“Ideal Hotel For Cricket Stadium” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Cardiff
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Ideal Hotel For Cricket Stadium”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Nice hotel in the centre of Cardiff, ideal for visiting the cricket stadium and castle. Car park very good. Near the centre of Cardiff for shopping. The room was good with all the normal facilities. We would stay at this hotel again when visiting Cardiff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Cardiff, and I am glad you found all our facilities and location to your liking.

We are situated in a great spot near the cricket ground, just a short stroll through the park, and we hope to see you return next time you attend a match there.

best regards

Richard Platts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Birmingham Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I recently took a friends daughter to Cardiff for a university open day. As the start was early we stayed at the Holiday Inn the night before. There are parking facilities at a very reasonable day rate (£10 for 24 hours). The view from the window of Cardiff castle grounds was lovely.The room was clean and quiet. We were within easy walking distance of a number of restaurants, the university and the shopping center. There was an excellent choice for breakfast and the staff were all helpful and pleasant. At £98 for a twin room I thought this was good value for money and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us in Cardiff when visiting the University recently.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, and I do hope we have the pleasure of looking after you again if you have the need to stay in the city.

Best wishes to your daughters friend with her chosen University.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stay at this hotel quite often as work books all my hotels but i can assure i will never return again to this place and will be advising the travel team not to use this hotel any other members of my staff. Normally the service in this hotel is fantastic but the rude nature of the so call night manager has totally put me off. I arrived in the hotel the hotel at around 1145 one night as my train had been delayed getting into cardiff. I hadn't eaten all day so just wanted to get in and have a quick bite to eat before bed. Now this is when all the problems started. When i checked in i asked if i cold get a drink and a sandwich and just relax in the bar before heading up to bed but i was told "No you can't eat or drink in the bar due to the licensing policy and that i need to call down and order via room service" So i done this and just thought that their food and drink at night had to go through a different person. When i pressed the room service button on the phone i ended up speaking to the same man who checked me in. So i decided to order anyway and was told that room service would take around about 45 minutes.This totally shocked me as from what i saw when i checked in it was pretty quite. I then asked if i could order and pick the food and drink up from reception and eat it in the bar again i was told no so i asked if it was brought to my room could i bring it down and again i was quite rudely told No it's against the licensing policy. At this point i couldn't really be bothered to argue so i asked to speak to a manger and the man on the phone informed me he was the night manager and he was in charge of the hotel. I used to work in the licensed trade not so long ago and i find it very hard to believe that the council have imposed a licensing condition of not being able to eat or drink in the hotel bar. The next day on my return to the hotel i went and spoke to another gentleman on the front desk to inquire about this and he seemed genuinely shocked that i couldn't have something to eat in the bar the night previous. We then ended up speaking to the other young lady working with him and they both agreed that i should have been allowed to eat and even said it was a company policy to allow people to have any menu anywhere. They said they would speak to the reception manager about this. It's just a shame that the information the afternoon staff had wasn't passed onto the night staff about an menu.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am so sorry at the way one of my team has acted, and can assure you in no way this is how we wish any of our guests to be treated.

There is no such policy, and I am mystified at the comments made to you, but please have my assurances we will be taking up this matter with all individual(s) concerned, to ensure they are totally aligned with the level of customer service you should expect, and that the rest of our team delivers.

I have sent a personal message via Trip Advisor asking please for you to contact me to assist in rectifying this situation, and to offer my apologies in person.

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I think this is probably our 8th visit since 2001 each year we are always amazed at the attractions near the hotel check in was problem free. The first night we used so points for a free night added on to paying guest we never thought about checking out even though we were staying in the same room we later found out we probably should have done. on the system our room were in was showing up as empty you can guess what's coming next indeed it was 0100 when a chap entered our room just checked in don't know who was more surprised the chap who just booked us or the poor sole on reception who booked him in. No real harm done it makes a change from the fire alarm going off a midnight silly o'clock I have a felling I have been overcharged for the room will hopefully get to the bottom of it big thanks to Justin for always being cheerful and of course the rest of the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments, and I was glad to learn that overall you had a good stay with us.

I am concerned naturally about the mix ups and wish to ensure these are now rectified.

I have sent a message to you via Trip Advisor, asking for contact so I may look at these personally for you.

Thank you for your continued custom and I look forward to speaking soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night at this hotel.
Great location, good breakfast, good bar prices. Have to say though the shower was very poor and water came out in various directions.
Car park seemed quite expensive, but again for a city centre is probably about right.
Would I stay again? Yes I would

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review, and I am glad you had a good stay with us.

I am sorry about the water pressure in your shower, I have sent you a message via Tripadvisor, in order to gain some more details to ensure that we have rectified this problem.

I appreciate your feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

kind regards

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great hotel in the centre of Cardiff, staff are very friendly, rooms are great, only downside is no swimming pool. We stayed here for 2 nights in June 2013, 2 adults 2 under 11 year olds in a family room.

PROS - close to DR WHO exhibition and experience
- close to Cardiff Bay
- friendly staff

CONS - No swimming pool
- Service in the dining room in the evening is very slow

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and choosing to stay with us.

Your constructive comments are really appreciated, as we may not get it right every time, and it is important to learn from our guest experiences.

I am glad overall you had a great stay, and I do hope that you visit again soon to this fabulous Capital of Wales.

kind regards

Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had a very pleasant stay at this hotel, would definately recommend.Staff friendly, breakfast good the young waiter very obliging.Room was spacious on top floor overlooking the river.Handy for shopping or the castle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
It sounds like we have looked after you really well, and if you would definitely stay again, then I can ask no more.

Your comments are much appreciated, thank you for taking the time, and also for choosing to stay with us.

Richard Platts

Been to Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre? Share your experiences!