“Girlie weekend” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 81 hotels in Cardiff
Colne, United Kingdom
“Girlie weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Rooms lovely and clean.Staff friendly and helpful. Only gripe was very slow service or orders forgotten altogether in bar and restaurant.If I go to the bar to get drinks I want to be served not sent to sit down and then still be waiting 10 minutes later. We paid for bed and breakfast but I would not have paid the amount charged for breakfast and did find bar prices a little expensive too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your "girlie" weekend and particularly your bedrooms and the helpfulness and friendliness of the team.

I have noted your further comments which as always will be discussed with the team but in the meantime apologise for the delayed service in the bar.

We hope to see you again soon.

1,817 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Thai first
Rutland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over the bank holiday weekend which coincided with the Cardiff City FC celebrations - we are not football fans, and despite the hotel having a function for the team after the parade it didn't really impact on our stay - there were some very noisy and vocal revellers leaving at 4am who had little consideration for sleeping hotel guests but at least if you are woken up then you get to see the dawn break.... I don't think any hotel staff tried to keep them quiet because of who they were. I stay in many hotels for business and our 'Classic King' room was what I would class as a very standard hotel room - it was quite tired and ready for some serious refurbishment. The balcony was OK to stand on but had no table or chairs for health and safety reasons (plus the balconies are far too small....). One of the side screens was broken/missing on our balcony so you also had very little privacy. We had upgraded and that gave us a few small bottles of Moulton Brown toiletries, some still water, a packet of 2 welsh cakes, and breakfast - I wouldn't bother with this upgrade it's not very good value at all. Like Andrina commented upon, our air con didn't function either, so I advised the front desk and the maintenance team visited but that made no difference at all and we had to sleep with the balcony door wedged open using the waste bin....a quality 5 star touch....!!
Breakfast was OK but at busy time the queues are very long to the self service tables and not in keeping with what you would expect with a 5 star hotel - many good 4 star hotels that I use offer a full table service for breakfast with greater choice and no hidden extra charges. I would compare the breakfast here to something available every day in most Premier Inns.
The spa area was nice but doesn't have a steam room and when we went to use the spa terrace we discovered that it had been taken over by a 40 strong male choir serenading a wedding reception - a bit unfortunate for the couple that were laying out on sun loungers in their spa robes and costumes but I am sure they will look good in the background of the wedding photos....
My wife and I both had spa treatments and they were good but you need to book a way ahead to get your choice of days and time.
One evening we gave up waiting to be served in the lounge bar area and ended up drinking our own champagne in our bedroom - obviously we couldn't sit on the balcony for health and safety reasons, plus I'd forgotten to pack our high-vis jackets....
We were celebrating our wedding anniversary during the weekend and whilst the hotel were made aware of this when I made the booking, they made no acknowledgement of this during our stay - most hotels would at least send a drink, some fruit or flowers to your room - but not so at St David's.
The hotel is conveniently located for the bay area but is tired inside and out. The spa is good but the rooms need attention. Overall staff were courteous but I think they are well rehearsed in fending off guest asking about the rooms and facilities.
We enjoyed our stay but wouldn't rush back to this hotel - for what we had it was an expensive weekend away and I am sure we could have got a lot more for our money elsewhere.
And finally rather than respond to this review with the usual excuses, perhaps the hotel manager should contact a few guests whilst they are actually staying in the hotel and seek 'real time' feedback that they can act upon immediately ... just a thought

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review, the contents of which, as always, will be discussed and reviewed appropriately with my management team.

I am very pleased you had a pleasant stay and in particular enjoyed the location of St David's and your spa treatments, and yes indeed, booking in advance is strongly recommended as the Marine Spa is very popular and gets booked up very quickly.

I am sorry for your disappointment with the upgrade which guarantees a balcony, as you point out, some do not house tables and chairs for health and safety reasons, although a high-vis jacket really is not necessary! Master suites are available with large private balconies and these contain furniture.

Full table service breakfast is in operation Monday to Friday, with a self-service buffet on weekends. An A La Carte menu is also available 7 days a week.

I can confirm that the team had approached the couple on the loungers prior to the male voice choir commencing and they were very happy to sit back and watch the show.

I can confirm that we are continuing to invest in the hotel, having refurbished the bar, restaurant, conference rooms and bedrroms in the last 18 months with more works scheduled this year.

I respond to all guest reviews as a mark of politeness however I will happily meet with a guest during their stay, or in my absence there is a Duty Manager on shift 24/7, 7 days a week.

Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I initially had difficulty in getting through to anyone at st. David's in order to book 2 nights for 2 of us for May bank holiday. Eventually I was looked after by a manager who sorted things satisfactorily. He upgraded us to an executive twin room which was generally beautiful although tired in places but had balconies surrounding the room. The first disappointment was that there was nowhere to sit outside on these which was a shame as the weather and views were lovely. We then found the air con completely ineffective in the room and the system so noisy it would be impossible to sleep with it on anyway, the room being very warm at the time due to the fine weather. Also, there was no mini fridge or mini bar in the room. The food at dinner was disappointing too and not the standard as would be expected for the 5 star rating, although the waiter did not charge for my meal when this was mentioned.
On using the spa, I was not not expecting to find so many things out of use in the female facilities, ie., many lockers, one toilet out of 2 and one hair dryer out of 2. The showers were also much to be desired and needed upgrading.
Finally, the last straw was when we had the bill as they'd included charges for 2 meals we never booked or had on one of the 2 nights' stay we had there. When we pointed this out there was not much of an apology given either.
Summing up I would say the hotel could be faultless if someone took things in hand to care for the place more and improve standards of efficiency.

Room Tip: Make sure air con works sufficiently.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, the contents of which I have noted and will discuss with my management team.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointment. There is a Duty Manager on shift 24/7 who would be happy to rectify any issues immediately.

In the meantime, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future to enable you to experience our usual high levels of service.

Swindon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed at the St.David's Hotel and Spa in April 2013 for a Romantic Break and stayed at the Executive Master Suit. The room was spacious and comes with a large lounge. The hotel was very busy during my stay as there was two weddings they were hosting and as a result, the service was very slow and we had to wait a while to get the attention of the staff or when you make any request. The spa experience was very disappointing. We had a couple massage treatment at the dual treatment room. The massage was sooo bad and my 8 year old could have done a better job. We paid a lot of money for one night with spa treatment, but the overall experience was very disappointing. Will definitely not be going back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed the view and location of St David's.

I am however sorry that you did not enjoy the treatment you received in the Marine Spa and I do hope you brought this to the attention of the Spa Manager at the time.

I apologise for your disappointment and sincerely hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence and welcome you back to St David's in the future.

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at St. David's Hotel and Spa for two nights in May. The hotel presents well from both the outside and from first impressions in the reception area.

We booked a Classic King Room as the room description stated "panoramic views across Cardiff Bay". This actually means a view out the back of the hotel towards the docklands. We were a bit disappointed with the view from our room, as I think many other guests are. When we questioned the front desk staff about it they seemed rather too well-versed in their their explanations and they did not change the room for us or offer an upgrade.

The room was spacious and everything was in working order. A nice selection of toiletries were left in the bathroom.

Breakfast was OK, however it was not worth the GBP18.50 per person that we were charged. The lobby bar was great and the lobby bar staff were excellent.

The hotel's location is excellent for wandering around the Cardiff docklands area. There are many cafes, restaurants and bars within an easy walking distance. A short taxi trip will take you to the Cardiff Castle and main shopping district. The hotel has a reasonably sized outdoor carpark and there is overflow parking close by. Despite the misleading explanation about the rooms, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, the contents of which, as always, have been shared with the team.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the location of the hotel and the friendliness of the team.

We are incredibly lucky and indeed proud of our unique location on the water. I am sorry for your disappointment with your view over Cardiff harbour. Some guests prefer to see the comings and goings of the Bay, enjoying the views of the Millennium Centre and the boats coming and going, whereas some guests prefer the sea views out to the Bristol Channel together with the nature reserve.

I hope we can welcome you back to St David's in the future at which point be sure to ask for a sea view room.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for the bank holiday weekend. The hotel is very nice and easy to get to by taxi from the station.

The rooms are spacious and functional. The room looked out to sea (you have to pay more for these rooms). The Spa was lovely with nice pools and facilities. The bar was nice with a very good singer on Friday night. All the staff at reception and in the bars were extremely courteous and helpful. The only let down was that the balcony did not have a table or chairs, which is a little odd!

Overall, very positive.

Room Tip: high floor sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thanks ever so much for your review which is much appreciated and has been shared with the team. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Just to confirm rooms with larger balconies do indeed have furniture on the balconies, however smaller balconies would not leave enough space around the furniture thus not complying with Health & Safety guidelines.

We very much hope to see you again soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Spent a very relaxing couple of hours here today as part of wife's 40th birthday celebration. Never tried afternoon tea before and it was a lovely experiences. We ate at the Tempus At Tides restaurant which has spectacular views around Cardiff Bay. We were first given the opportunity to "smell" the various teas on offer. Teas then arrived in huge pots, enough for 6-7 cupfuls per pot. We were then given a variety of finger sandwiches followed by a huge choice of cakes. Food and teas were very nice indeed. Staff were excellent- highly professional, accommodating and courteous. We were never rushed at any point and it took 2 hours to get through the teas and the food- this was very relaxing and allowed conversation to flow. The hotel is immaculately clean and many people were enjoying drinks on the balcony. We didn't stay overnight but would be very tempted to do so in the future. Cardiff has a luxury 5* Hotel to be proud of! Afternoon tea at the St. David's hotel is highly recommended as a dining experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted you and your wife enjoyed the Afternoon Tea experience for your wife's special birthday. I have passed on your kind comments to the team which are always appreciated.

We would very much love to welcome you to stay at St David's; take a look on our website for our latest offers and best available rates.

Many thanks for the review and Many Happy Returns to your wife.

Graeme Barclay

Been to The St. David's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!