“Manager's illusions” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Mellons Hotel

You added St. Mellons Hotel to your Saves list
St. Mellons Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Castleton, Cardiff CF3 2XR, Wales (Formerly BEST WESTERN St. Mellons Hotel)   |
Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Manager's illusions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Prior to joining a hotel guest for a drink in the evening at St Mellons hotel and to watch some football I checked this site for it's reviews and when I was driving down the lane to the hotel I had a startling reminder of the manager's reply to the latest review one day ago. I drove the lane as if on a slalom, the potholes were many and varied designed to wrip your tyres off, I had to zig-zag all the way down the lane. The manager had reported that the lane was now smooth after repairs had been carried out, his version of smooth must be the opposite to mine, there were no signs of new tarmacadam anywhere unless they'd repaired only the bottom of the crevasses.
On a positive note the leisure bar was comfortable and friendly, the last time I was here there were stools at the bar and it would have been nice to sit at the bar on some stools but on enquiring to the bar staff where the stools were, they informed us that the manager has had the stools removed, that must be why he walks in a strange way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed atSt Mellons for three nights. I had to move rooms because of internet problems but the manager was very accomodating and even though I had to move twice. Yes the decor is becoming a little outdated, the rooms are are a good size even if the tiny TV is not. The food was of a good standard I ordered bar food as well as restaurant. Watch out for the potholes and the precarious entrance from the Newport road, suggest you use Cypress drive entrance to the golf club. Overall the staff were welcoming and cheerful especially Brian at front of house. The price was good so value for money in my mind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay.

You’ll be delighted to know that next time you visit us you need not worry about the pot holes- work has already commenced to remedy the problem and the drive is once again smooth!

I look forward to welcoming you back to St. Mellons.

Kind regards

Philip Thomas
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night for a wedding. We were given room 45, a garden room, which was large and well furnished but which was so damp it is not fit for paying customers as far as I am concerned. In fact, I wouldn't stay there again if you paid me the going rate. The smell hits you as soon as you walked in the room and the air was permeated with damp. I have just had to put all the clothes I took with me in the wash as the damp was absorbed into them and they stink. Even after the windows were open for hours it was still extremely damp and smelly. The walls must be crawling with damp as even getting loads of fresh air in didn't remove the damp in the air. I consider this room a health hazard. Do not stay in room 45 under any circumstances. We got a £20 discount but even so I would NEVER stay in this room again, the car would have been better, at least the air would have been fresher. It was like sleeping in a tent that has been covered with mould and has had no fresh air in it for years, literally unbearable, I couldn't wait to get out. I think the rooms in the main house are quite nice but the garden rooms are appalling and the fact that they are still in use after so many bad reviews is staggering. The hotel clearly know it is a problem and are still happy to let families with young children stay in these rooms which is a disgrace. These rooms need to be shut down.

• Stayed September 2012
OHIML, General Manager at St. Mellons Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback which has been taken on board.

I have personally checked room 45 following your departure. I apologise that you felt it of such a disappointing standard. I would agree that the bathroom did smell a little musty following a recent leak from the bath, but this has now been resolved.

It would have been beneficial to both you and our team had you brought these issues to our attention prior to your departure, and had you have done this we would have done our best to rectify any problems. We want our guests to have a truly enjoyable stay at the hotel and will do anything possible to resolve issues which detract from their enjoyment and we are sorry this could not be the case during your stay.

We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Aberdyfi (Aberdovey), United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Nice hotel. Great for a wedding - which is why were were here, so just as well.
Had a fab day and a great night. Breakfast was welcome and tasty and the staff very smiley, considering it was a Sunday morning and they'd all probably rather be still in bed. As would we.
Lovely sauna to sweat off the post wedding hang over (the wife's obviously, not mine!) followed by a swim in a good size pool. Then a walk throught he very pretty ground. The hotel is surrounded by a golf course so mind your head if yuo stray off course!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Snowdonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

A tad alarmed by some previous recent reviews we arrived at the St Mellon’s Hotel and Spa not knowing exactly what to expect. But we need not have worried and we had a great two days stay. We were in Cardiff for this year’s straw men convention and convivial get-together and we had a ‘bale’ of a time. Staying at St Mellons was the icing on the cake and although we only ate in once in the evening because of other scarecrow social commitments we were really pleased that we did - breakfasts were not a let down either.
This imposing Edwardian house is surrounded by some seven acres of grounds and it was good to be in the countryside but not that far from the city centre where we had our meetings. This Best Western Hotel boasts a great spa facility and I enjoyed the heated pool while my more energetic partner sweated it out in the steam room after an energetic workout in the gym. Staff were friendly and our bedroom in the main house had a great view. We wonder where next year's convention will be held - overseas perhaps?!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. We are so happy to hear you had an enjoyable time and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Swansea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Having read the previous reviews I was wondering if I'd booked into the wrong hotel!
Friendly staff, beautiful grounds, nice dinner and breakfast and the Garden Rooms, whilst a bit dated from the outside are really spacious and nicely decorated.

It's such a change form the boxes offered by your Holiday Inns and other chains. Quite individual with happy caring people who obviously enjoy what they do.

It's a little out of town if you haven't got a car but nice and tranquil

Don't let the detractors get you down. Keep at it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad to hear your stay was enjoyable and we would love to welcome you back to our hotel any time in the future.

Thank you.
Swindon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I booked the hotel last minute and didn't know what to expect. I was geated by friendly and helpful staff who instantly made me feel welcome. This was the same of all the staff I came into contact with throughout my stay. The spa and leisure club was particulary lovely. A great place to stay if you're exploring Cardiff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind review.

I’m delighted that you found the hotel to your satisfaction and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to St. Mellons Hotel? Share your experiences!