“Great value city centre hotel” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN PLUS Maldron Hotel Cardiff
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Mary Street, Cardiff CF10 1GD, Wales (City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Rural Sussex
“Great value city centre hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

When booking a city centre hotel, it is usual to find quite an impersonal service, however, this may be one of the exceptions to the rule. The staff were very helpful despite the hotel being packed with both guests & visitors to the many pre Christmas parties.

One important point was how quiet the hotel was, despite the above and the location.

Very well positioned for the sights & shops with a very nice breakfast included. It was a pity the meal we had in the hotel restaurant didn't live up to rest of the place.

Room Tip: higher floors are probably quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Maldron Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear GandTRuralSussex,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and we were able to break the normal city stereotype. Our team pride themselves on their customer service and I am pleased you experienced this first hand.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We had a deal for a two night break which for a very reasonable cost for bed and breakfast also included a welcome cocktail and Welsh cream tea. The hotel is very close to the railway station but we could not hear any trains from our 7th floor room. While the room very similar to that in a Premier Inn etc., it was clean and comfortable, if a little small. However it was the service that stood out from the friendly, helpful staff. We enjoyed our free cocktail in the bar and the next day I enquired about the cream tea and was told it comprised of sandwiches, cakes and scones. As we were eating out that evening I asked if I could just have tea and scones and was pleasantly surprised to find that the scones were home made and freshly baked. My husband didn't come down for tea but as I could not eat the six mini scones myself I asked if I could take the remainder up to the room and the waiter offered to carry them for me. The plate there were served on had a flower motif, which on investigation was comprised of jam outlined in chocolate!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jan81,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found the service to be excellent. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am delighted you experienced this first hand.

I hope I can welcome you back in the New Year.

Rochdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Again I am a Best Western fan, this is superbly located right next to the station and right next to all the bars and restaurants. The hotel is modern and well furnished and clean. breakfast is buffet type and just what you need if you did not do "solids" the night before. Imagine if you were here for an event at the millennium stadium you could not get any more convenient place, Highly recommend it and this is my third stay and all the rooms are great

Room Tip: They all have views some better than others, but not really important
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear BillCRochdale,

Thank you for your superb review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your loyalty to our hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards,
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The family rooms are too small and the beds are uncomfortable, the rooms do not have anywhere to sit unless you sit on the beds. The rooms are more suited to a single not even a double. Luckily we were only staying one night as we only got 2 hours sleep. due to noisy inconsiderate guests and the poor beds. The staff were advised of the problems with other guests but seemed disinterested.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

MaldronHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Maldron Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Anon823,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us. As a City Centre Hotel, at weekends we do, for time to time, experience noise from other guests on corridors. We have a proactive security team on site to address these very issues when they occur. Had this matter been highlighted to them on the evening our team would have been happy to address this promptly, ensuring the remainder of your stay was as peaceful as possible.

If you would like to discuss this matter future I would be delighted to speak to you directly.
Regards,
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

this hotel is superbly located for everything central to cardiff - station, shops and millenium stadium are all within a stones throw.
parking as with all central Cardiff hotels costs extra nad is not "on site", however don't let this put you off.
The room was pristine and comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent.
my only slight criticism (and the reason I didn't give it 5/5) was that it, like so many places, lacks personality - no individual touches to make it different from any other very good hotel.
I would though highly recomend and stay there again without a moment's thought.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Maldron Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Lisa B,

I appreciate your recommendation and your kind comments on Tripadvisor. As a 3 star hotel we rely on our staff to offer the warmth and personality needed for our city center welcome. I am pleased you found the team to be helpful and friendly.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back on your return trip to Cardiff.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a midweek visit to Cardiff and will definitely return here!
Check-in was swift and easy, receptionist very polite and efficient.
Room was clean, bedding crisp and towels fluffy.
Buffet-style breakfast both continental and "full English' was tasty and plentiful - and "Samantha" the waitress was a breath of fresh air!! So polite and helpful, not just to us but to all the guests that were there!!
This hotel is perfect for the centre of Cardiff and all it has to offer, we parked in the NCP opposite but it is just a 3 min walk from the station.
Will return and will recommend - the staff are an asset to the manager!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eleri,

Thank you for your generous review on tripavdisor. Samantha is an asset to the team and I am delighted you experienced her excellent customer service first hand. I will pass on your kind comments to both Samantha and her line manager.

I hope I can welcome you back in the near future.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Perfect location - handy for station and restaurants. A Wetherspoon pub next door. Great help-yourself cooked breakfasts. My room was immaculately clean, only problem (like in about half of all British hotels) was no detachable shower head. Are they afraid we're going to drop them and crack the shower tray?

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear devon_curryholic,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards,
Deputy General Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Maldron Hotel Cardiff? Share your experiences!