“Food ok but service needs attention” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bombay Blue

Bombay Blue
27A Cardiff Road | Nantgarw, Cardiff CF15 7SS, Wales (Llandaff)
+44 1443 842828
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bombay Blue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #300 of 936 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Llandaff
Description: Situated in Nantgarw near Cardiff, Bombay Blues is a vibrant restaurant specialising in traditional Indian cuisine. Providing a unique combination of knowledge, experience and traditional values, we invite our customers to dine in modern, relaxed and welcoming surroundings. Bombay Blues serves an extensive array of authentic meals, which are freshly prepared using the finest ingredients. Our food can be consumed in our restaurant or in the comfort of your own home via our Takeaway service.
Cardiff, South Wales
“Food ok but service needs attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014

We've not been to Bombay Blue in a few months as our last experience was disappointing. We decided to give it another go on a Sunday and had their buffet. At £8.95 each its reasonable for lunch.

Again, we were the only people there at 12.30. The food is ok - curly fries must be an Indian dish that I have overlooked all these years but this was served as a starter - probably as its cheap. The mains were ok.

The service does hold a lot to be desired, probably the reason for the lack of customers. It always seems to be the same chap there on a Sunday who is always sullen and grumpy bordering on the rude. He mumbled the dishes on the buffet and we were left a little unsure about what we would get.

We are not in a rush to visit again - until we forget about the service and decide to give them another go. Some attention to the service would really give this place a boost, they have great parking so it seems a shame that it is never busy when we've been there.

• Visited October 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BBNantgarw, Public Relations Manager at Bombay Blue, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your review - we're so sorry you didn't have the experience you were anticipating, and that the level of service was not to the standard that we would expect our customers to receive. All feedback is passed back to the Head Chef and Management, and your comments will of course be taken into consideration. Regards BB

South Wales UK
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

Visited 15.11.14 after receiving good feedback and reading reviews. It started well, poppadums and mixed starters were good, however we waited an HOUR before our main courses came while we watched others customers being served who had arrived some time after us. In fact the couple we chatted to on the next table when we first arrived had their main course served within 15 mins of finishing their starter? Mostly the food was OK but a jalfezi dish was mostly onions and didn't taste like any jalfrezi we have had previously and my own choice - a balti - only contained four chunks of chicken, not very generous for a dish costing £8.95! The food was also not very hot in temperature. To top this I had to sit with my coat round my shoulders as every time someone went out the door jammed open and we were sitting directly in the path of a cold draught, and we had to get up to shut it a number of times. Maybe there was a staffing issue that we were unaware of - but we only had a muttered apology for the delay, but were asked if we wanted to order more drinks several times!! Would much rather write positive reviews but this experience was not a good one.

• Visited November 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review, the contents of which we were disappointed to read. Our apologies that there was a delay with your main course, and that there was an issue with the door jamming open. We are currently in the process of refurbishing the restaurant, so this will be looked in to as a matter of priority.

We do apologise for your disappointment in our level of service, please be assured that your comments will be discussed accordingly with the Head Chef and management team. In the meantime, I do hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our dishes and level of service in the future. Regards BB
Pontypridd
“Decent Food But Pricy Drinks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

I have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions and have always found the food to be good and the staff pleasant and efficient. I had not previously taken notice of the price of drinks but on a recent visit I was disappointed to be charged £4.85 for one and a half pints of soda water (with a dash of orange in the pint). I consider this to be a rip off and as a consequence I doubt I will use the restaurant again.

• Visited November 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BBNantgarw, Public Relations Manager at Bombay Blue, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Many thanks for your review, the contents of which we were disappointed to read. We're glad that you found the food to be good and the staff to be pleasant and efficient, however our apologies that you felt the drinks were pricey. We keep our drinks prices in line with other local establishments, so generally we do not feel that they are too expensive.

Please be assured that all feedback is passed onto the Manager, and your comments will of course be taken into consideration.BB
Cardiff
“Really Disappointing ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

Well what can I say, quite speechless, having ordered our meals and subsequently complaining about the fact that the meal was not what was ordered we asked for our bill, showed our tastecard, and was told it could not be accepted as pre booking was required. Now I have numerous friends who have used taste cards without pre booking at this restaurant so I was taken aback, having complained eventually the waiter agreed to reimburse me at which point I made it clear it was too late, consistency in approach to such initiatives is essential. Notwithstanding these issues, quality was poor and not as described on menu, my meal was supposed to be paneer, none to be found on my dish, the waiter did offer me a takeaway as replacement but sorry, too late!!! Really poor customer relations, left me flabbergasted, this was a Monday evening and the restaurant was over half empty, will not return in a month of Sunday's

Really let themselves down on all fronts.

BBNantgarw, Public Relations Manager at Bombay Blue, responded to this review, October 29, 2014
Thank you for your review, the contents of which we were disappointed to read. Our apologies that you felt the dish was not as described on the menu. All feedback is passed onto the Head Chef, and your comments will of course be taken into consideration.

In regards to the Taste Card, yes we do accept them, but as stated on their website we do require that you call and book in advance if you would like to use the card - http://www.tastecard.co.uk/restaurant/details/15791/Bombay-Blue. We understand that this is not always possible if you chose to call in, but the card does needs to be shown at the beginning of the meal, prior to ordering. I understand that the waiter did explain that he would take your card, even though this hadn't happened.

If you would like to provide us with any further feedback, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Regards BB
Rhondda Cynon Taf, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014 via mobile

Called here on a Sunday lunchtime "on the hop" Not an expert on Asian food but my wife and I started with the Chef's special starter for two followed by mains of chicken tikka chat and tapali ghost. Waiter was polite and very helpful and food was both tasty and enjoyable. A very pleasant experience, we will return.

Visited October 2014
Hi Dennis - thank you so much for your fantastic review and comments. We're thrilled that you both enjoyed your dishes and pleased that you found our front of house staff to be polite and helpful. We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon BB