“GREAT VALUE HOTEL” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Cardiff
MILFORD HAVEN
“GREAT VALUE HOTEL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed for one night recently. The Sandringham is great value for a short stay and conveniently sited. Yes, it's an older type hotel, but this is reflected in the price and it's spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast menu would put many 4* establishments to shame. We were a little concerned that being in the city centre there might be noise at night but we had asked for a quiet room and didn't hear a thing. We will definitely stay again when we are in Cardiff.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review.
It was a pleasure to welcome you both.
I am really pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay. I am also happy to read that you felt our breakfast choice was excellent. I have kept adding items as requested by guests so hopefully all will agree that the breakfast is quite substantial when considering the price.
Thank you for taking the time to write on this website.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Kind regards, Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with a friend (2 single rooms) for 2 nights end of May. The hotel is located in city centre and as far as location is concerned ideal for sightseeing, shopping and transport.
Staff was v e r y friendly, welcoming and helpful. WIFI password provided at check in.

The rooms (double for single ccupancy) were of good size, very clean and offered everything you need. Quite a big bathroom with shower a bit outdated, mounted to the wall and very low pressure. My travel companion had a room with apparently only a hole in the wall where the
water was coming out rather "periodically". Rooms facing the back of the hotel offer less view but are considerably quieter, though from somewhere you are getting a aircondition noise all night. And, well, you are right in the centre, so do not expect a quiet stay.

Please also note that the hotel has no lift and you are facing stairs straight from the entrance onwards..

Breakfast selection was quite good.

Overall - for a 2 Star Hotel - quite a pleasant stay. As said: the bathrooms and specifically the showers could do with some upgrading.

Things to watch out for: compare prices before you book. I am planning to come back to Cardiff end of August where the **hotel is either priced higher or at least not competitive to ***/**** hotels in similar location. Also book via portals - the room prices the hotel is charging directly seem to be considerably higher.

Room Tip: Rooms facing to the back do not offer much view but are considerably quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and review.
I am delighted to read that in general you have enjoyed your stay.
I have been having water pressure problems on the top floor due to the local water board turning down the pressure in the area to meet leakage targets. Therefore I am having a booster pump installed in early June 2013 so I hope this issue will be cured soon.
The extractor fan you could hear does go off between 10.00 pm and 11.00 am.
Please ring me direct to confirm prices as ours should and usually do compare well with our competitors.
A lot of hotels for some reason charge more on their own website. This is not however the case with my hotel. Prices booked via our own web site are guaranteed to be lower than third party booking sites. This will be all day every day.
I hope I will welcome you again and that you will contact me direct on 029 20232161 where I shall ensure you get our very best price.
Dieren, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night and we would probably come back to this hotel.
Hotelstaff is friendly and helpful.
The room was nice and clean, bathroom as well.
Nice breakfast.
Free wifi.
Located in the city centre, close to the bus and trainstation but also closeby the castle/shops.
Parking is nearby the hotel, about 5 mins walk but rather expencive, we paid 18 pounds for a day.
There's a reastaurant downstairs and you get discount when you go there to eat, but we didn't went there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review.
I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay.
We have a concession with a local car park bringing the cost down to £9 per 24 hours.
I am sorry that this message has not been conveyed to you.
Please contact me direct if we are lucky enough to receive your booking in the future. I would be happy to offer complimentary parking on your next visit to make up for this error.
Once again thank you.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is only a two minute walk from the train station. It is well priced (£60 for my friend and I for one night and included breakfast).

The rooms are clean, tidy and somewhat stylish, with comfortable beds. There's supposed to be free wifi for all rooms. However it didn't work in ours for some reason.

Breakfast was nice - a good spread. The staff were nice and friendly.
You also get a discount in the jazz cafe next door (which is very nice), while staying here.

I would definitely stay here again :)

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hello. Thank you so much for your visit and review.
I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed the hotel and service. I apologise about the Wi-Fi.
I had an engineer updating passwords etc and it took him a bit longer than expected. It should be fine next time, if as I hope, you return in the future.
My receptionist said it was lovely to meet you.
Thanks again.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My daughter and i stayed at The Sandringham on Monday 29th April so we could see the 20 th anniversary of Rent at St David's Hall.It was a 5 minute walk from the train station and close to all the shops and just a 2 min walk from St David's Hall. We were greeted by a lovely lady and instantly felt welcome. (sorry didn't get your name,but fellow red head!!!)
The Sandringham has a real family feel to it and all staff are working so hard to compete with the sterile,non friendly Travelodges and Premier Inns of the world. Yes the building is a little tired and there is no lift, but i would personally prefer that and have happy and friendly staff around the place. We booked a twin room with breakfast and paid only £47.....bargain!
Our breakfast was lovely....we had the cooked which was tasty and there was a selection of cereals,croissants and toast again the staff couldn't have been more friendly.
We loved our stay there and left feeling refreshed and determined to return in the near future. All i would say is lose the brown duvet covers!! Thank-you for a lovely stay and we will be returning again soon.Keep up the good work x

Room Tip: We stayed on a monday night,so it was relatively quiet outside.However the st has many clubs on it s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for choosing to stay at the Sandringham.
Alison (the fellow redhead) said it was lovely to meet you both and has asked me to send you her thanks for posting on this website.
i am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our family atmosphere. It is very important to us for guests to enjoy their stay so it is rewarding to receive such positive comments.
I have noted your comments about duvet colours. We did have dark brown and then changed to a lighter mocha colour. We can only change yearly as we sign contracts with the laundry supplier.
Therefore we will look at them again when the next contract is due.
Once again thank you and hopefully we will welcome you again soon.
Devon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a difficult place to review. The purist could pick holes in all sorts of things: lots of stairs and no lift; dated decor bordering on the tatty; street noise at the front; mattresses not exactly Vi-Spring pocket-sprung models. But, as a two-star, reasonably priced hotel, the Sandringham does a very good job.
It could hardly be more conveniently placed - in one of Cardiff's central streets within luggage carrying distance of the station - the downside to this is the street noise when the pubs and clubs turn out - my mate's spare earplugs proved a godsend. The room and bedding were clean and serviceable, and the twin room (No.100) had a bath - which always earns brownie points in my book. Unlike so many cheaper hotels, the pillows were good and, although the mattress was a touch basic in its springing, the staff were only too happy to give me an extra duvet to act as a topper on the second night.
There was a good choice of the usual stuff at breakfast, all decently cooked; again the service was extremely friendly and obliging which more than made up for the dingy 70s decor in the dining room. After all, you don't eat naff murals

Another plus was the price (booked via a website) which worked out at a total bill per person of just over £50 each for two midweek nights based on two sharing (i.e. £26 p.p per night). I thought this was very fair.
As long as you don't have expectations beyond its two stars, the Sandringham is definitely a place to consider for a no-nonsense stay.

Room Tip: Go for the back of the hotel if you're a light sleeper, and for lower floors if you've got h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and balanced review.
Sadly as you say we do not have a lift and cannot get one due to space and it being a listed building. We do have rooms at the back of the hotel which are much quieter than the front and can be requested. There was also a major event on the night you stayed which made the street a bit noisier.
I agree that we are not a brand new building but hopefully you still saw charm and character in our hotel. The mural in the breakfast room definitely needs a description next to it. We are told that it is a very rare and impressive piece of art. However I think it would be more appreciated if the history of it was shown. I am trying my best to obtain this.
My main objective is for guests to enjoy their stay and depart believing that they have had good value for money. Therefore I am very pleased with your review and thank you for it.
Hopefully we will welcome you again in the future.
Wales Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

“If music be the food of love play on give me excess of it” ( Twelfth night opening scene ).Even the Bard himself would love the Cafe Jazz, music ,food ,romance all blended together to make a perfect night . The music is provided by local artists the night we went was a blues night, the food was first class and the romance, well my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary.
The lit up “Cafe Jazz “sign outside on the high street , gives the impression of a Parisian hideaway in the Latin Quarter of Paris. Inside there are two levels the cafe area for the aficionados waiting for the music and the main restaurant at the rear. If you are having a meal then the entrance charge is waived on our Friday evening that was £4 each.
As we entered quite early at 19.30 expecting it to be quiet the place was buzzing with a party of twenty in full flow. Even though it was busy the service was never compromised .The staff consisted of the gregarious pair of Alex and James overseen by the professional Mireille. The staff were attentive to a fault without ever being intrusive happily engaging in conversation even though clearly it was a hectic time. We came with all intentions of a three course meal but the potions were so large we could not make dessert. I started with Sweet Potatoes Rostie with honey roast ham poached egg and Herb Hollandaise it reminded of bubble and squeak and was simply delicious. My wife had Medley of Mushrooms au Gratin with warm bread and if anything it was better than my starters try it you will not be disappointed.
I decided on Cod Fillet in Crispy Batter with peas and chips. My wife Surf and turf both meals were excellent with the cod being so large and the batter literally melted in my mouth I struggled to finish my meal. The chips were not the Cafes strongest point and next time I would opt for Jacket potato. I would have loved to have tried Bread and Butter pudding in custard, maybe next time.
There was music in the background and the live artists came on at 10pm there was a good atmosphere to the place. The best part was you can utilise a Taste Card at the restaurant to have the meals up to 50%off. The Cafe Jazz is an annexe to the Sandringham Hotel a family run hotel and on this occasion we stayed in the Holiday Inn for a couple of nights, next time we stay in Cardiff the Sandringham will be our first port choice of call . Simon Dutton the owner has a team and a restaurant to be proud of. Yes even the Bard himself would recommended this place

Room Tip: Takes Taste-Card in the Cafe Jazz 2 for 1.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
owner123, Owner at Sandringham Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you Paul for your wonderfully written review. I am sure many people will enjoy reading it.
It is fantastic to hear such positive comments especially from a senior reviewer (number of reviews not age of course).
I sadly was unable to meet you in person on this occasion but hopefully will in the future. I am delighted that you and your wife chose Cafejazz to celebrate your anniversary..
I hope you will know that I am genuinely grateful to you as such positive words helps to keep us competitive against the many brands located close by.
Kind regards, Simon

Been to Sandringham Hotel? Share your experiences!