“Nice little find” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added St. Mellons Hotel to your Saves list
St. Mellons Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castleton, Cardiff CF3 2XR, Wales (Formerly BEST WESTERN St. Mellons Hotel)   |
Ranked #41 of 80 Hotels in Cardiff
Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Nice little find”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

In it's prime years, this place was probably fantastic. As it is today, it was still a nice little find on short notice. We booked a triple room and it was set up accordingly. The staff members were friendly. The gardens and golf club around make for nice scenery and quiet, relaxing atmosphere. Hotel is a little drive from Cardiff, but worth the travel in a car for the quietness. We also used the pool, spa, and sauna during our stay- no complaints there either. All you can eat breakfast served in a beautiful room. We stayed in one of the garden rooms--very quiet (except the last guest had the alarm set for midnight which woke us all up that night!) All in all, very good value. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Garden room 30 on the very end--very quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Newport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night over the weekend. We really enjoyed our stay which included bed and breakfast. The leisure facilities were lovely and the room was comfortable. The few hotel staff we met seemed pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and freshly cooked. In general, we agreed the hotel could do with some renovations but all in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here with my husband just for an overnight break. The décor keeps in line with the age of the hotel. The room was a of generous size and was very clean and well maintained. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The grounds were outstanding. Just wish we had time to use the spa facilities but we did get to have a look around the pool looked very inviting. We did not eat in the hotel so could not comment on the food. Will more than definitely visit again,

Room Tip: We staying in room 101 which was at the end of the corridor we found it to be quiet clean and of a g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My family and I booked a table for a Santa Sunday Lunch on the 19th December 2012. We enjoyed pre-lunch drinks in a delightful lounge, elegantle decorated with a the Christmas decorations and enjoyed the warmth of a lovel open fire.

We then went into the Llanarthen restaurant and were welcomed with warmth and friendliness by all the staff. The foor was beautifully presented,and cooked to perfection.

The highlight of the day was a visit from Father Christmas, who entertained the children as they all sat around yet again another open fire and sang Christmas carols and were duly awarded with a gift.

I have no hesitation in recommending this lovely hotel, set in beautiful surroundings, with a lovely team of people to look after you, yes the hotel is in need of renovation, but in someway this added to the ambience of the hotel. It definitely beats all those modern hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Whilst being a member of the leasure facilities for 8 months everything started off fine
But the cracks started to show quickly;

Sauna room seating broken for months
Pool is consistently freezing
Jacuzzi is up and down with its temperature
Changing rooms often dirty and un-monitored
Showers broken since we started our membership

Now all these problems could be overlooked u might think if the management were dealing with them , but NO
The quality of a business shows not when the "good times roll", but when things go wrong, and it's how that business deals with adversity and complaints and dissatisfied customers

All we feel st Mellon management do is say things are going to be fixed and they never are
The fob u off and lie about maintenance occurring and have no interest in saving or caring for their customers

All we were told to do is

" go away for a couple of months and come back when the jobs are finished" - food and beverage duty manager- Steve

The general manager could only reply with we don't have the budget to deal with these problems and there is no way we can give u any grace with urban payments or refunds

I know for a fact that the law states that if a company provides a service and cannot fulfill it's obligation , not only are u entitled to a refund but compensation also

We also tried to speak to the regional manager , and spoke to his secretary instead . She said he would phone us back
That was three weeks ago were still waiting for his call

So overall not a great experience .

Everything's fine if u DON'T complain

Good luck

• Stayed January 2013
Philip T, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I'm sorry that you have not been satisfied by my responses to date and our telephone conversation and I regret that you have found it necessary to air your views on this forum rather than meet with me personally. As I explained, the issue with pool temperature was resolved in December as soon as replacement parts were sourced. It is maintained at a constant 30 degrees- a requirement of our contract with the children’s swimming classes. Similarly, the issue with the showers in the gents have been addressed, as you know and the one outstanding shower issue in the ladies will be resolved on 5th February by our contractors. I'm sorry that these repairs have taken longer than you, and indeed we, would like but it is often the case than parts are nor readily available and have to be ordered. Please be assured, we welcome constructive feedback as it is our desire to make the club a venue which you can full enjoy and participate in

Again, I reiterate my invitation to meet at your convenience to discuss your concerns.
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed for four nights in Sept 2012. This was our third stay. We were allocated a lovely room on the ground floor. Would not stay in a garden room. The break was mixing work and pleasure. Good value for money and within easy reach to Cardiff. The breakfast was o.k. Had dinner one evening but my husband could have eaten another!!!!!. The staff were very helpfull and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room inside the hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Philip T, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Annwyl Cymraes,

Mae'n dda i weld fod Cymru Cymraeg yma hefyd!

Thank you for your review and to take the time to comment on Trip Advisor. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay here in the deep south! I hope it won't be too long before we can welcome you back to the hotel once more.

Diolch unwaith eto.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Booked the hotel for a business trip, the WiFi and breakfast included price is generally good with Best Western Hotels.
Parked up in the car park and duly emptied the laptop, brief case and overnight bag only to be told at reception that I was in a "garden room" which was just round the front of the hotel around the corner. I was advised that I should have asked for a room in the hotel. It turned out to be the penultimate garden room, (think motel), furthest away from reception.
The room was ok, albeit dated, but what got me was the lack of WiFi, I was told it was cabled, the cable had an old style phone plug, not suitable for ADSL sockets. Reception then told me they would get me another cable, which they did, but this one had the wrong plug at both ends. This meant I had to walk back and forth to the hotel and hook up with the WiFi to send emails and data.
The following night I asked for another cable and was told that all the cables were given out, I wonder if this is somesort of wheeze, designed to placate the business guest.
Food was ok, I would suggest the bar meals as a better choice.
Breakfast was ok service not so good. Being left standing waiting to be shown your seat whilst staff walk past several times is annoying.

Room Tip: Book a room in the Hotel, especially if you need the WiFi, it's lonley in the far "grden ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. At present, it would be true to say that a few of our rooms are not covered by the wi-fi. Where this is the case, a cabled service is available for our guests to provide Ethernet connectivity. I'm sorry if you found this less than ideal, I understand your frustration Please be assured that we are working on providing full wi fi connectivity through the hotel very soon. Next time you visit us, please contact me personally- I'll be happy to ensure you have a room with full connectivity.

Been to St. Mellons Hotel? Share your experiences!