“Get what you pay for...” 4 of 5 stars

Ibis Cardiff
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Churchill Way, Cardiff CF10 2HA, Wales   |
Ranked #32 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Cwmbran, Wales, United Kingdom
“Get what you pay for...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here 22nd December and found the staff friendly room basic but clean. The cost was 36.90 which was extremly reasonable for the service.

Would stay again.

Only fault was the room smelt like a dog had been staying there at some point....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear 'Kate W', thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with Ibis Cardiff Centre hotel. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and the cost extremaly resonable. I was sorry to hear that the smell was not ok. Please note that we do have 24 reception service that and our staff are happy to assist you anytime day or night. Kind Regards, Jacek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Hotel is in a good location if your travelling by foot!
Central station is 11 mins walk away (less if your fit ? chuckle !!)
On arriving we warmly welcomed by the staff and checkin was a breeze ...
Room is a good size especially for a budget rate, and the bathroom was one of those ready made modern cubicles, so it's a wet room thats easy to maintain and perfect for the hotel industry. So the room was all clean and tidy !!
Town shops are literally 3 minutes walk away.
Good location for the theatre, or a bit of clubbing but far enough away from the main clubs (10 mins walk) to be able to get a good nights sleep.
Breakfast is the buffet kind £7.50 each which we didn't have this time as we opted for the Full English at the Wetherspoons next to the Railway station which was actually cheaper ....
To sum it up you won't go far wrong at this hotel for couples, buisness or family on a budget!

Room Tip: All rooms are fine ....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear 'Johnnythewindowman', thank you very much for taking your time and leaving your feedback on here. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff warm and efficient and the room to be clean and tidy. We all hope to see you back in the future, Kind Regards, Jacek
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The room was alright, with a very acceptable bed. Although I had asked for a quiet room, I slept on the side where the railway was. Not an experience to repeat: screeching wagons until 1AM and from 6AM. The last night was marred by some very noisy customers one floor below. I must really credit the nightguard, though, who took care of the problem. The same must be said for the lady in the lobby the following morning (Amalie?), who was very polite and handled this in a way that was satisfactory. The hotel can't be blamed for a noisy guest and these two members of staff made it an experience that made the best out a bad situation. If I were their manager, I would give these two people a raise for handling the reputation of the hotel so well.

Room Tip: I would go for a room at the front, judging from my experience with the train side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear 'Vintiek', thank you very much for your comments. I am happy that you found our staff providing good service. But I was sorry to hear that it was too noisy. Unfortunately we are situated between the railway and the main city road. Kind Regards, Jacek
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We choose the ibis because we were traveling with our pet, and they charged us an extra £10 for the night for our dog so that was good, receptionist was fabulous and helpful we found great places to check out because of her.

The only negative is really the rooms not just at this ibis but all ibis there so small & quite dated. I wouldnt stay at an ibis hotel long term but great when we just needed a place to crash.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 'Cocoleah', many thanks for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found our receptionist to be fabulous and helpful. I am sorry that you did not like our rooms though. Kind Regards, Jacek
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We always use an ibis in most cities as we know how clean and friendly the staff are. The rooms are always clean and for the price we pay, you can't go wrong. There is an NCP walking distance and for £5 for 24hrs it's great value. However, there seems to be an issue with the drains in this hotel and the staff know about it. Our room on the first floor really smelt when we first go in there but we thought it might go away after our evening out. No such luck we came back at 10pm and the room stank. So we called reception and told them and within and instant we got out room changed to the lower floor. Unfortunately once we flushed the toilet it started to to smell again. Bit disappointed but for £30 a night it was so cheap that we shut the bathroom door and chose to ignore it. Bit of a shame. I think it just Cardiff that has the problem as we have never had an issue with other Ibis hotels.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear 'Neetski1', thank you for leaving your thoughts on here. I am happy that you found our hotel to be good value for money. I was sorry to learn about the smell from the drains. I will check this with my maintenance team. Many thanks for this information. Kind Regards, Jacek
Banbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Excellant receptionist ( Spanish I think ). Room was clean and functional at a good price but as next to the train line with trains thundering past all night it was very impossible to sleep. However, when I complained next morning I was advised that if I book again to ask for a room at the front ( should have told me that before ! ).

Room Tip: Book a room away from the train lines.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear 'Sharon d', many thanks for taking the time and writing this review. I am happy that you fount our receptionist to be excellent and rooms to be functional. I am sorry to hear that there was noise from the railway all night. I will double check that as they normally do not run at night - at least never have been until this review. Many thanks for this information. Kind Regards, Jacek

Been to Ibis Cardiff? Share your experiences!