“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Scotland
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Pleasant hotel in convenient location for bay area and city centre. Parking expensive. Noisy groups of delegates waiting in area outside restaurant at breakfast time on some days. Would use again for business or pleasure trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you found the Novotel Cardiff Centre a 'pleasant hotel' and that you intend to return for another visit.

I hope that i can welcome you both back again soon for an even more enjoyable stay.

Chris Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

LOCATION - Would have preferred a more central location personally, even though it is only a 10 minute walk into the shopping centre, the walk there itself is not the nicest, via construction sites and over a railway bridge etc.

ARRIVAL - Exterior, the hotel has originated from what i think used to be an old warehouse & has been cleverly converted and added to with modern architecture into a lovely looking hotel, i love the mix of the old & new. The interior is again very modern and combines beautifully in the restaurant area with the exposed brickwork of the original building etc. Also available in the reception area are 2 apple imacs which is free to use and there is also an xbox for any gamers that get withdrawal symptoms whilst on holiday.

ROOM- Our room (444) was accessed via modern glass lift, our room was airy, clean & had all the usual hotel comforts (tv..tea & coffee etc) as well as a safe, iron, hairdryer and a fully stocked mini-bar. As a family of 4, the sofa bed was ready made up for us on arrival which sometimes can limit the space in a room but am pleased to say that in our room it didnt. The only small gripe I had about the sofabed is that I would have preferred to have a quilt on there as opposed to just a sheet & a blanket. The bathroom was spacious, modern and clean and there were plenty of towels provided and a few toiletries.

FOOD- Breakfast was served between 7am & 12pm which i think must be the weekend timings. This is the first time for me to stay at a hotel where you can totally relax in the morning with no rushing to make sure you make the breakfast time. We ventured down to breakfast at 11am and there was plenty of everything available to us ..full english options, danish pastries and croissants, toast, fresh fruit, yogurts, juice, tea/coffee (which is brought to you by the waiter) and all laid out nicely with attention to detail by the restaurant/kitchen staff (even the bacon had been presented neatly on the hotplate)

SPA FACILITIES - A great sized swimming pool, a nice bubbly jacuzzi, hot steam room & sauna, although note that children can only use the pool up until 7pm ..and towels are available from reception so no need to worry about packing extras. There is also a small gym here but we didnt use these so I cant comment, however they did look like they had pretty much all the usual equipment.

PARKING - As with most hotels these days unfortunately there is a charge to park your car overnight and at the Novotel we paid £9 for the overnight charge which is payable at reception.

OVERALL-Had a fantastic here with no complaints, and all the staff we encountered were friendly, polite and very helpful. I would happily recommend this hotel and I would happily stay here again if I couldnt get a hotel slightly closer to the shopping centre, but thats just me slightly lazy & picky and no reflection on the hotel which all in all is lovely ;-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.

I'm delighted that your family had an enjoyable stay and were pleased with the services and facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I hope that i can welcome you all back again very soon.

Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Having previously stayed at Novotel in London, Reading & Sheffield I had absolutely no hesitation in booking at Novotel Cardiff for Easter. The room was offered on Trivago for for £84 but was only £72 on the A-Club (Novotel) website for a double room with sofa bed which was approximately half what the Cardiff Hilton (my first choice) were asking.

I have to admit if you don't know Cardiff it isn't all that straight forward to find this property - even using google / apple maps. Obviously this isn't the fault of the hotel, just that the roads around this part of town are poorly sign posted & one constantly has to drive away from where you want to go in order to actually get there...

Good - Price was excellent, check in was effortless & fast, staff were polite & helpful & the room was spacious & comfortable. I was awake at 5am & when I went to the bar was able to buy an excellent coffee from a very polite & helpful young man which was rather unexpected.

Average - The location is average at best. It is a good 10 minute walk to the centre of town & not a pleasant walk at that. One has to walk along a dual carriage way past building sites & under a dark bridge to get to 'civilisation'. The public areas of the hotel & general decor were tired & in need of an update / redecoration. Finally the sofa bed was not made up. When I asked at reception they said it was to give guests extra room, but they would instruct housekeeping to make the bed up - this never happened. In fairness, when I later asked for 2 extra pillows they were delivered to the room within 5 minutes.

Bad - Breakfast. I wouldn't have normally bothered but noticing the location of the hotel & being offered breakfast for 2 adults & a child for £20 (expensive I know, but for a hotel not too bad) I decided to book breakfast. Well, it was awful - buffet style food with scrambled eggs like rubber, overcooked fried egg swimming in grease, dried overcooked mushroom & poor quality bacon & sausages. I ended having beans on toast! Also my coffee was luke warm & bitter & it took 20 minutes to get a pot of tea to replace it. It seemed to me that staff had been instructed to serve tables once & not return unless to clear up the (full) plates.

If you want somewhere cheap to stay in Cardiff & are not too concerned about location this is for you (as long as you give breakfast a miss). Personally I wouldn't rush back here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am delighted that you found the staff polite and helpful and that you check-in and room were to your satisfaction. I note your comments regarding location and depending on the purpose of your visit to Cardiff, we receive many positive reviews based on the convenience of the location of the hotel. I will discuss your additional comments with the Head Chef and will duly investigate.

Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

At first the location didn't seem ideal, but the hotel is smack-bang between the Bay and City Centre, so you don't have to trek from one to the other from your hotel.

Although the service was good, we felt the hotel was more of a 3* than 4*. There were lots of little things that we felt forfeited the rating of 4*. Our air conditioning didn't seem to be working, so our room temperature was about 30 degrees plus the whole time, which wasn't especially welcome during the end of March. One of the bath towels was ripped, and there weren't all the toiletries available that I had expected.

However, the pool was lovely, and so was breakfast. They even provided soya milk for guests, which I thought was excellent.

It was perfectly pleasant for what we paid. We were a little disappointed, but it didn't really matter in light of the rest of our trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay, namely the level of service, the leisure facilities and that the selection at breakfast met to your satisfaction.

I have noted your additional comments and will discuss with our Management Team.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you both back again and to to provide you with an excellent stay.

Kenilworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed here twice recently. My rooms have been comfortable, spacious and clean. The staff are lovely. The restaurant is of a high quality and very good value. Even though there is a charge for car parking, it does not make the hotel expensive so I wouldn't call that an issue. My only issue is paying £9.99 for internet service - so I just didn't - which was not a bad thing as it meant I didn't work late into the evening :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay and that you found the Novotel Cardiff Centre to be 'great value' with 'great staff'.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the team and to hopefully welcome you back again very soon.

Pontypridd, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Short walk from Cardiff Central, service was very good, clean rooms and good breakfast. Free pool, gym and sauna and broadband was free during the week for us in the executive room.
Wasn't very impressed with the room, seems that the only difference between the executive room and the double room was the nespresso machine and the iPod dock, to which there is no MP3 jack so if you don't have an iPhone/iPod it is pretty redundant.
For young couples I don't think that this is the best hotel to go to, although we enjoyed ourselves here we got the general feeling that we weren't welcome (by other guests not the hotel staff) as there were a lot of guests on (I'm guessing) business trips or weekends away, and it seemed like nobody had ever seen a pregnant person before, the random staring coupled with confused facial expressions made me feel uneasy (of course not the hotels fault, just a general comment).
Hotel staff were friendly, polite and willing to help you at all times. A nice hotel to cross of the Cardiff hotels list unsure whether I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased that your 'enjoyed the stay' at Novotel Cardiff Centre and that you found the service 'very good', clean rooms and a good breakfast.

I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you both back again for an even better stay.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great location (although parking is extra), 10mins to centre and 10 - 15mins to bay. Pool and gym was very clean with super jacuzzi. Breakfast selection and quality was also first class. All in all, a very enjoyable trip. We paid just over 70 quid per night and got upgraded to an executive room .... Great value

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Cardiff Centre and pleased that you were happy with the location, leisure facilities, breakfast and value for money.

I hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Chris Jones

Been to Novotel Cardiff Centre? Share your experiences!