My wife and I booked a one night stay for a shopping trip in cardiff direct with Holiday inn Express online. Leaving our daughter with Grandparents for the night, we were looking forward to some time alone . I booked a 'Standerd double room'.
As regular Holiday Inn Express customers, we didn't consider reading any reviews before booking as we've never been disapointed with any of our Holiday Inn Express stays in the past (and there have been many).
The hotel has a huge car park and you're guaranteed a space (a great bonus in Cardiff).
The lady behind reception wasn't rude, but not that friendly either, if you know what I mean? I felt like I was bothering her rather than being welcomed. We were giving the key and told where our room was. We had a room over looking the carpark. (the odd numbered rooms seem to be the ones overlooking the water). When we opened the door, we found that there were 2 single beds instead of the double we had booked. "Oh well" we said, and went back downstairs to raise our concern. Without thinking about it at that time, we probably expected an opology for the mistake and to be moved to a double without any fuss. We were polite and in a good mood - looking forward to dropping out bags off and getting on with some shopping. We were soon knocked back down to earth though, by the rude, patronising and suprisingly horrible women (the manager) who couldn't help but tell us over and over again that it was OUR fault we had a single room as we had booked a "standerd room" online which means "you will get whatever type of room is available" and "why didn't we bother to phone the hotel to double check". We explianed that we've never had a problem before and have booked the same way everytime but if we were wrong, the website isn't very clear to make that point. We were told "it's very clear and next time we book, we should check the details properly. Your lucky we have a cancellation". Not being in the mood to argue with this nasty lady and just wanting to get on with enjoying our precious leisure time together, we kept our mouths shut and took our new key to our new room.
The room wasn't what I've come to expect from H I express. The bathroom door had a huge hole in its centre as if a fight had recently broken out. The carpet was dirty and (later that evening) we discovered the kettle didn't work.
Again, shrugging it off, we went downstairs to ask for a taxi to take us into the city centre as it's a bit of a walk when it's raining. Luckily (so we thought), the Manager wasn't at the desk, so we asked another young lady if we could get a taxi into the city. I was expecting her to pick up the phone and call a company for us, but instead without a word uttered from her, we were handed a bit of paper with a telephone number written on it. (how proffesional is that!) Anyway, it cost just £4.50 from the hotel to John Lewis (a fair distance to walk, but only about a 10 minute walk to the Red Dragon Centre and Cardiff Bay in the oposite direction from the city centre.
Had a great day. Fantastic city, shops, resaurants galore and friendly people.
Went back to the hotel after a nice big meal out and wanted to get 2 bottles of water to take to the room. We went to get an ice bucket from the cupboard marked "ice buckets stored here" - it was empty. Oh well the water's probebly chilled in the veding machine? In went £1.50, out came nothing, no bottle, no money. It's sad to say, but we almost expected as much. Dare we ask at the reception? No, we just went to bed...... To be woked up by the fire alarm at 7:30!
We opened the hotel room door to see a member of staff running down the hallway shouting "it's just a drill, don't worry". What more can I say?
Breakfast - Normal Holiday Inn Express breakfast. Toast, pastries, fruit, cereals etc. A bit cramped but overall ok.
Will not visit this hotel again next time we go to Cardiff and will think twice going to Holiday Inn Express again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Waterfront area of the old East Dock in Cardiff Bay is the prime position of the Express by Holiday Inn. Only 15 minutes walking distance from the centre of Cardiff makes a great place to stay, and to view the magnificent local shops and picturesque Arcades.Walking distance to Mermaid Quay and Millennium Centre. It is also situated in the heart of Cardiff's exciting Bay Development. With places of interest including Cardiff Castle, the home of the Welsh Assembly, the Millennium Stadium, The Millennium Centre, Techniquest the Children's Science Museum and the Museum of Welsh Life at St.Fagans, the Express by Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay is your one and only choice for accommodation in Cardiff. The Express by Holiday Inn is located just off M4 Motorway, which makes access very easy, and brings you around the city centre, showing you attractions like you have never seen before. There is ample onsite parking, which is charged at £5 per 24 hours. For your peace of mind, our car park is monitored 24 hours a day by CCTV.Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Hotel Cardiff
- Holiday Inn Cardiff Bay
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Wales