“Afternoon Tea at Tides” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
bournemouth UK
“Afternoon Tea at Tides”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My Mum and I came to Cardiff for a mini break while my Husband went to the Lake District with my Dad for an energetic week of walking and cycling. We preferred the more relaxed option :-)
I have always wanted to go for a traditional Afternoon Tea so we decided that this was the perfect opportunity. We looked through several options in Cardiff and opted for Tides at the St David's Hotel and Spa. Mainly as it was on the waterfront and we would then be able to spend our evening in Mermaid Quay.
We both felt that the service from our waiter was of a very high standard with a degree of friendliness which put us both at our ease. Please do not assume that we are of a "lower" class, it is just that although somewhere might be a 5* hotel/restaurant, it does not need to be totally formal or "stiff upper lipped"
As it was a lovely, warm summer day, we chose to have a rather nicely chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc which was served along with our finger sandwiches which were all delicious. The only "odd" thing was that there were 7 of these for 2 of us!! After we had finished these our waiter came across to do a tea presentation. We both really enjoyed this aspect as we were able to smell the various teas instead of just reading a description from a menu. I chose the Sapphire Earl Grey and my Mum had the Persian Pomegranate (highly unusual for her as she is not normally a lover of fruit tea but she really enjoyed this.) When our teas were served, along came the selection of cakes, all served on traditional Welsh slate - a lovely touch although I was slightly disappointed not to have the traditional cake stand. Every bite was scrumptious and we were rather full by the time we finished nearly 2 hours later. We were rather glad that we could have a stroll along Mermaid Quay!!
Would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Cardiff. A fabulous treat for any special occasion or, just because you can.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your first class review of our afternoon tea and service here at The St David's Hotel & Spa. Your comments are very encouraging and an absolute pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team at the hotel, where no doubt they will further be inspired by your kind comments. Thank you for taking the time to offer great feedback. I can also advise that we are in the process of changing the afternoon tea spec and will be re-introducing cake stands very soon. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to St David’s once again in the near future.

Andreas Maszczyk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Room perfect and hotel facilities excellent. Food and drinks dearer than average but was of a high standard. Great location to visit bars around the bay and City centre easy to reach. Will be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and we look forward to welcoming you back to St David’s in the future.

Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the St David's previously when in was a Rocco Forte Hotel and member of Leading Hotels of the World. Then it was a five star hotel in every sense now unfortunately although still a very nice hotel with a great location I would consider it a good 4 star. Adequate, with good facilities but could do better. Unfortunately since its esteemed days as a top 5 star hotel it would seem that there has been minimal major investment in the property hence it's looks dated in parts, the rooms are a little tired and the service is a little bit hit and miss. There isn't really anything majorily wrong with the hotel it's those little touches and attention to detail that are missing. Examples are my room, two doors down from my friends and of the same standard, was missing the armchairs at the table and also the desk chair and had just a couple of rather uncomfortable dining style chairs. My room however had complimentary bottles of water which were missing in my friends room. The spa didn't have the Molten brown toiletries that the hotel rooms have and there didn't seem to be anyone going around tidying the relaxation room, refreshing the lounge area or tidying used towels from the poolside loungers. The breakfast buffet for the cost was far short in choice if what I expect of a five star hotel and although nice was basic.
These points are all fairly minor however are what i think makes a five star hotel differ from a four star hotel. Unfortunately this hotel seems to be relying a little too much on its past reputation and quality rather than contining to develop for the future whilst other hotels around it, often of a lesser star rating, are striving to improve and progress.
On a positive note the staff where very friendly and keen to oblige, the location is great and if you can get a good rate then its a good option. Just don't pay a top 5 star rate for what you expect to be top 5 star service and quality (and based on its past reputation) because I think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed that certain elements did not meet your expectations and I can advise that areas of the hotel are currently being refurbished. I was pleased to read that you found our team to be friendly and keen to oblige. Rest assured your comments will be reviewed with my management team. We hope you choose to return to stay with us for a future stay.

Andreas Maszczyk.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon in March 2013. As someone who doesn't stay in 5 star hotels, all I can say is we had a most enjoyable stay.
As you can imagine, we spent most of our stay in the room, and we were absolutely delighted with it. The bath was quite large, the bed and settee very comfortable.
Breakfast was superb.
Reading the other reviews, I suppose the settee didn't look new, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as worn out. In fact, it was so comfortable reclining on it looking out over the bay that if they do consider it 'worn out' I would be more than happy to help them find it a new home...
The rest of the furniture looked virtually brand new and very nice. We used room service hence not needing a fridge...

Room Tip: Get a suite for Views in all directions :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent comments. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the room in which you stayed. I was also pleased to note that your breakfast was superb and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel time and time again.

Kindrest regards,

Andreas Maszczyk.
Whitland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

On our way from a week away, not being to face home just yet, as we crossed the Severn Bridge we thought we'd call the St.Davids to see if they had room at the inn, and thankfully they did, so we a detour and had a very pleasant stay with them again.

Good views from the room, and excellent breakfast as usual. Was the first person in the spa in the morning, really recommend getting down there early when its quiet. Location as ever was great, we walked into Quay for restaurant booking and walked back on a pleasant evening.

The only place to stay down the bay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review. I am pleased to read overall that you had a pleasant stay here at the St. Davids. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's.

Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed for two nights in a deluxe room. I can't honestly see what was deluxe about it - the furniture was worn and not of good quality. The bed and bathroom was fine. There was no fridge in the room which amazed me - very disappointed. The views were excellent. The level of service we received throughout our stay was excellent and the food was good though they did run out of croissants early. It was easy to walk around to Cardiff Bay for a wander around the cafes and restaurants. It would be a good location if you wanted to go to theatre in Cardiff Bay but you would need a taxi or car to get to the town centre. The hotel car park was constantly full and we had to park in a pay and display car park. In conclusion - people excellent, physical infrastructure needs improvement.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you your recent review. Regarding the fridge not being in your room we have an extensive 24 hour room service menu. Also, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme and I hope we can welcome you back in the future to witness our ongoing investment.

Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at St David's on Tuesday night whilst attending the Bruce Springsteen Concert, and have to say there are a number of issues about this hotel that I found disappointing. We were apparently 'upgraded' to a superior room which did have nice view of the bay, however was seriously let down by very tired worn and somewhat tatty furniture. This room was in no way reflective of what one would expect in a 5 star hotel whose prices had been inflated to just short of £200 per night because of the concert.

Something however that concerned me more was an issue that arose at reception in my presence. A friend whom we were meeting at the hotel and who was also staying at the hotel whilst on business was told by reception staff that he had booked 2 rooms instead of 1. Unable to immediately produce email verification to the contrary he was told he would have to pay for the two rooms. After remonstrating about the situation and pointing out that there was sufficient demand for the room to be resold he was informed that he would have to pay for the room even if cancelled.

At this point my friend said that if this was the case he would avail of the room in that if he was paying for it he may as well have it. A couple of minutes and a phone call by reception later he was told that his room had in fact already been resold and was now no longer available, and on that basis he would be charged only for one room...!!!

I find this entire attempt at exploiting a situation in such a commercially driven manner so tactless I have decided that I would never stay at the St David's again despite the provision of a 20% discount and offer of free breakfast with my next stay presented to me on check out.

This is a classic case of short term financial gain presiding over good old customer focused care that ensures repeat business.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank I was very disappointed to read your review and will discuss your concerns with my Reception Manager. In the meantime I apologise for your disappointment. I would be happy to discuss these issues with you in more detail should you wish to contact me directly.

Andreas Maszczyk

Been to The St. David's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!