“Not good” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

You added St. Mellons Hotel to your Saves list
St. Mellons Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castleton, Cardiff CF3 2XR, Wales (Formerly BEST WESTERN St. Mellons Hotel)   |
Ranked #37 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Had wedding here lovely location and bridal room but some of the staff were unhappy and off hand we feelt as if we were being kicked out of our room due to cleaners banging hoover against door also my wife is a vegetarian and the food option was very poor for her. Also my wife was leaving holding her very expensive wedding gown and went to walk out of the main doors I stopped her from walking threw as there were two men painting outside the receptionist didn't even say to my wife don't use that exit as there is wet paint so if I wasn't with her her dress would have been ruined

• Stayed June 2013
Philip T, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Zack

I was really surprised to read your comments following your wedding for 6 held last week . Particularly so as you, your new wife and guests thanked the staff so profusely at the time and praised the food and service.
The painters certainly seem to have upset you, for which I can only offer my sincerely apologies.
Check out time from the rooms is nominally 11am, however we are happy to accommodate any requests for late departures had you made your wishes known. We also are happy to accommodate any early arrivals where possible as you know, having made your rooms available for your 1pm arrival.

Thanks for bringing your comments to my attention.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Initial impression is of a fine grand house, with high ceilings and excellent original features. However as our stay evolved the fabric of the building showed signs of needing a good overhaul by a maintenance team.

It would be easy to say a big refit would be beneficial, but a lot could be achieved by resolving petty issues like poorly fitting lampshades on the bedside table, which had very awkward switches. The guttering was blocked or leaking outside our window which resulted in an annoying dripping sound through a Welsh night of heavy rain. Radiators needed bleeding to allow air to be purged and then they would provide a full output from the panel.

All very petty, but a sign of accumulated neglect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mervyn

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at St. Mellons. Constructive feedback such as this is always welcome as it helps us improve matters further.

As I write the building is undergoing repainting and the issues you raised regarding the radiators have been dealt with.
Thanks once again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Have just attended a fabulous wedding at the hotel. Okay it does need some refurb but was clean and welcoming and being and old building some things are inevitable but it was all inkeeping with the style of the building. Staff were polite courteous and well trained. All staff couldn't do enough very welcoming. Food was great too, tasty and well cooked every meal so. Can't understand negative reviews

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Tracey

Thanks for your kind words following the wedding you attended at the hotel. We cater for many weddings from 4 to 160 people and our service and guest experience is invariable well received.

I was delighted to read that you had a great time- maybe next time join us for a relaxing spa break?

North Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business, and whilst driving down the drive, thought I'd chosen well. The building is nice from the front, but if you park at the side you can see just how much work is required.
My check in was warm and welcoming and efficient. My room overlooked the front, so a great view. The room itself was large, but the decor is terribly dated, and the television is the size of a postage stamp. The bathroom again was spacious, but very... Peach.
I ordered room service, it was as described, although the chicken clearly had been nuked in a microwave... Not the best, but the fish and chips hit the spot.
My bed was comfy, the pillows ok.
Checkout was fast - but someone needs to tell the lady that smiling shouldn't be an optional extra, and that she boarded on rude.
Overall vale for money it's ok, if you get a good rate. I wouldn't pay over £60 per night

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sion

Thank you for your welcome feedback following your recent stay. It's only by receiving such information that we can improve the guest experience at St. Mellons.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on business in the near future- check our web site for the very best rates available.

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the St Mellons hotel last night. First impressions were very good and we arrived at reception to book in. I had already booked on-line for 3 rooms. First of all they couldn''t find all the paperwork, then they couldn't find our key. I was given paperwork for room 201 but a key for room 36. We went to the bar and ordered drinks and put them on the room, but was told that we hadn't been booked in properly. Later in the evening we were approached and told that we should have paid when we booked in so we paid straight away. The staff in the bar and leisure centre were very helpfull although we did have to wait to be served as they seemed to be short staffed. We had an outside room which was ok as the weather was good but would have been a problem in bad weather. In 2 of the three rooms the alarms went off one at 12.01am and one at 6am, I was asked if everything in the room was ok and I said that we only had one bath towel and I was then told that the other one was in a drawer, I don't think I have ever been to a hotel where one towel is in the bathroom and the other is in a drawer. It was definitely an experience, not sure if I would do it again but the price was reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nigel

Thank you for your review following your stay at ST. Mellons
Please accept my apologies for the confusion over your arrival paperwork- I'm glad we were able to resolve matters reasonably swiftly.
Regarding the towels, as we explained, there are always spare sets of towels in the drawer as outlined in the Guest Service Directory.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Rugby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Colleagues had slated this place: I actually found it rather nice, despite the AWFUL driveway (badly affected by the cold winter, to be kind). I am not normally a fan of "garden rooms" and having to brave the elements to get one's meals etc, but this was quiet, spacious, clean, and WARM!!!! With the weather w have been having, this was a definite plus. Also, the TV was very good, with excellent radio reception (R4 in the morning). A very roomy and well equipped bathroom was another plus, as was the better than average lighting all round. Being able to park immediately outside also made loading and unloading one's belongings so much easier. Dinner very good indeed, breakfast rather less so: bacon very poor, sausages better. Bread average (toast); rolls at breakfast were either previous day's or had been frozen. Coffee poor. The first day, it took nearly 20 minutes to get a glass of water to take with my pills (I cannot drink fruit juice). Reception was efficient and friendly both in and out. Overall, the experience was let down most by the breakfast. It would help if the rather monosyllabic man taking the orders paid a little more attention to his personal hygiene: not what one wants first thing in the morning. I also had to ask the very efficient girl doing the serving to correct a couple of things he had omitted. Shame. this knocked it back from a 4 to a 3, it was so poor. Lastly, as it was a late booking, I was charged 25% extra for the first night over the normal rate: this is cheeky!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Harrow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

On arrival booking in was straight forward, welcoming and proffesional. The pet friendly chalet was clean well laid out and perfect for my wife and our two dogs.
At evening meal the staff could not be helpfull enough, my wife has various allergies and is vergitarian but the staff took this in their stride and between them and the chef an excellent meal was prepared. Service was fantastic throughout the stay and to finish it off breakfast and service was second to none.

Look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The pet friendly rooms are to the side of the hotel as pets are not allowed inside however the chale...