“Would stay again.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 80 Hotels in Cardiff
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
“Would stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

This wasn't my first choice of hotel as I'd originally thought of staying at the Big Sleep Hotel. After reading some less then favourable reviews on here about that Hotel and due to the fact that I was able to get a good deal on a website I chose the Park Inn.

It's only a short walk from the Central Railway Station and not far from the City Centre either so it ticked all the boxes I had on that front.

I found the staff on duty very helpful and friendly and the room I had was fine, very clean and tidy. Admittedly the area around the hotel is a bit of building site at the moment, but that can't be helped and as I was out of the hotel for most the day the work didn't disturb me in any way.

The only meal I ate at the hotel was breakfast which was fantastic. The buffet style meant you could have as much as you wanted which set me up for a day at the Eisteddfod. There were 2 coach parties staying at the hotel at the same time of me and I did notice a few of the staff looking a bit frazzled trying to keep up with the requirements of other guests at breakfast on the first morning of my stay, so if anything I'd question their ability to cope with large numbers using the restaurant at once. However that didn't affect me and I found the staff very helpful and quick to bring anything I needed.

If I was l looking to stay in Cardiff again I would definitely look to stay at the Park Inn again especially if I could get a similar deal.

• Liked — Central location & great breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Langar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Stayed here on a stag weekend and got a deal for about £125.00 a night for a triple room. Hotel staff were very pleasant, although one chap said breakfast was served up until 11.00 at the weekend but it actually stops being served at 10.30 and even then you have slim pickings after about 10.15.

For some reason the bedroom was very hot (2nd floor).

Hotel was very clean, including the bathrooms and bedrooms. The bar attached to the hotel was closed for refurbishment when we went, but there are plenty of pubs less than 5 minutes away. Cardiff International Arena is literally just across the road and the City Centre less than 5 minutes walk away.

If you like a rough Saturday night, go drinking in the City Centre but if you want a more sedate and pleasant night then catch a taxi to the bay (between £5 and £8). Really nice bars, plenty of places to eat and excellent atmosphere.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The hot bedroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Enfield,UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

On the positive side, the hotel is in a good central location and, for £75.00 per night room only is reasonable for a city hotel. It also has a lovely reception area.
However...had booked a twin room non-smoking 2 months ago only to find we had been put on 4th floor-which is the smoking floor. Apparently, it was "all we had left"........ The room was unbearably hot as was the corridor. Corridor was also very smelly.After 2 sleepless nights we asked to move and were given a first floor room. Receptionist said "all our rooms are very hot" The first floor rooms have all been renovated but no air conditioning and windows which only open about one inch. The second room was clean but the first had a disgusting bathroom with faeces covering the spare toilet roll. When we returned on the second day at 4.00 , ithe room had not been cleaned or beds made. Obviously forgotten but they had dumped clean sheets outside the door. Even at 75.00 per night I dont expect to make my own bed!
I frequently stay in hotels in the UK and abroad and I have to say, the receptionist on duty when we arrived was THE most unwelcoming that I have ever come across. She must have been on reception the next day too as, when my partner phoned, his first question was "Who on earth was the person on reception, She sounds as though she is reading from a script. "Exactly. The rest of the staff seemed OK.but could do with training. First time I have not been asked in a hotel if I enjoyed my stay. I had to ask for a customer feedback form.
Would I stay again. No. Would I recommend. No.

Stayed July 2008
boffincat
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed here for a concert at the CIA and its location if you are attending a concert can't be beaten - this is where the good news ends!

We arrived and booked in and headed for the bar for a snack and a drink only to be told at 6.10 that they were no longer taking food orders as they had over booked!!!! This is a major hotel in the early evening!

The room was spacious but had so many colours in it it felt like we had entered a time warp! I hasten to add that this was a refurbished room and not one waiting to be revamped. The bathroom was so small I couldn't put out perfumes etc they had to stay in my case, also the bath was so small it was impossible to balance my shampoo on the bath edge!

Not a happy night at all. After the concert we thought we would try the bar again for a drink, four staff disappeared from behind the bar and the line reached the door within minutes!

If you want somewhere central for a concert then this is excellent but don't expect a lot from your stay and you will not end up disappointed!

• Liked — Location for shopping and CIA
  • Disliked — Unable to cater for large amounts of people!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

Booked a double standard room back at the beginning of Feb 08. One night B&B for 2 at £193.00. This was after a morning of futile calls trying to get a room in Cardiff so I suspect there may have been some demand led pricing going on.
Booking process was good and the reservation was confirmed by email at the second request.
Arrived early and was directed to a nearby NCP as the hotel car park was full. They have an agreement for reduced rates and put it on your bill - £5.50 per 24hr which I feel is good value for City centre parking.
Room typical non descript functional room that could be anywhere in the world, however it was spotlessly clean and well equiped.
We were in town for a concert at the millenium stadium, which is under a 10 minute walk away, along with many others. The concert ended about 11.15 and we walked back to the hotel. I estimate about 50 other guests also did the same. We got back about 11.30 and were amazed to find the bar had been closed by a very young duty manager who said he'd done so at 11 as it was dead!
He was bombarded by lots of angry guests but refused to reopen the bar as he announced he didn't know how to operate it!
Lots of experience there then! He offered room or lobby service grudgingly, shrugging his shoulders and saying 'you'll have to wait ages though'. The poor lad on his own doing room service was hit by about 50 orders and consequently we waited an hour and twenty minutes for a round of 2 drinks.
The duty manager was not interested in rectifying the situation and dealt with the stream of complaints with flippant remarks.
The next morning a different manager who had been present on check in asked if we'd had a great time the previous evening and seemed staggered that the aforementioned had happened.
Some training needed in whats on in the locality, if he'd put his head out of the door and used a bit of nouse he would've heard the concert still in progress and realised guests would be back. By the time we got out of the stadium most of the City centre pubs were full to capacity. Our only option was to head back to the hotel.

• Liked — Convenience to Millenium Stadium
  • Disliked — Poor customer service ( late evening shift)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beckenham, Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

Some of the reviews for the Park Inn are a bit harsh. I stayed there for a concert at the CIA and you can't get closer. It's also only 5 minutes into town for shops and bars. The staff were helfpul and friendly, and even coped with our drunken behaviour.

The room was clean, fresh and plenty big enough, even for two girls and their shoes and makeup.

The breakfast wasn't great and the view out the window was of a building site, but what do you expect in a city, it's hardly the hotel's fault a building is going up next to them.

Generally a nice, comfortable and friendly hotel. Wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
cotswolds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Stayed at the park Inn because we had a concert to go to across the road that evening at the indoor arena. In terms of convenience/proximity for the Arena, you can't get any closer unless you take your sleeping bag along to the venue itself! Parking was also convenient - again just across the road.
The hotel itself, however, isn't great - it will be a lot better when the rooms are refurbished - the public areas are being done at the moment including lifting a concrete floor in the reception which is very noisy and can be heard all through the hotel
The room was standard - very tired and needs repainting and a new bathroom. Bed was comfortable though.
Biggest problem was probably the proximity on the other side to the new shopping centre which is being built. Give it another year and the location will be fantastic and in the middle of all the new bits of cardiff - at the moment though, it's just a building site with lorries reversing and drills going from 8am so not the most relaxing place to stay, or to walk around for that matter.
I hope they take the time to really bring things up to scratch whilst they bide their time, because it should be excellent, but for now, not good.
Also, the pub onsite is probably the least welcoming place I've ever been - just really sad with a few locals who clearly spend far too much time there. I hope this goes in the changes too.

• Liked — proximity to the indoor arena
  • Disliked — the really noisy building site behind which woke me up, and the awful pub in the building
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre? Share your experiences!