“"Just something missing"” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newtown, United Kingdom
“"Just something missing"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Hilton Cardiff is one of my favourite city hotels and my wife and I have always enjoyed our stay at this establishment. The location is great, the staff are very friendly and helpful and because we always book an Executive/Junior suite room we are pleased with the space these afford. However, every time we stay at this hotel I feel that it is somehow failing to be as good as it could be. Let me offer a few shortfalls. Arriving recently on a very cold winters day our room was cold and took several hours to get anywhere near to comfort. I suffer from claustrophobia and always like the freedom of being able to opening a bedroom window at night, but every window is securely locked in the hotel. We once found ourselves upgraded to one of their best suites and asked if we might just have some fresh air in the sitting room area only to have polite procrastination but no action. I was somewhat surprised to note that during our recent visit the shower tray in our bathroom had huge crack and the tile floor was missing a great deal of grouting. However, I must reserve my greatest criticism for the food and drink facilities. Breakfast, is very good but the facility for lunch or dinner leave you with an overpriced and very limited choice. As a result we often find ourselves eating outside the hotel or as I notice in the Executive lounge other patrons stuffing themselves with "free canapes" instead of dinner. Then we come to my pet hate the price of drinks. Whilst I except that the hotel industry need to recover overheads and earn profits think about this fact before you order a Bombay Gin and Tonic in the bar - the gin you are buying is costing you £201:00 per litre (Retail £28.70 per litre) and the Tonic is £16.66 per litre (Retail £2.30 per litre) - No wonder the bar is often devoid of people.
My advice is stay at the Hilton for its location, its staff and breakfast. But slip into town for its many bars and restaurants for a drink and a meal. Then perhaps the penny will drop with management that to be a great hotel you need to deliver the whole package.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel following your most recent visit.

Your feedback concerning our service and location are greatly appreciated and will of course be shared with the team here at the hotel.

I have also noted your additional comments and may I thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can further improve our standards and service for our guests.

I do look forward to your next visit to our hotel and if there is anything that I can assist with please do not hesitate to contact me.

PA to General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Gloucestershire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

While I cannot comment on any other area of the hotel as we did not use the facilities, I would like to take a moment to pass on my thoughts regarding the spa and leisure complex.
The treatments we experienced; facial massage and back and shoulder massage were both extremely enjoyable, carried out by a vey pleasant young lady called Charlotte.
The swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room however were a completely different story. The steam room was not operational on the day we attended, no big deal we used the sauna. The main problem for us was the clearly apparent lack of cleanliness, lots of staff in the staff room but seemingly no work being carried out. The tiles on the pool floor were displaying pink micro bacteria, the wall tiles were black and filthy. All glass panels were in a disgusting condition and the jacuzzi really was atrocious, if you pulled your finger downwards on the side you were able to see the filth and grease that was covering the jacuzzi shell.In the water overspill traps at the side of the pool was enough hair to make a fantastic wig.The ladies changing room floor was filthy and while we were there we overheard an American guest complaining about this to the staff but nothing was done by anyone to rectify the problem. Come on this really is not acceptable, while we booked on a cheap deal for our afternoon we expected alot more than we received. Disappointing overall and a shock from such a big name hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel following your visit to our Livingwell Health Club.

It was really great to read that you enjoyed your treatments in the Escape Spa and the service you received from Charlotte. I was however extremely disappointed with your comments regarding the cleanliness in our Livingwell Health Club and may I offer you my most sincere apologies. I would like to reassure you that this is not indicative of our normal high standards.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Cardiff while I was in Wales for business. We arrived a bit early, and had to wait for our room (only an hour or so). We enjoyed some coffee and lunch in the hotel's pub. We also had dinner in the pub one night, and the food was very good. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, pointing out the best route to Cardiff Bay (and which routes to avoid altogether), as well as some better dining options in the city itself. The breakfast buffet was lovely as well, affording us a nice view of the street to people watch.

The room was very nice and spacious. We were there during a heat wave, so the AC could have worked better, but it was sufficient enough. The pool at the hotel is very nice, and during some down time, we enjoyed ourselves there.

The location cannot be beat. It was a 5-minute walk from the train station, and right across the street from Cardiff Castle. The major shopping areas were right around the corner, as were plently of bars and restaurants. It was also a 5 minute walk to Cardiff University, where I had my business functions.

If you're in town for business, a football game, or just to visit the sights, I think The Hilton Cardiff is one of the best choices around.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

Your feedback is very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future and if I can assist with anything please do not hesitate to contact me.

Basingstoke, Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night Jan 5, 2013 room 504 for 119.00 . The staff were so friendly and welcoming. The hotel is very good, clean and comfortable. Easy to find your way around within the hotel. We paid the 20 pounds for valet parking which I feel was well worth the price.
Our room was basic but very clean and comfortable with plenty of storage and all the amenities needed. Though the coffee tea maker is hidden in the desk so a bit difficult to find.
Overall we were very happy with the room though you can see it is clearly seeing some wear in places. The bed was comfortable and our room faced the castle, though there was a wedding party in the hotel that evening we did not hear any noise from them and slept very well.
As we were meeting family for a meal we didn't partake of food in the restaurant so I can not comment on the restaurant.
The spa was very lovely and welcoming in the afternoon before dinner out.
The concierge did recommend a seafood restaurant for us and he was spot on, it was fabulous.
Overall I was very happy with the stay and it is so very convenient to the castle and town.

Room Tip: 504 was a good room, as it faced the castle instead of the town and possibly high enough that we did...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
yateley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed recently on Business.
Very easy walk for shopping,restaurants and sporting events.
Stay on rugby match days and you might bump into your rugby legends.
Rooms large and my wife loves the walk in shower.
Executive lounge can get full very quickly in evening.

Wifi poor quality in rooms

Why do I always have to wait for the chef to appear to cook eggs.
Always , have to ask waiters to find him !!!!

Top marks to reception and conceirge .Very helpful and friendly.

Can get noisy outside on Friday and Saturday nights in early hours with partygoers returning home.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking castle grounds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and it was great to read your kind comments regarding our Reception and Concierge teams.

I have also noted your comments regarding your breakfast and please do let our reception team know upon arrival to the hotel and we will ensure your order is available the following morning.

I do look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went to see the rugby in Cardiff this weekend . Stayed at the hilton very disappointed to be ripped off financially . The hilton had increased their room rates from £100 to £400 per night just because the rugby was on. I have to praise all the staff, the breakfast and all the food we had was lovely , we also enjoyed our visit to the executive lounge . We will not be returning to the Hilton.

Room Tip: Don't pay over the odds when the rugby is on
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CWLCardiff, PA to General Manager at Hilton Cardiff, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your most recent visit.

I was pleased to read your favourable comments about our high service and the food in our Razzi Restauant and glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our executive lounge.

I am however very sorry that you were disappointed with your room rate.

I do hope that despite your comments we will have the oppportunity of welcoming you back in the future and if I can assist with your reservation please do not hesitate to contact me.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just back from a lovely weekend in Cardiff where we went to watch our Grandson in an inter-schools swimming gala. We arrived at the Hilton just after lunch on Saturday to be greeted by a charming young lady on reception who informed us that our room wasn't quite ready and would we like to have a coffee and she would call us when we could access our room. Within 15 minutes the room was ready and we were shown to room 406.It was a nice big room overlooking the castle, spacious and well decorated. The bathroom was fabulous with a large bath with hand-held shower and a large independant shower cubicle. It was well lit and tastefully tiled. Five minutes after arriving there was a knock on the boor and we were presented with some chocolates sent up from the lovely lady in reception to compensate for our wait. What a lovely gesture! The hotel is ideally situated for looking around the city and whilst we were there we visited the Castle and the Millenium Stadium, both well worth seeing.There are lots of clubs and restaraunts in the immediate area and on the Saturday night it does become quite boisterous but did not affect our stay.We have stayed in quite a few Hilton Hotels in this country and around the world and Cardiff Hilton certainly matched up to them all. Well done and Thank You.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor overlooking the Castle.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It was great to read your First Class review of the hotel following your most recent visit.

Your kind comments regarding your room and service are greatly appreciated and will be shared with everyone here in the hotel.

I do look forward to your next visit to Cardiff.

Hilton Cardiff

Been to Hilton Cardiff? Share your experiences!