“Cheap and handy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Cheap and handy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel was very good value casting only £28 for the night. The location was ideal as we were going to a concert at the Arena. Receptionist very helpful and apologetic about the noise from the car park outside. The music did stop at 11pm so was fine.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear 'Linda4688', thank you very much for your review. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay but was sorry to hear about the noise from the outside. I will speak to them directly regarding playing music at this level. Kind Regards, Jacek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here to go to a show at the Cardiff Motorpoint arena, we arrive on Sunday afternnon. This venue is in a great location....we could see the tour busses leaving the rear of the arena from our room. The hotel is central for shopping, eing just a 3 or 4 minute walk from the centre.

The room itself was clean. It had all the neccesities for a nights stay.

The only negative was the 'bar' next door. This had very!!!! loud music from lunchtime on Sunday. This could be heard in the room, and across the road. We enquired at reception, and were told nothing could be done....'noise abatement' might help?
To be fair though we were lucky and could only hear it in the corridor...if we were in the rooms closer, i am sure we would have asked to move.

I would definately stay here again as the location is great...although i would be worried where in the hotel i would be placed

Room Tip: Be careful...some rooms are on the right hand side of the hotel...these will be noisy due to the ...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear 'silvermanson' thanks for leaving your thoughts on here. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Sorry to hear about the noise from the bar next door to us. We work together on this, so they do not play the music during the night. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Burford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Good central location close to Motorpoint Arena and St.Davids Shopping Centre and both Central and Queen Street Railway Stations, all a short walk away. Plenty of eating out options and parking is available at NCP; directly opposite Hotel. We booked the Hotel because of its proximity to the Motorpoint Arena for a Concert.

The Ibis is very comfortable and the Staff are pleasant and helpful. Our only problem was with the self - serve breakfast which was not well supervised and coordinated, resulting in delays replacing items which had run out and consequent cooling of items already selected. Quality of the food was good, however.

Room Tip: Choose one on upper levels if you do not wish to have a view of a wall.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear 'Tom B'. Thank you very much for taking your time and writing this review. I am glad that your stay was enjoyable but was sorry to hear that the breakfast experience did not meet your expectations. I will speak to the Team on duty in person. Kind Regards, Jacek
Melksham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at the Ibis for 2 nights. weekend away for our wedding anniversary. Whilst the IBIS chains do not have the most luxurious hotels they are ceheap and cheerful and this one was no exception. You know what you are getting with an IBIS so no surprises and we tend to select this chain for that reason. The staff at the hotel were very pleasant and friendly and the bar area had a nice atmosphere ( normally we find them a bit clinical). The new beds are definately an improvement and were very comfortable.. Location was terrific for the city centre and especially for the Motorpoint where we went to a gig on the sunday night.
All in all I have nothing negative to say.

Room Tip: we were on 2nd floor overlooking the back of the motorpoint, despite the stage set being unloaded it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 'Jackie M'. Many thanks for your feedback and kind words. It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our NEW IBIS SWEET BED!! Me and my Team are looking forward to receiving you in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Rhondda, S Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice hotel excellent location. Right behind the CIA/Motorpoint and you can park in NCP carpark around the corner for £5 for up to 24hrs. We had room only, room was spacious clean and the bathroom was like a pod, very clean and practical. Check in was easy and staff friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear 'Kim S', thank you for your feedback. I am happy that your stay was enjoyable and me and my Team look forward to receiving you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at the Ibis Central for a few days while in Cardiff for a conference. The room was clean and spacious at a very reasonable price. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - and I think that makes a real difference when you're travelling. I opted for the buffet breakfast and there was plenty of choice on offer. I could walk just about anywhere I needed to go from this location, so it was extremely convenient. On the downside, I was on Floor 2, so the train line was pretty much level with my window - a bit disconcerting! The towels could have been fresher. I had a stained one to begin with and they just smelt a bit musty. And on the weekend the hotel got a bit rowdy with a party crowd.
My biggest criticism is the lack of wifi. I was working, so I needed internet access. Thankfully, I brought my laptop and the reception staff gave me a cable to hook this up to the digital TV box, but this wasn't long enough to be near a powerpoint. At about £9 for 24 hours, this access isn't cheap either. If I'd only had my iPad with me, I would have been in big trouble.
I think this hotel is probably good for holiday accommodation, but for a work trip, this lack of wireless makes life pretty complicated.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear 'agent4077', thank you very much for taking your time and writing your review on here. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Please note that we are working on providing FREE WI FI for our guests and that should be available in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Erskine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Hotel is right across the road from the Motorpoint Arena. 2 mins walk from Queen Street station. Five minute walk from centre. Room was clean with a comfortable bed. I asked for another pillow and was given one immediately. Room looked onto the railway line but when window was closed you didn't hear anything. Room was soundproofed which was great since there was a group of girls along corridor who had music blaring and lots of noise but once I closed my door I couldn't hear anything. Staff were very pleasant. No parking at hotel. I was directed to multi storey about 5 minutes away. Charge was £5 per 24 hours which was very reasonable. Didn't sample any food at the hotel as there are stacks of cafes, bars and restaurants in the vicinity. Would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear 'fanjita', many thanks for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Been to Ibis Cardiff? Share your experiences!