“Paradiso Restaurant, Cardiff” 1 of 5 stars

Description: mediterreanian restaurant cafe bar , open 10am to 11.30pm ,
Wales
“Paradiso Restaurant, Cardiff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

If you enjoy a taste of the Meditarranean, do not visit the Paradiso, in Crwys Road Cardiff. After visiting a couple of nights ago, we were grossly disappointed. Our first impression from the outside was that it looked very shabby, but then we were prepared not to read a book by its cover and were expecting to be pleasantly surprised when we entered. But this was definately not the case. To put it bluntly the decor was reminiscent of a 'greasy spoon', all white vinyl and gaudy purple. Nonetheless we were determined to judge the restaurant on its food and ordered our favourite Greek dishes, of Saganaki, and Souvlaki. Nothing about the food changed our mind. The Saganaki consisted of a small plate covered in kitchen foil, containing melted cheese, greasy , oily, and totally tasteless! The Saganaki consisted of cold soggy pitta breads, stuffed with wet lettuce and 3/4 chunks of 'meat.' I use the word 'meat' loosely because it was actually solid lumps of FAT, containing no meat. UGHHHH! When the waiter eventually returned to our table, I told him that we had not enjoyed our meal and pointed out the fatty lumps left on my plate, and watched while he returned to the kitchen and spoke to the 'chef'. The 'chef' eventually came out and apologised, offering to bring another plate of Souvlaki, but I refused because quite frankly I had lost my appetite. While I appreciate we had gone there with a Groupon voucher, surely this is the opportunity for businesses using the voucher scheme to impress those customers who might not have otherwise eaten at their restaurant, in a bid to broaden their customer base! Would not visit this restaurant again with or without a voucher...sorry to the very nice waiter who worked very hard and was very welcoming, pity about the food!

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Must try this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I have been to this restaurant 3 times now and each time the food and service has been excellent. The owner, Bauer, is very friendly and welcomes us as old friends every time. The t-bone steak comes with a large salad, chips and we chose the creamy mushroom sauce to go with it which was truly yummy! All this for £11.90!!! Unbelievable value for money! On top of this, you can take your own wine with no corkage charge, which makes it a truly affordable night out. I don't know how long this will continue, but just ask the question when you book your table. Bauer is immensley proud of his restaurant and the quality of the food served and nothing is too much trouble for him or his staff. We are going there again tonight to celebrate hubby's birthday - can't wait! Mary.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Poor quality food, disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Poor quality. The falafel starter arrived without the dip and pitta that the menu promised. When queried we were told they stopped bringing it as most people didn't like it (!) the vegetarian platter was mainly a large portion of hummus and tzaziki, with a very measly salad not on par with the plentiful Greek salads I am used to, having lived there. It was lacking anything other than limp leaves, and contained maybe half an olive. The falafels with it were very dry and clearly bought in. The 'Kurdish red rice' again was not like any authentic kurdish red rice I have had, and was actually very bland and plastic tasting (suspiciously like microwave rice)
We stuck it out for dessert, and the crepes we ordered were stone cold. My friend did have ice cream on hers which had melted entirely, thus giving the impression that it had once been hot and was left for a while! I did not have ice cream, and mine was still cold. In fairness we were offered a hot replacement but had waited so long that we decided not to bother and by this point just wanted to leave.
Overall, the menu was reasonable and as we had a groupon voucher I am not too bothered at paying for such a dismal meal, but I am very glad I got to try it at this reduced price rather that paying in full. Definitely won't be returning!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
bauer m, Owner at Paradiso Cafe Bar Restaurant, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear Gwyn , as you see I do respond to most of the views we get , and most of the time I like the comments even if they are something missing or something that we really did wrong , and I always make a point out of if and make sure I fix the problem which has been pointed out by the costumers and we go forward for better quality and better service , but sadly this is the first time that I see a review which is completely wrong and I am very disappointed at the comments because it gives a complete wrong ideas to other people that they will read this review , first of all about the mezza plate you did order , the mezza plate was hummus , baba ganoosh , tzaziki , 2 peace off falafel side salad and pita bread , no were in the menu it say that with the mezza plate there will be Greek salad , even though we do not put Greek salad with mezza plat if you would have asked for it we would have put the Greek salad for you free of charge , there was little black olives there true because we put only 2 peace of black olive on the hummus and the baba ganoosh only as a compliment to the dip with a touch of paprika ,now when it comes to Greek salad , Greek salad we make it and it is made from tomatoes ,red onion,cucumber black olives and feta cheese on top , this is Greek salad , secondly when it comes to Kurdish red rice , we are the only restaurant in all united kingdoms that we just introduced Kurdish red rice , no were in this country make Kurdish red rice , and the reason we serve it because I am Kurdish my self , now where and how you have had other red rice that's beats me ,thirdly I am glad you say that you had a crep with ice cream and it was cold , now having crep with ice cream, the crep been freshly mad and hot and putting ICE cream in it , I am sure that will melt it a bit , and for sure it will feel cold, now where is the mistake of that I don't get it ?And I remember very well we offered you to make you fresh one and you said no its fine, and I was very happy with the fact that you and your friend were in our restaurant for 3 hours where I thought you did enjoy the restaurant and the service and the food, because I remember you came early and left the last , but on top of all that may be you had other ideas about our food before you come , but now you kind of have a picture of our menu , I would like to invite you and your friend to our place free of charge and I shall personally advice you on all the menu ,then I would like you to give us a review again ..
All my regards
bauer merza
Owner
Newport
“Great Value! Fantastic Service! Authentic Cuisine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I visited Paradiso yesterday (05/06/2012) after purchasing a voucher via Groupon. We travelled from Newport especially and we were certainly not disappointed. Despite the voucher giving us a starter, main and soft drink each, we could'nt help but try out a few other things from the extensive menu (Mezze Platte, Lemon Chicken) with our starters. I must say the portions were extremely generous, very tasty (NOT AT ALL BLAND!) and I am looking forward to our next visit here. Well done all at Paradiso, we had a great time. We'll be back to try out some other things on your menu for sure. See you soon!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Place to Eat & Drink”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My hubbie and I have visited this restaurant twice now and received a warm and friendly welcome both times. The owner goes out of his way to meet and greet you, ensuring you are always happy with everything. We were really pleased with everything we had to eat and drink. Chocolate lovers must experience the chocolate milkshake and crepe with chocolate sauce and ice cream - delicious. The chicken hamburger and greek chicken pasta are to die for - no small skimpy portions here plus everything is freshly cooked. The value for money is superb even without the Welsh Deals vouchers we used. We cannot wait to go back and would whole heartedly recommend a visit.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
bauer m, Owner at Paradiso Cafe Bar Restaurant, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear MOSmith_79 , it gives me a great pleasure and makes me proud to read such a great words coming from our customers , thank you so ever much for your kind words , and I hope next time when you visit us we can manage and beat what you have experienced so far for even better results , specially that in next 2 weeks I am hopping to bring our new menu out with much more selections , it is important to us to know the exact thoughts of every person which come to us, its you people that we are her to serve and give you the best serves and quality foods,and I hope that up to know in such a short time since we have opened, we have achieved that and I hope we keep it up and go even better , thank you again and hope to see you soon with us ..
All regards