“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 80 Hotels in Cardiff
Wales
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Just back from a weekend break at the hotel about 16 of us for a reunion.
Very polite and helpful all the staff from reception to the bar staff and cleaners.
Hotel room was very clean with a lovely telly and bathroom.
We had food in hotel Saturday night fish an chips about 9 pound very nice.
Sunday we went down for an anazing buffett Breakfast. I was a bit wary of paying 10 pound for breakie but it was the best money spent all weekend very high quality food.
The only deraw back to this hotel is its location between 8- 10 pound taxi into cardiff, but as there where afew of us in each Taxi it work out a lot cheaper.
My Mrs and myself would definatley go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorota27, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff North, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank You very much for your kind review.
My team is very happy to learn that you had a good experience with us. It is always motivating for them to hear that guests recognized their effords!
I hope to see you here in Cardiff again in the near future.
Dorota Pilinska-Price

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Plymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Full of groups of stags an hen. Hallway nosiey all night. :(

Rooms as thin as a wafer. Could hear the people next door to us shave, fart etc :(

Off for breakfast now. Wish us luck

Somerset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

we arrived at the hotel saturday evening and even though we had booked a standard double room, they only had twins remaining. (this was lucky as the couple in front of us were being shipped out to a premier inn as they had been in fact over booked!!) The lobby was busy with stag and hen do's so if your an old couple or a young family this could be quite intimidating. however we were given a room far away from these groups. The room its self was ok but had an adjoing door to the next room so could easily hear the couple next door as im sure they could hear us. The best part of the hotel was the bathroom, clean and modern and the aircon in the room worked perfectly. the mrs found a spider in the bed her and the window was full of condensation.
All in all the staff were curtious and the room was ok for the 1 night we stayed and for the price. we didnt bother eating here as we really didnt want to. We wont be staying here or in another park hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You very much for your review. I am dissapoined to read that you have not enjoyed your stay with us on that ocassion. Please accept my appologies and let me assure that this is not our usuall standard to assign the room which was not requested however if you have booked thought some third e-commerce site we will not get a request for a room type unfortunatelly. I was wondering if you have addressed this with my team to give us a chance to rectify your issues during your stay? I am sure that they would go extra mile to resolve the innconveniance.
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Travelled from mid Bedfordshire Saturday morning for a one night stay. We knew the hotel was on the outskirts, but happy to travel into the centre. The reception staff were extremely polite, very welcoming and very smartly dressed. I got great bookings through www.olotels.com which I stumbled on accidentally (also very good service) double room for £41.00 for one night, with breakfast for 2 people, also a twin room with breakfast for 2 people for £40.00. Because others in the family were coming last minute, we had a name change on one room, but this was no problem.

We did notice the car park payment signs, but decided to ask at reception before buying a ticket and found out that if you're staying at the hotel you don't pay for car parking, they have a machine which you register your car details on so they can check on car parking.

The room (107) was lovely, spacious and exceptionally clean and tidy. Bathroom was the same, really sparkling. Initially I thought there were not enough towels for 2, but found extras in a drawer in the room. Plenty of tea, coffee, sugar etc.

After putting our bags in the room around 2.00pm, we went back down to see if we could get a bite to eat before going to meet the family members in the city. I have Coeliac disease and have to keep to a strictly gluten free diet and although I'd taken food with me, I decided to see if there was anything I could eat. Nothing on the menu so decided to ask the young lad who was looking after the dining space whether they could do something outside of the menu and explained why. I suggested perhaps a simple omelette and some green salad as this is easy to do. He said he would ask the chef. He came back to tell us it was no problem at all, so both my sister and I had a lovely omelette each.

My sister suggested we get a taxi into the centre as we knew we could get a lift back to the hotel with my other sister who arrived earlier and had gone into the city already. The man on reception said a taxi would be about £10 - £12 which we thought was OK as parking in the city would probably end up being more than that. They have a phone on the reception desk which you can use free of charge to call a taxi. Taxi arrived a few minutes later. So glad we got a taxi as the roads were so busy and we would have struggled to find parking on a Saturday afternoon.

Met up with family, cousin visiting from Canada and other Welsh cousins at the Maldron hotel in the centre. Had a fab time. Came back to the hotel to change for the evening. Went together in one car with both sisters to The Harvester in Cardiff Bay for a family meal together. That was all very good too. Back to the hotel to sleep. Had a cup of tea and a read before going to sleep. Only small problem was being woken in the night by noisy people in the corridors, but this isn't the fault of the hotel, just inconsiderate people.

In the morning, had a lovely shower. We went down to get some breakfast. The young man who served us yesterday afternoon greeted us at the dining room and much to my absolute surprise asked me would I like some gluten free toast with my breakfast. I felt this was extremely thoughtful and really didn't think he would even remember my sister and I given the amount of people who go through this hotel daily.

I accepted the offer of the toast, just asking him to check with the chef that the bread wasn't put through the same toasting process as other bread (thereby rendering it 'contaminated') he came back with 2 slices of gluten free toast for me. My sister and had a lovely breakfast. Buffet breakfast as much as you want, plenty of choice and lots of things I could eat too!

Checked out of our room shortly after this and headed back to Bedfordshire, but did ask the name of the young man who asked me about the toast and found out his name is James. So thank you to James for being extra thoughtful.

Sorry I can't comment on the spa or fitness suite as we didn't get time to use them.

Room Tip: Ask the reception staff if you have a particular request, I'm sure they will do all they can to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Many Thanks for a lovely review. I am glad that you ahve enjoyed your stay with us and found my team attentive and up to your expectations. We are trying to provide a personalised servise and i am very happy that on this occasion we have succeeded a whole way. I will make sure that James is recognized for his customer service. I hope to see you soon in Cardiff
Exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed last weekend with an ageing group of stags. Rooms were spot on, breakfast - bar - snacks were all good.

I've paid double if not triple for a damn sight less in London. Great hotel for the money we paid per room.

Only gripe, Cardiff is a fair old taxi ride away. 10 - 15 quid away to be exact, depending on how much the taxi driver likes you!!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank You very much for your positive review. I am very happy to you had good time in our hotel, and hope to see you again soon. Unfortunatelly Taxi drivers are a beat of a mightmare all over the world, but in case you would use our hotel again please ask reception to arrange it .
With Best wishes for YOUR BIG Day
Leigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in June, arrived slightly early but check in smooth and room ready. Enter car reg on computer for free parking, because it has a fitness centre and if you dont register as a hotel guest theres a £90 charge. Room massive with lots of lighting and large bed, nice vanity unit with large free safe. Bathroom, plenty room and waterfall shower was excellent, although shower screen slighty short so water splashes on floor.
Bar only small and slighty expensive, but nice lounge area with tv projected on wall as well as a couple of flat screen tvs around.
Buffet dinner and breakfast was slightly disappointing, at both meals we had to stand waiting for food to come out of kitchen because dishes were not replenished quick enough, and although choice was ok some food was not too hot. you do not get served anything and you have to get up and get your own including tea and coffee.
We did get a couple of coach partys and a hen party but we had no hassles and it was quiet enough so we didn`t get woken up.
If you want to get to Cardiff centre would recommend the bus, only a 5 minute walk from hotel and was £1.70 a trip or £3.40 a day ticket, and buses were regular 10 - 15mins. Caught a taxi back once and got ripped off by an Asian driver, it cost £10 back to hotel! Found out later they were known for it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed our bedrooms and made a good use of our bar area. Dissapointed to learn that the breakfast experience did not leave up to your expectations however since your last stay we have made a number of chanages in regards to serving procedures as well as increased our team members to serve out busiest breakfast. Please accept my appoIogies and stay assured that this is not our usual standard. hope that you would see a positive difference if you would stay with us duirng your next visit to Cardiff.
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

My Partner and I stayed here at the weekend for two nights. After a quick Check in, we settled in Our Very clean room. Unfortunately we found One dirty teaspoon, only decaf coffee and no plug. The Dinner on the First night was good, apart from the steak, which was Bad quality meat. Breakfast on the First morning was good. However, on the second morning I noticed there were no fried eggs, so we had boiled eggs instead. They were scorched from being left on the hot surface for to long. My Partner had a cooked breakfast. Bacon and sausage were terrible. Like the morning before I had seeded bread with chicken and cheese. All of it looked and tasted as it was from the Day before. But the wirst thing was the staff Manager. She was shouting at one waitress in front of the guests, which a good manager should never Do. She was a grumpy Person who was just running around moaning at the staff, who were Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments.
Please accept my appolgies for poor quality of service during the breakfast. I have addresed your comment with my menager and I can quarantee that this kind of behaviour is not our usual standard.
Since your last stay we have revised breakfast procedues and some of products offered so i would like to assue you that we you be kind to choose our hotel in the future we will experience a positive improvment. We are also in a proceess of changing a meat supplier to improve a product quality.
I hope to see you in Park Inn Cardiff North again in the near future.
Dorota Pilinska-Price

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff North? Share your experiences!