“great value and very clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Acorn Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Acorn Lodge
You added Acorn Lodge to your Saves list
128 Cathedral Road | Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9JE, Wales   |
Ranked #34 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
home
“great value and very clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

stayed here for the football international - very welcoming.
The place is a brisk 30 minute walk from the train station - 25 mins from the centre of town.

Room was on the top floor and was very clean - recently decorated. Excellent power shower and good bathroom.

Breakfast was very good despite not being a 'cooked breakfast' - plenty of cereal etc to chose from inc. fresh fruit plus freshly ground coffee.

There is also a very good pub 2 mins down the road - the Beverly - cheap grub and a great pint.

Stayed October 2006

Families
Business
Maputo, Mozambique
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

We stayed at the Acorn Lodge in early June 2006. It’s located about 2-3km from the centre of Cardiff.

Generally speaking the place is a bit run down – our room was tidy but tired. A bit spartan as well. I can’t actually believe the previous comments as they seem to be talking about somewhere completely different to the place I stayed. For the avoidance of any confusion I stayed at the Acorn Lodge, 182 Cathedral Road, Cardiff.

The shower was an instant hot water system that had very little water pressure – and the hot water did not work on the morning of our departure despite working the night before (we ended up using the common shower down the hallway).

The hostess was friendly enough, but the breakfast was a ‘continental’ breakfast as advertised meaning cereal, toast and fruit juice. I was hoping it would be a continental breakfast like they have on the continent – pastries, croissants, brioche etc…

The Lodge has no car parking but we didn’t have any problems finding parking in the street. We did, however, have to put a notice in the car (supplied by Acorn Lodge) that the car contained no valuables which didn’t do much for our peace of mind. As an aside to this, we parked in a very expensive car parking building (70p per 20 minutes) in Cardiff that evening in order to go to dinner in town and when we returned the car parked next to us had been broken into by having a window smashed, so be warned and do not keep anything of value in sight in your car when in Cardiff. I would have also thought that if you are paying for car parking there should be some security provided.

Anyway, I would not go back to the Acorn Lodge again as I believe there must be better value for money in and around Cardiff, but if you’re visiting for the rugby or football and can’t get accommodation elsewhere you’ll find that it’s adequate but nothing special.

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

Stayed here on International weekend! Had a fantastic welcome from Bet & Ken (and cassy). We had a great time, cosy rooms, great company. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2004

I cannot say enough good things about the Acorn Lodge. I was amazed by the kindness I was shown, and I found the entire experience to be a delight. My hostess, Bet, treated me better than I ever would have imagined possible. She actually drove me to St. Fagan's one morning so I wouldn't have to figure out the buses, and on my rainy day departure, she ran half a block through lousy weather just to give me an umbrella so I wouldn't get soaked through and through. As for the rooms, they are clean, bright and airy. I am a non-smoker, who cannot stand cigarette smoke, and I was worried as the Acorn Lodge permits in room smoking. Much to my delight, I found my room completely free of any odors; I would never have known there were smokers around if I hadn't walked past the room beside mine and seen them indulging. In terms of the breakfast, it was gorgeous, with tons of delicious options prepared to your liking in the kitchen beside the dining room.
Overall, if you're looking for warmth and a tidy room, I can't imagine a better choice!!

• Stayed July 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2003

Wonderful Guest House, Cosy, Landlady extremely Friendly and a breakfast to die for

Been to Acorn Lodge? Share your experiences!