My Mum and I came to Cardiff for a mini break while my Husband went to the Lake District with my Dad for an energetic week of walking and cycling. We preferred the more relaxed option :-)
I have always wanted to go for a traditional Afternoon Tea so we decided that this was the perfect opportunity. We looked through several options in Cardiff and opted for Tides at the St David's Hotel and Spa. Mainly as it was on the waterfront and we would then be able to spend our evening in Mermaid Quay.
We both felt that the service from our waiter was of a very high standard with a degree of friendliness which put us both at our ease. Please do not assume that we are of a "lower" class, it is just that although somewhere might be a 5* hotel/restaurant, it does not need to be totally formal or "stiff upper lipped"
As it was a lovely, warm summer day, we chose to have a rather nicely chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc which was served along with our finger sandwiches which were all delicious. The only "odd" thing was that there were 7 of these for 2 of us!! After we had finished these our waiter came across to do a tea presentation. We both really enjoyed this aspect as we were able to smell the various teas instead of just reading a description from a menu. I chose the Sapphire Earl Grey and my Mum had the Persian Pomegranate (highly unusual for her as she is not normally a lover of fruit tea but she really enjoyed this.) When our teas were served, along came the selection of cakes, all served on traditional Welsh slate - a lovely touch although I was slightly disappointed not to have the traditional cake stand. Every bite was scrumptious and we were rather full by the time we finished nearly 2 hours later. We were rather glad that we could have a stroll along Mermaid Quay!!
Would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Cardiff. A fabulous treat for any special occasion or, just because you can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St David's Hotel & Spa is situated on the waterfront of Cardiff Bay. Dynamic and contemporary in style, the hotel incorporates an impressive floor-to-ceiling, glass-backed atrium that provides a vision of space and natural light. All bedrooms have private balconies and waterfront views. Just five minutes from the centre of Cardiff, St David's Hotel & Spa is adjacent to Mermaid Quay with a wide range of entertainment including The Wales Millennium Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere, EasyToBook, Hotel.de, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The St. David's Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. David`s Hotel Cardiff
- St Davids Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff St Davids Hotel
- St Davids Cardiff
- The St. David's Hotel & Spa Cardiff, Wales