhere. The reception area is open and I was dealt with very promptly by the staff. My room was on the 12rh floor and the view across Cardiff from the window was quite spectacular.
The room had a large double bed which was very comfortable. A dressing table with plenty of sockets. 2 armchairs and a table. TV and a hifi system. coffee and tea making facilities ( bit meagre on the biscuits!) and hair dryer- the bathroom was big and offered a bath, separate shower toilet and sink area. Towels were big enough to actually safely walk about in which was lovely!
Wifi was free - also useful.
I didnt use the restaurant but breakfast was well presented and offered a lot of choice- it was also well cooked and tasty.
Booking out was efficient and prompt.

All in all I found this a very comfortable overnight stay maybe a tad noisy as my room backed onto the lifts!

Room Tip: avoid 1201 it backs onto the lifts and you can hear them go up and down most of the night
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear ACole1406,

Thank you for choosing to review our Hotel. We appreciate your comments and I'm sure many other travellers will benefit from them also.

I apologise for any inconvenience casued with the noise and I do hope hope you managed to get a good nights rest. I'm pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed our Hotel, its facilities and the team. I can't promise anything immediately but I will take a look at our biscuit offering for you.

All the best and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Benidorm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in June for 3 nights. The room was very spacious with large combatable bed a seating area and work desk. It was kept very clean and products replenished daily. The breakfast was well worth the price (buffet hot and cold). The hotel spa was very good too, free to hotel guests. A thank you to John on reception who took the time to help me sort out my Wi-Fi issues.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1212 on the 12th floor and it was very quiet and had a view of the city which was...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we're glad you enjoyed the room and your stay. We are lucky to have such spacious rooms and those views you refer to for our guests to enjoy. I hope you get a chance to return in the very near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Went here for a bit of R&R with the wife, an overnight stay with a couple of spa treatments thrown in.
The trip was fantastic and we went home feeling fully refreshed. The staff were great and the food very nice (esp the breakfast).
The room (we upgraded to a superior one) was simply out of this world, with great views of Cardiff and enough room to have a small 5- a-side football game in. Bathroom was beautiful too.
Staff were fabulous and very friendly.
The only thing that they could improve on was that the pool area needed a bit of TLC. The grouting between tiles needed freshening up e.t.c.

All in all a great time.

Room Tip: Get up high
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We're always glad when our leisure guests leave feeling refreshed and relaxed!! Thanks for taking the time to review your stay and it was our pleasure to look after you both. I'm happy to let you know that the pool area it is getting a touch up in just a couple of weeks. It's a shame it wasn't done before you stayed...perhaps you could use it as an excuse to return? If you do we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ruthin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Stayed at the Mercure Cardiff Holland House early June as part of a Choir who were taking part in the Mileenium Centre and I can only say how brilliant the Hotel is. The staff are attentive (not fussy etc) the hotel itself is great (stayed in a corner room on the 12th floor). The evening meal in the restaurant was again a super experience and the breakfasts were also brilliant. Stayed in a superior room and that was certainly an excellent choice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Sean T, Manager at Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
We're so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us and whilst you were attending the event in Cardiff!! Hopefully you will get an opportunity to return in the very near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Deputy General Manager

Been to Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!