“Room for improvement.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 80 Hotels in Cardiff
Shropshire
“Room for improvement.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the Wales v RSA rugby as it close to the Millenium Stadium. Booked a suite on the 5th floor. 1st impressions were good, however there were a number of issues that blight the £245 per night room charge. Room decor very dated, musty smell in the room, bedroom window not shutting completely, room very cold - the only heating is an old Glen Dimplex electric wall heater.

Bathroom was of a good size.

Underground carpark is very small and was full even though I'd asked for a space. Parked in the St David's multi story next door.

Breakfast was very good, no complaints there.

Staff friendly enough.

Hotel excellent for city centre shops, pubs, restaurants and Millenium Stadium.

• Stayed November 2013
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your valuable feedback. I am disappointed to see the issues that you encountered during your stay. I have shared your feedback with the rest of my team and be rest assured that all corrective actions have been taken to make sure that these issues don’t reoccur.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you will give us another chance to change your opinion about us.
Mahesh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Park Inn last night -we went to the Wales vs South Africa.
We had I believe an executive room. Whilst on first looking at the hotel it seems ok! we checked in around 2:00 and went to our room which was very clean and welcoming I noticed the toilet seat was broken -on our way out I informed reception. It was replaced by the time got back. We returned to the hotel quite late and had a drink at the bar in plastic glasses!! I did not expect that for the money we paid to stay - the barman informed us it was due to the rugby. We were residents of the hotel and I did not appreciate being treated as if we were yobs - the barman was very polite and we just accepted it. Breakfast was good but I would not pay £22.00 for it as they tried to charge me extra on check in lucky I had my email confirmation with me. The room information in our room stated it was £12 or £13 not £22.00 .
We were only there one night the beds were good the shower excellent
But I felt ripped off paying £295.00 for this experience.
I probably would not go there again

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the feedback. I can understand your frustration for paying such a high rate for the rugby weekend, you have to understand though that the prices were very reasonable compare to all the other city hotel in the city as we realize that us being a 3 star property can’t command the high price as our 4 star counterparts.

With regards to using the plastic glasses, it’s a safety precaution we along with all the other city center hotel take during rugby days its very similar to how the supermarkets by law are not allowed to sell glass bottles on Rugby day.

Again, many thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you back when your travel brings you back to Cardiff.
Slaidburn, Lancashire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Booked rooms for a dozen folk then nearer the arrival date had to make a few changes - all sorted by them with no problems.
Good breakfast, well equipped rooms and it worked out at less than £100 each for 2 nights stay, Fri / Sat.
Hotel was busy both nights but they coped well
Will return to Cardiff soon with this as a first choice for me.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am glad that we ticked off all the boxes during your stay. We understand that last minute requirements can be a bit overwhelming and we make sure that we don’t make any difference between a last minute booking and a pre booked booking, wherever possible and if we have rooms available adding or modifying bookings are not a problem.
I have shared your feedback with my team who are glad that their effort was appreciated at this platform.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again when your travel brings you back to this wonderful city.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We were staying for 5 nights for an event.
The hotel looks nice inside. The room has good amenities and is tastefully decorated. Fresh towels etc were always provided.
However we did have a few issues.
The room was a double, but was two single beds pushed together which kept coming apart.
Breakfast was below average, very stodgy, greasy, awful coffee, watery juice, stale pastries etc.
Despite reviews and responses, I will still note the heat of the room. This surely could have something done about. The weather was freezing outside and the room was sweltering, we had the window open for the full 5 days, day and night and was still unbearable. Turn the thermostat down?!
Staff were great though. Probably a great hotel for an overnight stay or 2.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. As you said most of the rooms in the hotel have two single beds which can be zipped and linked together to make it as a double, this arrangement has been put in place so as not to limit us to accommodate the demands for double bedding when needed.
Unfortunately we don’t have air cons in the room and we don’t advertise air cons as one of our facilities, to compensate for the lack of air con we have a fan and heater in every single room, I do apologies if the heater was missing from your room, just for future, all you need to do is dial ‘0’ and our reception team would have made sure that your request for heater would be adhered to straight away.
I have discussed the issues with the breakfast with my Chef who has made sure that these issues don’t re occur.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and we hope to see you back when your travel brings you back to Cardiff.
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Very reasonably priced City Centre Hotel. We were upgraded to a Business room, which was extremely pleasant. We were there to attend an event at the Motorpoint Arena which is literally opposite. Good thing as it was pouring with rain and usually when hotels say opposite somewhere it means quite a walk but this was certainly not the case. Staff were extremely pleasant and efficient. We met a couple of friends for breakfast and we all agreed it was very good value. Easy walk to shops and restaurants. Would certainly stay at this hotel again and be happy to recommend. Car park certainly not massive but we had no problems at all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am glad that you did enjoy the upgrade with all the added facilities the room had to offer.
As you already said, our location is something which we do take extreme pride in, being in the middle of the city center closer to all major tourist attractions and events in Cardiff.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and I will hope to see you back when your travel brings you back to this wonderful city.
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My elderly mother and I arrived at Park Inn on October 30th to attend a Halloween concert the next evening. The hotel was easy to find (with sat nav!) and we parked easily in the pay and display underground car park on site. There are a couple of disabled spaces next to the doorway which leads to the lift that takes you up to the reception area, this was useful for us as my mum has difficulty walking.
We were booked in quickly and the young man on reception was very friendly and efficient.The reception area has a very eye-catching red colour scheme which is bright and welcoming.
Our twin room on the second floor was spacious and very clean with lots of storage space, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, good size flat screen tv, comfy reading chair with lamp, desk with chair and wi-fi available.
The beds were extremely comfortable and we slept well the three nights we stayed at Park Inn. Considering that we were right in the centre of town we did not find it too noisy at all and loved the fact that five minutes after walking out of the front door we were in John Lewis and the St. David's shopping centre!
The bathroom was immaculately clean with plenty of fluffy white towels and power shower.
We only had one meal in the hotel on the evening of our arrival and again were looked after well by the restaurant staff and enjoyed our meals which we thought reasonably priced. (I can recommend the Swiss cheese and mushroom burger!)
All in all a great hotel and we will certainly stay there again when we visit Cardiff!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
mahesh j, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Park Inn Cardiff City Center and enjoyed all the facilities that the room had to offer.
I have shared your feedback with my team who are happy that their efforts with regards to the service offered and the cleanliness in the room was appreciated at this platform.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we wish to welcome you back when your travel brings you back to the wonderful city.
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Park inn for a good number of years whenever visiting Cardiff. So our trip to the city for the Rugby League opening ceremony was no exception.

The hotel is ideally located with the main attractions just a short walk from the hotel. The hotel represents reasonable value for money, depending on what room you are allocated.

Unfortunately very little has been done to improve or enhance the rooms or public areas since it was acquired from Jury’s Hotels/Inns, the décor is as it was while operating as a Jury’s hotel.

What has changed is the room furniture, each time we visit there seems to be less furniture in the rooms, with various bits and pieces having been removed from the rooms by what must be a maintenance worker in training. Where something has been tidied up it seems to have been a rush job or just not finished. Therefore the hotel continues to be in need of a proper make over.

Cardiff has a good number of hotels, many have been open for a great deal longer than the Park Inn, but they have been upgraded as the years roll by while the Park Inn just plods on regardless.
Arriving at reception the check in was straight forward. I had booked a twin room with suitable facilities for an adult with mobility limitations. At check in I asked if I was being allocated the twin bedded room with a walk in shower and safety rails, I was informed that the room should be what had been requested. Very little attention was given to what I had requested, it wasn’t looked into so as to ensure that the room would be suitable for me, it was clear to anyone and everyone around the reception that I had difficulties walking. Foolishly I took the receptionists word and we made our way to the allocated room.

Entering the room, it did indeed have a suitable walk in shower, although just one double bed! I informed reception of this, using the in- house phone. I was reassured by reception that someone would go to the room and divide the double bed into two beds, this seemed odd because it was a double bed with one mattress. When leaving the hotel that evening to join friends for a meal I reminded reception that the double bed needed to be changed to two beds, again I was reassured.

Upon returning to the room that evening, surprise, surprise the double bed was still there. I phoned reception who agreed to send someone to divide the bed later in the night. I pointed out that I wanted to go to bed very shortly and didn’t really want to stay up for another 30 or 60 minutes. So a member of staff turned up 15 minutes or so later.

The staff member was very pleasant and proceeded to divide the bed, only to realise it was actually a double bed and not two single beds secured together. He apologised and returned to reception, returning 15 minutes or so later with the news that I would have to be moved to another room, so I agreed… I just needed to go to bed!

We made our way to the new room and it had the required twin beds. However the room was in a poor state, worse than the original room allocated. All rooms seem to have very poor lighting, it is almost impossible to read anything in the room during the day or night. A number of bulbs were not working in both rooms allocated, which clearly affected the level of lighting in the room.

Our second room featured two random bedside table lamps and one standing lamp in the other corner of the room. One down-light was working above to entry door and another light was still working in the bathroom, but nothing else.
Eventually I fell asleep, pillows very poor though and considerable noise outside throughout the night, made no difference if the window was open or closed, the same noise level penetrated the room.

The following morning we awoke and were amazed to find a partially eaten triple pack chicken sandwich from the Co Op in our room. It certainly wasn’t there the previous evening when we went to bed, I’m sure the staff member would have spotted it and removed it and we had not bought anything from the Co Op. This left us rather concerned that someone might have entered the room while we were asleep, rather alarming!

On a more positive note the Park Inn now offers Wi Fi for a sensible price, during previous visits I had raised the issue over what was being charged to connect to the internet. Now there is a free basic connection to the Wi-Fi service and an optional premium service a £5 a day, a great improvement on the previous set up.

We would have to consider carefully about returning to the Park Inn again, it is showing its age, the rooms are becoming very poor.

Room Tip: Take a torch - the room lighting is minimal with many bulbs not working and few lamps in place.